XJ OEM factory front skidplate questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ OEM factory front skidplate questions

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

XJ OEM factory front skidplate questions

I have read on Web that OEM front skidplate not very useful on XJ with 3"+ lift.

That implies it is useful on stock height XJ. Is it useful on stock height XJ?

Would it be useful on an XJ with 1" to 1.5" lift?

---

Rusty's also makes something called Front End Strenthener and Skidplate http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...kid-plate.html

See in pic on Rusty page. Not the bumper skid, but the skidplate below it. Would that be of any use? Looks like less coverage than stock front skid, but I'm not sure since Jeep in pic is lifted a lot.

Charley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Humpily dumpily bump

Any ideas where I could buy an OEM front skidplate?
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

A lot of people pick them up from junkyards. I took mine off to derust and repaint but a year later haven't been able to bring myself to put it back on yet since it makes access, inspection, and maintenance much more difficult. I like the intended functionality but it's in my way far too frequently for what I get out of it.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Junkyards are a major pain in my butt for several reasons. The main reason being the nearest good junkyard is a 1 hour drive. The second reason is they are U-pull it type, but I am to handicapped. So then I'd have to pay my cousin to go with me. Not cost effective.

Maybe I could pay the junkyard to remove, but all the JY are 1 hr to 1.5 hr drive. So still a lot of time.

Are there any more convenient places to buy one? Online places?
Unread 04-12-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Does this look like the OEM front skidplate?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/S-52018009.htm

---

This Mopar Overstock place is selling a new one for $10.27, if I understand their website correctly. But says for XJ years 87-90. My XJ is a 99. Edited in Later: No longer available from Mopar Overstock.

http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p.../82200613.html

---

Here's a new one for 84-96 for $165. But my XJ is 99.

http://www.discountjeepparts.com/pro...ducts_id/23817

---

They also have new OEM gas tank skids cheap for 96 and older. Might have some for 97 and newer.
Unread 04-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #6
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Does this look like the OEM front skidplate?

http://www.quadratec.com/products/S-52018009.htm
Yes it does, very much so. Even down to the heat lines visible from welding the angle reinforcement on the backside

COTY 2009
Quote:
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Unread 04-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #7
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
Yes it does, very much so. Even down to the heat lines visible from welding the angle reinforcement on the backside
I added a couple more possible sources to that post after you saw it. Please revisit post # 5.

I'm notorius for posting, then editing-adding the same post several times as I find more info.
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:03 AM   #8
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

BTW - How much do you think it weighs? I ask because I'm figuring out what spring rate I want for front lift springs. I want to go soft as possible. Making a Jeepillac or a Jeep Deville.

Please see-revisit my prior two posts.
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:05 AM   #9
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

The Mopar overstock site price would be a dang good deal if it were later model. The XJ saw significant changes going into '91 and I can see differences in the skid on the Mopar exploded parts diagrams on their page, so I don't think it would be a direct fit onto your XJ. Not sure why they call it a Comanche skid if XJ/Comanche are interchangeable like I'm thinking.

Those exploded diagram views are great for finding every bolt and connector needed for the installation.

The Discount Jeep Parts link pic is the exact same picture as the Quadratec site.

COTY 2009
Quote:
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #10
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I added a couple more possible sources to that post after you saw it. Please revisit post # 5.

I'm notorius for posting, then adding-editing the same post several times as I find more info.
Got it, no prob. See my previous post.

Quote:
BTW - How much do you think it weighs? I ask because I'm figuring out what spring rate I want for lift springs.
Just a wild swag on the weight and only because I recently moved it from where I hung it a year ago for the paint to cure, I'd say about 20-25lbs.

COTY 2009
Quote:
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #11
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You are a great help. Thanks.

Quadratec is only source I found (so far) that claims to fit a 99, but I am skeptical because Qtec claims it fits 84 to 01. Is that possible?

I suspect Qtec is selling the same skid as the MoparOverstock and DiscountJeepParts places, but maybe Qtec mistaken about which years it fits.
Unread 04-12-2013, 02:36 AM   #12
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I have 1987, '88 and '96 XJ's so my intimate familiarity fades with the later models, but I'm sure someone will check in later this morning that knows.

When I go to the Mopar Overstock site and plug in specs for your XJ, it comes up with an appropriate exploded parts diagram but the option to add the front skid (part #1) to my cart isn't there.

COTY 2009
Quote:
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:14 AM   #13
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris87xj View Post
I have 1987, '88 and '96 XJ's so my intimate familiarity fades with the later models, but I'm sure someone will check in later this morning that knows.

When I go to the Mopar Overstock site and plug in specs for your XJ, it comes up with an appropriate exploded parts diagram but the option to add the front skid (part #1) to my cart isn't there.
Maybe the front skidplate wasn't made for XJs after 96?
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #14
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I put a first gen front and gas skid from an '88 on my '00. The front skid bolts on in factory mounting locations with bolts and nuts - I used 3 on the cross member, 2 on the drivers side, and 1 on the passenger.

The first gen gas skid will also fit if you trim the back portion a few inches and notch the side there as well to fit the larger plastic tank. It also mounts is factory mounting locations.

Not much really changed in the unibody from start to finish.
Unread 04-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #15
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
I put a first gen front and gas skid from an '88 on my '00. The front skid bolts on in factory mounting locations with bolts and nuts - I used 3 on the cross member, 2 on the drivers side, and 1 on the passenger.

The first gen gas skid will also fit if you trim the back portion a few inches and notch the side there as well to fit the larger plastic tank. It also mounts is factory mounting locations.

Not much really changed in the unibody from start to finish.
So an 87-90 front skidplate will fit my 99? That means I can buy a new front skidplate for $10.27 from MoparPartOverstock.com if I can figure out how to order from their website. I find it confusing.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.