XJ overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ overheating

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
noirdombre
2000 XJ Cherokee 

XJ overheating

Yes another dreaded discussion about an XJ that's over heating. To date I have replaced the water pump, radiator, thermostat, upper and lower radiator hoses, and removed the stock mechanical fan and electric assist and wired in three 10in electric fans that pull over 4000 cfm combined. My jeep will run around 210 but has lately been getting around 260. Any ideas?

Thanks

Matt.

noirdombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Elexwiz
1987 XJ Cherokee 

IIRC the stock mech fan pulls almost 4000 cfm on its own. I think you short changed yourself. Does it overheat on the highway too? What about your radiator cap.
1987 XJ 4.0 I6, Peugeot tranny, NP231, AA SYE, 8.25" 29 spline, Dana 30 (HP), Rusty’s 4.5 inch coils, BDS 5500 4.5" shocks, 5" junkyard bastard pack, Rusty’s Adj LCAs, RC Quick Discos, JKS BPEs (front and rear), Aussie Lockers (front and rear), Durango steering box, and Removable Doors!
Elexwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The stock cooling fan are adequate for probably +98% of Cherokee owners. NoVa is not a Desert, stock fans can handle your climate.

2000-01 40.0L have the 0331 head, you should make sure your head is not cracked and the head gasket has no leaks.

Overheating cooling system

Overheating can be caused by anything that decreases the cooling system’s ability to absorb, transport, and dissipate heat, such as a low coolant level, loss of coolant (through internal or external leaks), poor heat conductivity inside the engine because of accumulated mineral deposits in the water jackets or radiator, a defective thermostat that doesn’t open, poor airflow through the radiator, a slipping fan clutch, an inoperative electric cooling fan, a collapsed lower radiator hose, an eroded or loose water pump impeller or even a defective radiator cap.

The cooling system is a group of related parts that depend on proper function from each of its component parts to keep the engine cool. Service the cooling system and replace any under-performing or suspected weak parts. Any component part of the cooling system that is not fully doing its job will stress the others and your cooling system will overheat. The most important maintenance item is to flush and refill the coolant periodically. Coolant should be replaced every 36,000 miles or every three years. Anti-freeze has a number of additives that are designed to prevent corrosion in the cooling system, but they have a limited life span. The corrosion causes scale that eventually builds up and begins to clog the thin flat tubes in the radiator and heater core, causing the engine to eventually overheat.

-Use a flushing/cleaning solution and then drain and fill the radiator with a fresh 50/50 coolant and water mix. With a neglected cooling system you may have to flush several times.
-Inspect the radiator for mud/bugs/grass clogging the outside and mineral deposits clogging the inside. Clean or replace as needed.
-Replace the thermostat with a STANT or Robertshaw 195* thermostat. Cheap thermostats are cheap for a reason.
-Replace the radiator cap if your Jeep has one. An old worn out cap will allow boil overs and/or allow the coolant flash over into to steam. You will see the coolant temps suddenly jump from 210* to the Red Zone and back to 210* if your radiator cap is weak.
-Inspect/test or replace the mechanical fan clutch. A worn fan clutch will allow temperature creep at stoplights, in heavy traffic, and on the 4x4 trails. A fan clutch that “looks” OK is not the same as working OK. Consider installing a Heavy Duty fan clutch such as the NAPA #272310.
-Inspect the electric cooling fan and the fan relay. Apply 12 volts and make sure the fan runs. Exchange the cooling fan relay with one of the others similar relays. Confirm that the e-fan starts when engine temps reach 215-218*. Repair or replace the fan or relay as needed.
-Inspect/test or replace the coolant temperature sensor that activates the e-fan.
-Replace the water pump. The pumping fins can deteriorate over time and the pump will not flow enough coolant to keep the temps under control.
-Inspect/replace the radiator hoses. Make sure the coiled wire is installed in the lower hose.

