XJ OEM trailer wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ OEM trailer wiring

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #1
Atl XJ

XJ OEM trailer wiring

Sorry for the N00B question...

Does anyone know anything about it? A while ago I had a class III hitch installed and I let them do the wiring since it was cheap and it was cold out and I didnt feel like dealing with it. Well, not too long ago my tail lights were acting crazy and I couldn't figure it out so I pulled the trailer wiring out and that was the problem and its been fine since. Its was just the POS trailer wiring they used. Well, I need to wire it back up so I can pull a trailer again but I want to do it right this time.
I assume the factory set up is better and I can just go to the dealership and purchase it and it will plug into the factory wiring? I've had that panel off and I noticed a few plugs off of the driver's side taillight wiring that werent hooked up, I'd assume thats where it hooks up?

TIA

Edit: Its a 95 if that makes a difference in the wiring.

Atl XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2006, 08:05 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Chrysler/Jeep has a trailer wiring harness that just goes into the stock plugs on the drivers side. Go to a Fleet and Farm type store or search Google for hitches and accessories, two companies that make that kind of parts are Hoppy and Peterson. Mine plugged right in and works great.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 03-07-2006 at 08:17 PM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
Atl XJ

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll check them out too.
Unread 03-08-2006, 12:44 AM   #4
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Hoppy's Litemate is what I had in my Jeep.
http://www.trailerwiring.com/cgi-bin...cgi?part=42455

It's simple to install and works great. Remove the interior panel, fish out the lighting harness, place the t-splitter inbetween the connectors.

Mine was installed incorrectly by the previous owner and instantly shorted out a few things on the trailer and the Jeep when we hooked it up to our trailer.

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 05:00 AM   #5
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

EDIT: My answer was covered already ... perhaps I shouldn't read threads at 5:30 in the morning.

08 Jeep Patriot, FD I CVT2 2.4L

02 KJ Sport traded ... I miss the ole' girl, except when I stop at the gas station

Last edited by usswasp; 03-08-2006 at 07:13 AM..
usswasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #6
G.Thomas
2001 XJ Cherokee 

When I bought my XJ I had a rear hitch installed. They installed the wiring harness so that it just coils up in the rear cargo area. Looking at the weather seal around tha rear hatch it doesn't look like it would pinch the wires of the harness when it's attached to a trailer and the hatch is closed on it but is this a standard way to attach a wiring harness in a Cherokee?

[B]"If at first you do succeed, try to hide your astonishment!"[/B]
G.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2006, 08:25 AM   #7
nylyon

I bought the Hoppy item from a local parts store ran the wire out by the left tail light then installed one of these for a nice clean look.

It hooks into the 4-way from the Hoppy and has extra wires for reverse lights, hot lead and trailer brake if you were to utilize these. I have a Hidden Hitch which has a nice opening to hold this adapter. Looks way better than the factory one too
Unread 03-08-2006, 08:31 AM   #8
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Thomas
When I bought my XJ I had a rear hitch installed. They installed the wiring harness so that it just coils up in the rear cargo area. Looking at the weather seal around tha rear hatch it doesn't look like it would pinch the wires of the harness when it's attached to a trailer and the hatch is closed on it but is this a standard way to attach a wiring harness in a Cherokee?
I ran my wiring harness out the back of the Cherokee next to the left rear tailight housing. There is a hole in the metal next to the light housing that is covered with a plastic cover. Took out my trusty knife and cut a hole in the plastic (more like sliced it) and feed the harness through there. On my 2000 XJ there was enough room that I didn't have to remove the light housing. On my 94 XJ, as the pictures will show, I had to remove the light housing to get the big plug through and then connect it back up. It then fits nicely down behind the bumper an then I zip tied it to the frame next to the hitch. Pics here.

02 KJ Sport traded ... I miss the ole' girl, except when I stop at the gas station
Unread 03-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
Atl XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexia
Hoppy's Litemate is what I had in my Jeep.
http://www.trailerwiring.com/cgi-bin...cgi?part=42455

It's simple to install and works great. Remove the interior panel, fish out the lighting harness, place the t-splitter inbetween the connectors.

Mine was installed incorrectly by the previous owner and instantly shorted out a few things on the trailer and the Jeep when we hooked it up to our trailer.
Cool, that looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I was at the dealership earlier today picking up a new fan clutch and a few other parts and I discovered they don't even offer the OEM one anymore.
Unread 03-08-2006, 04:43 PM   #10
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl XJ
Cool, that looks like exactly what I'm looking for. I was at the dealership earlier today picking up a new fan clutch and a few other parts and I discovered they don't even offer the OEM one anymore.
Nice. How many XJ's are on the road still? A half million? maybe more? Anyway, just score one from a good parts store. Happy pulling.

Unread 03-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #11
Atl XJ

I did a google search and I ordered that Hoppy's Litemate system. It looks like a good system and easy to install. I paid $38 for it with free shipping and no tax. I have no idea if thats a good deal or not but the price seemed reasonable so I went for it. Hopefully, I didnt get ripped off too badly because I was being lazy.

I went with some company called Hitches4Less.

http://hitches4less.com/1991-jeep-ch...er-wiring.html
Unread 03-08-2006, 06:50 PM   #12
usswasp
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl XJ
I did a google search and I ordered that Hoppy's Litemate system. It looks like a good system and easy to install. I paid $38 for it with free shipping and no tax. I have no idea if thats a good deal or not but the price seemed reasonable so I went for it. Hopefully, I didnt get ripped off too badly because I was being lazy.

I went with some company called Hitches4Less.

http://hitches4less.com/1991-jeep-ch...er-wiring.html
Advance auto has one a bit cheaper but then you have to add shipping and tax. That's a pretty good deal at $38 shipped to your house. Installation takes about 15 minutes ... 30 tops if you have to remove the rear light housing.

Unread 10-17-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
Dohc91gli
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same hoppy no splice system and it says to just run it out the hatch... There is a plug behind or under the tail light housing? then bring it out to the trailer from behind the bumper?

Yes it's an old thread, but this beats starting a new one.
Dohc91gli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Mine plugged into the harness behind the interior panel behind the spare tire. Bit of a hassle to pull the panel.
I leave the wire coiled up under the spare. When I need it, I run it out thru the hatch. The hatch gasket just squishes the wire when it closes. Nothing outside to corrode or get dirty. No need to pull a tail light.
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.