XJ no start, code P1694, possible CPS or SKIM - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ no start, code P1694, possible CPS or SKIM

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-03-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

XJ no start, code P1694, possible CPS or SKIM

Hm. Where to begin.

I bought the Jeep with a known failure to start problem.

Well suspected the CPS since as it was cranking if you wiggles the CPS connector, it would begin to start as opposed to nothing.

Okay, but here's some more symptoms:
Gauges intermittent, more-so very rarely do they actually work -- so no voltage, or fuel, oil pressure will move from where it sits when off to 0, thats it.

So say I had a problem with the CPS shorting out, and causing the PCM to shut down thus giving me the P1694 which I'm still unsure what that actually is when I unplug the CPS wouldn't it allow the PCM to function and thus allow my gauges to work? However, no gauges even with the CPS disconnected.

Another symptom: My Jeep must be equipped with the SKIM, and when using the transponder keys it gives me the key with a circle in it on the instrument cluster -- indicating either a malfunctioning SKIM, or bad keys. Malfunctioning SKIM seems more likely than bad keys since they have worked before.

So what do I have? I have a 99 XJ that will not start, begins to start when I wiggle the CPS connector, however, gauges do not work whether the CPS is connected or not, I also have the SKIM malfunction light on on the dash.

What do you guys think? I don't want to go and have to replace the CPS only for it to be a SKIM problem, or vice versa.

Will the SKIM prevent gauges from working? Does the SKIM shutdown the computer?

BTW: I have fuel pressure

"Approximately 80 percent of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources."
Ronald Reagan

My goal is to have 20 lights around my XJ.

Currently: 10
XJMuscle98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

P1694 No CCD Messages Received From ECM. Bus communication failure to PCM. Look for broken wires, loose or dirty connections, chafed insualtion, etc.

In rare cases a failed CPS can blow the ECU. IMHO the SKIM is causes more problems than benefits provided. Disconnecting the CPS should restore gauge functions, unless the problem is related to the CPS or other wiring and not the sensor.

If normal common sense trouble shooting of the no-start problem leaves no other alternative consider replacing the ECU with a non-SKIM replacement ECU from the junkyard.

Google SKIM or check your Factory Service Manual, I think the SKIM needs to re-set if the battery has been disconnected.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'm at a lost.

I suppose the easiest course of action is to disconnect the SKIM and swap in a nonSKIM PCM. (since I already have the alt. PCM. That would eliminate the SKIM being the fault if the problems still persist.

I personally dont care if I have SKIM or not. I just need to start eliminating somethings.

"Approximately 80 percent of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources."
Ronald Reagan

Unread 07-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
Curly5759
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you swap in a non-skim ecu, it will learn from the exisiting skim that there is theft protection on the vehicle. The ecu will automatically 'learn' that there is anti-theft, and once learned, it cannot be unlearned. If you are going to swap ecus, I suggest you disconnect the skim module before installing the new ecu.

Curly
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #5
x99j

deleted

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly5759 View Post
If you swap in a non-skim ecu, it will learn from the exisiting skim that there is theft protection on the vehicle. The ecu will automatically 'learn' that there is anti-theft, and once learned, it cannot be unlearned. If you are going to swap ecus, I suggest you disconnect the skim module before installing the new ecu.

Curly
That's what I just said lol, now can it just be disconnected? Or does it have to be swapped out for whatever nonSKIMs have in the column?

Ronald Reagan

Unread 07-04-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Pulled SKIM today.

Going to swap in other PCM.

Now I imagine its a simple disco neg from battery, then just unplug, unscrew, replug and rescrew in the new one.

My doubts are high in regards to the SKIM being the problem, but we'll see.

Ronald Reagan

Unread 07-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
RstyXJ96
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Also check all your ground connections.
RstyXJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #9
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

had a similar problem to this on my 99 XJ, no IC and said no bus on the odometer. Turned out to be a gound that was where the negative battery terminal cable connected to the engine block. On mine it's very close to the distributor.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
VTEK1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:54 PM   #10
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I don't get a no bus though.

It'll tell me the miles, but no gauges will work. And sometimes if I unplug the CPS while it is on the on position the gauges will kick on.

However, if I unplug the CPS and then turn it on, they will not.

Ronald Reagan

Unread 07-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

there is also a TSB out there for this were they sell a $7 patch for the harness that connects to the IC. You should get a emery board, like the kind girls use for their nails to file and use it to gently scrape off any oxidation from the back of the IC terminals. I would try this first before trying the harness. I don't know if you know this, if you do sorry.

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 07-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Wait whats an IC?

Ronald Reagan

Unread 07-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #13
VTEK1
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Instrument cluster

Black Beast Build

MΘΣΝΔ ΚΘΒΦΘΡ
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #14
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yea, but the IC works fine imo.

If it was a bad IC connection, wouldn't I get a "no bus"?

Ronald Reagan

Unread 07-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #15
RstyXJ96
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Not necessarily, if only one or two pins has corrosion it would be enough to get intermittent problems like you describe but not set a code. I know that with the Dodge Neons there was a common problem of the solder breaking up on their clusters. I used to just pop them out, identify which solder joint it was and hit it with the soldering iron and not have any further issues. I don't know if this has ever been a problem with the newer Cherokees but I know from experience that not having connectivity to the cluster will not always throw a code.
RstyXJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
no , start , p1694 , cps , skim , cherokee

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.