XJ OEM Springs - how to tell model / code / load rating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ OEM Springs - how to tell model / code / load rating

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 10-21-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
dday930
1999 XJ Cherokee 

XJ OEM Springs - how to tell model / code / load rating

I'm hoping to hit up a local junk yard that has a good selection of Cherokee's from years past. I have an XJ that has some pretty tired, soft front springs. I'm not a fan of driving in a Cadillac on that light, floaty feeling. I'd like an aggressive spring, that you can feel the road- I'm used to racing on the track, and want something stiff. BUT I DO NOT WANT ANY LIFT. I need to keep an OEM ride height. Don't ask. But please don't weigh in on lift kits and springs with 8" lift

I came across a great link detailing OEM springs, part numbers, codes, etc from this forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/u...chart-1149077/). Does anyone know if these part numbers or codes are marked on the springs? I was hoping to hit up the junk yard, and pull some springs and find a code that I can determine if it's a real soft spring or a more stiff/aggressive type spring that I am looking for.

If you can let me know if I can expect to find some sort of information, identification, stamp, code on the springs somewhere, that would be awesome!!

Thanks!

dday930 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Factory original springs were marked with a paper tag that is usually long gone.

Measure your springs, from center of rim to bottom of fender flare, 17.5" is the stock measurement. If the coils are not sagged they have plenty of use left. I suggest you buy some firmer shocks.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:44 PM   #3
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

I 'bounce" the springs if I have them out. You can feel the tension difference. Then measure freestanding height. Thicker diameter carries more too.

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
code , oem , spring , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.