Xj lift and gearing help! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Xj lift and gearing help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM92 View Post
Is it really to much work to buy gears and install them myself or have a shop do them?
Yes. It's difficult and it's easy to screw up and waste a lot of money. It's about the only thing I'd suggest an amateur not try themselves. And even then I wouldn't just take it to any old mechanic, find a shop that specializes in it or has experience doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM92 View Post
Ok I'm determined it is the 3:73 I have the towing package and there is alot of torque so what route would I have to take if I wanted to do 4 to 4.5 in
How did you determine your gearing? You need to either open the rear diff and look at whats stamped inside or jack the rear end up and rotate a back tire while counting how many times the driveshaft spins per revolution of the tire.

A little more than 3 times per one spin of the tire: 3.07
3 and a half: 3.55
3 and 3/4: 3.73
ect

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexyxj View Post
32's are 11.5 in wide. 3.5 - 4.5 in lift will work depending on what you intend on doing. Lift prices vary greatly and you get what you pay for. Do your research.
You can get 32x10.5s.

OP figure out what size tire you want to run and go from there. You don't NEED 4-4.5" to run a 32. Are you willing to trim fenders? Cut inside and flatten out metal in the wheel wells? Or do you want to keep the flares and fenders totally stock? What are you going to be wheeling on that necessitates so much lift? If you're wheeling casually do you really need to raise your center of gravity so much on a DD?

Too many people get stuck in thinking you HAVE to have xx" lift to run xx" size tires without factoring in a million other important things.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #17
AM92

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post

Yes. It's difficult and it's easy to screw up and waste a lot of money. It's about the only thing I'd suggest an amateur not try themselves. And even then I wouldn't just take it to any old mechanic, find a shop that specializes in it or has experience doing it.

How did you determine your gearing? You need to either open the rear diff and look at whats stamped inside or jack the rear end up and rotate a back tire while counting how many times the driveshaft spins per revolution of the tire.

A little more than 3 times per one spin of the tire: 3.07
3 and a half: 3.55
3 and 3/4: 3.73
ect

You can get 32x10.5s.

OP figure out what size tire you want to run and go from there. You don't NEED 4-4.5" to run a 32. Are you willing to trim fenders? Cut inside and flatten out metal in the wheel wells? Or do you want to keep the flares and fenders totally stock? What are you going to be wheeling on that necessitates so much lift? If you're wheeling casually do you really need to raise your center of gravity so much on a DD?

Too many people get stuck in thinking you HAVE to have xx" lift to run xx" size tires without factoring in a million other important things.
Flares are off cut and trimmed/ rolled under running 235 75 15 toyo a/t seeing that my commute is 2 miles to work the gas mileage is not an issue
Really I want to be taking some fairly decent trails since I live in the north west the closest wheeling spots would be goat mountain and browns camp for anyone familiar with that area
AM92 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.