If you have covered all the points listed above and still have overheating issues, inspect the head for cracks and head gasket for leaks. Exhaust gasses entering the coolant can raise the temperature of the coolant or cause steam pockets in the coolant that will temporarily block the flow of coolant

Read more about cooling systems here –

www.offroaders.com/tech/engine-overheating.htm

www.familycar.com/classroom/coolingsystem.htm

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
noirdombre
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the Responses,

I neglected to mention that I did replace the radiator cap as well, on the highway I haven't noticed it getting overly hot. I was not aware that the stock mechanical fan pushed that much air... What do you think about replacing the stock fan and then in front of the radiator installing a couple of those 10in electrics as a push?
noirdombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Think about it this way... when that Jeep was new, the day it drove off the dealer's lot, everything worked perfectly and it didn't overheat. So if it's overheating now, that means that some part is broken, or worn out, or just not working as well as it did when it was new. All of this thrashing around with oversized radiators, electric fans, magic coolant additives, and cutting holes in the hood is just ignoring the fact that something is worn out or broken.

Find the defective part or parts, and replace them.
Unread 06-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirvine View Post
Think about it this way... when that Jeep was new, the day it drove off the dealer's lot, everything worked perfectly and it didn't overheat. So if it's overheating now, that means that some part is broken, or worn out, or just not working as well as it did when it was new. All of this thrashing around with oversized radiators, electric fans, magic coolant additives, and cutting holes in the hood is just ignoring the fact that something is worn out or broken.

I'm pretty sure some of them left the factory overheating
Unread 06-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgirvine View Post

I think this is an excellent way of looking at how a lot of folks approach problem solving. The fact however remains that the newest of the XJs is almost 11 years old with 100K+ miles. I'm sure no matter how much $ I put into it there is no way my XJ with 174K miles could feel the same way it did when I drove it off the dealer lot back in May 2000 with 8 miles on the ODO. Just like its owner...Getting old is a b!tch...
Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
I'm pretty sure some of them left the factory overheating
.....and the dealership fixed it under warranty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalali View Post
I think this is an excellent way of looking at how a lot of folks approach problem solving. The fact however remains that the newest of the XJs is almost 11 years old with 100K+ miles. I'm sure no matter how much $ I put into it there is no way my XJ with 174K miles could feel the same way it did when I drove it off the dealer lot back in May 2000 with 8 miles on the ODO. Just like its owner...Getting old is a b!tch...
.....but the cooling system can be quickly/easily put back to new for +/-$250.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

An older Cherokee will never feel the same as a when it was new. However, you can easy see and feel the difference between a neglected Cherokee and a well maintained one. Exactly none of my 5 Cherokees, has ever overheated.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
porphyry
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've owned 4 XJs, and the only one that has overheated has been my current one. I replaced the radiator cap on it, which cost me $5.00 at CarQuest. Problem solved.

My website: http://www.ozzypost.com
porphyry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noirdombre View Post
Thanks for the Responses,

I neglected to mention that I did replace the radiator cap as well, on the highway I haven't noticed it getting overly hot. I was not aware that the stock mechanical fan pushed that much air... What do you think about replacing the stock fan and then in front of the radiator installing a couple of those 10in electrics as a push?
Just put your stock fans on and figure out whats really wrong. I am surprised you haven't been asked for more information yet.

When/how is it overheating? How long ago did you replace those parts, and how long after did it start to overheat?
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:37 AM   #12
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by porphyry View Post
I've owned 4 XJs, and the only one that has overheated has been my current one. I replaced the radiator cap on it, which cost me $5.00 at CarQuest. Problem solved.
Is there a "rest of the story" here?.....how did a rad cap solve the overheat?
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMeister View Post
Just put your stock fans on and figure out whats really wrong. I am surprised you haven't been asked for more information yet.

When/how is it overheating? How long ago did you replace those parts, and how long after did it start to overheat?

Actual running temps ... or what the dash gauge indicates, would also be useful.

The fans you have fitted may be adequate ... once you sort out, how many need to be on at once ... and at what activation temps.

Pusher fans ... on a vehicle seeing highway speeds - can cause more trouble than what they are worth.
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wheeling buddy of mine has the 3 fan row thing on his XJ. It was getting toasty when wheeling.
Unread 06-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
Watz

One more thing

never mind I see you fixed it.
Watz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overheating

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.