XJ - new front clip on your 96 and back Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ - new front clip on your 96 and back Cherokee

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

XJ - new front clip on your 96 and back Cherokee

I was recently in a crash with my 96 Cherokee Country Edition.

Heres a writeup (my first) on how to upgrade to the newer, smoother front end.
This is a matter of personal preference, but I think that the 97-01 Cherokee front end looks way better than the old one. Total Cost - $350 more or less if you buy everything new. Junkyard parts will cut that in half.
What you need:
-2 Fenders (Certifit has them new $80)
-Header Panel (touchstone and certifit, ebay has the whole thing with grille and indicator lights for $120. Highly recommended, as buying everything individually doesn't save you much)
-Side Markers
-Courtesy Lights
-Grill
-Bumper Caps
-Fender flares
Tools Required: 10mm socket wrench, torx bit set, phillips head screwdriver.
First step is to take the header panel out (please add missing info, mine was remove by a 40mph taxi cab, so this is all memory). There are two bolts on each side holding the header panel to the fenders. These can be reached by taking the headlight doors off. On the radiator support, there are more bolts holding the header panel in place. Remove these as well. (Don't forget to disconnect your headlights as well as your other lights. The harness has a connector inside the engine bay a short distance away from the header panel)

Second step is to remove the fenders You need a torx set for the fenders. There are screws along the inside of the hood, behind the header panel, under the car close to the front door, under the car on some triangular metal supports (by the horns) and two more that can only be reached by opening the door (in the middle and upper area). Once these are removed, the fenders should come out easily. Remember to disconnect your radio's antenna. This is much easier after the fender is removed.

The only thing that you will be reusing will be your bumper and your headlights, as well as all the clips that serve as mounts for the grill and everything that screws on to the header panel. These are unobtainable, unless you get lucky at the junkyard. (this is how much you can do without those clips or some bolts)

Nothing has to be done for the most part in adapting anything. Everything bolts on and the holes line up perfectly. I reused my old fender flares and bumper caps. I like the new ones better but couldn't source any out on my budget. You can use the old fender flares and cut them with a saws-all if you want to save some green.

-Things that don't quite work
The side marker lights have a different housing, and so do not lock in place. I was able to wedge the old ones in place (because they line up with the light bulb hole) and they haven't moved or fallen.
The courtesy lights have two bulbs, as opposed to one like on the older cherokee. I just left the second hole empty, and the whole light still lights up fine.
If you can't get the header panel clips like me, go buy some bolts and lock nuts. They work well, but make installing the lower header panel bolts difficult, because the headlight doors have to be screwed in before the header panel is installed. And to install the header panel, you need to access a bolt that is covered by the headlight doors. Solution? Drill a hole in the headlight door.

fedx95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
mike94yj
1997 XJ Cherokee 

They old bumber and flares actually look good with the new front end. I have been thinking about changing my bumper and flares. They are much smoother.
mike94yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Kewl
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
mrnvgtr
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Interesting. I'd love to see a photo zoomed out of the entire car with your new front piece.
Unread 02-10-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Here you go
Unread 03-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

heres with the new bumper caps, you have to cut your original fender flares

Tags
cherokee , fender , grill , grille

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.