Xj lift and gearing help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Xj lift and gearing help!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 05-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
AM92
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 140
Xj lift and gearing help!

I want to lift my jeep and keep as a daily and wheeler.

92 jeep cherokee 4.0 HO
5 speed manual
rear axle is chrysler 8.25
does come with towing packing
175000 (miles)


my questions are what is a decent size lift and tires to run without regearing?

AM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
flexyxj
Registered User
2009 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sioux Falls,SD
Posts: 491
2" and 30x9.50-15's would be max assuming you have 3:07 gears stock. IMHO
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
AM92
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 140
Don't they come stock 3:73?
AM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
Muddy97Cherokee
Senior Member
 
Muddy97Cherokee's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mustang, Oklahoma
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM92 View Post
Don't they come stock 3:73?
You most likely have 3.07's. 3.73's only came with the tow and Upcountry package auto's.

Gearing
3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.

Onto your question. 3" would be great. its a great starting height and you only have to change a few things to lift it. And its one of the most economical kits available. Throw some 31's under it And you'll have a perfect DD and weekend warrior! You will lose power since your gearing is so low but you can change that by buying new gears and installing them. If you do not plan on regearing, which should be done anytime you install bigger tires, It would be hard to run 30's. 30's can easily at stock height but you won't have much flex. A simple budget boost would work with 30's but you would still lose power since you gearing is so low.
__________________
1997 XJ Sport
6.5" with 31's
Built to CRAWL
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
flexyxj
Registered User
2009 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sioux Falls,SD
Posts: 491
The difference between 235/75-15's and 30x9.50-15's will be minimal but noticeable on the highway or towing or in windy conditions.
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #6
AM92
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 140
Ok I'm determined it is the 3:73 I have the towing package and there is alot of torque so what route would I have to take if I wanted to do 4 to 4.5 in
AM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #7
AM92
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy97Cherokee View Post

You most likely have 3.07's. 3.73's only came with the tow and Upcountry package auto's.

Gearing
3.07 - used with 4.0L engine / manual transmission
3.31 - only available on older (pre87?) 2 door XJs with "Fuel Economy" package
3.55 - used with 4.0L engine / automatic transmission
3.73 - found in some XJs with the towing package
4.10 - used with 2.5L engine usually, and older XJs with the "Off-Highway Vehicle" package.

Onto your question. 3" would be great. its a great starting height and you only have to change a few things to lift it. And its one of the most economical kits available. Throw some 31's under it And you'll have a perfect DD and weekend warrior! You will lose power since your gearing is so low but you can change that by buying new gears and installing them. If you do not plan on regearing, which should be done anytime you install bigger tires, It would be hard to run 30's. 30's can easily at stock height but you won't have much flex. A simple budget boost would work with 30's but you would still lose power since you gearing is so low.
Is it really to much work to buy gears and install them myself or have a shop do them?
AM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
flexyxj
Registered User
2009 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sioux Falls,SD
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM92 View Post
Ok I'm determined it is the 3:73 I have the towing package and there is alot of torque so what route would I have to take if I wanted to do 4 to 4.5 in
Just because you have a hitch doesn't mean you have a factory towing package with 3:73 gears. What size tires do you want to run? 31's or 32's would probably be OK with 3:73's. 33's or bigger and you would want 4:10's minimum and 4:56's would be better. You can figure about 500-700$ per axle to regear. If you have the skills,specialty tools and knowledge to do it yourself,you could do it for less. If I had to do it again, I'd do a 3.5in lift and run 31's or 32's and leave the stock gearing alone.My .02 worth....
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
AM92
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexyxj View Post
Just because you have a hitch doesn't mean you have a factory towing package with 3:73 gears. What size tires do you want to run? 31's or 32's would probably be OK with 3:73's. 33's or bigger and you would want 4:10's minimum and 4:56's would be better. You can figure about 500-700$ per axle to regear. If you have the skills,specialty tools and knowledge to do it yourself,you could do it for less. If I had to do it again, I'd do a 3.5in lift and run 31's or 32's and leave the stock gearing alone.My .02 worth....
32's at the least is what Id like to run
AM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
AM92
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by am92 View Post
32's at the least is what id like to run
32/10.5
AM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:46 PM   #11
flexyxj
Registered User
2009 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sioux Falls,SD
Posts: 491
32's are 11.5 in wide. 3.5 - 4.5 in lift will work depending on what you intend on doing. Lift prices vary greatly and you get what you pay for. Do your research.
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:36 AM   #12
Muddy97Cherokee
Senior Member
 
Muddy97Cherokee's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mustang, Oklahoma
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM92 View Post
Ok I'm determined it is the 3:73 I have the towing package and there is alot of torque so what route would I have to take if I wanted to do 4 to 4.5 in
You have 3.07's. All manuals come with 3.07's that I know of. 3.73's only came with the up country package.
__________________
1997 XJ Sport
6.5" with 31's
Built to CRAWL
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 12:55 AM   #13
Muddy97Cherokee
Senior Member
 
Muddy97Cherokee's Avatar
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mustang, Oklahoma
Posts: 644
One you get up over 3.5 you are going to pay a considerable more amount of cash for kits. You start getting into territories that you don't want to mess with as a beginner also. If you have experience then why not. To fit 32's you will need at least 4" to clear without any kind of trimming. With less lift you will have to trim the fenders. 3" and 31's are perfect fit what you are wanting. Check out the non tech forum to look at lifts and tire set ups and also use Google. You will find that 3" is the main starting point for most xj owners.

And if you are wanting to run 32's, you will most definitely need to regear to gain all of your lost power back.

My $.02 is get a 3" kit and 31"s and see where you want to go with your jeep from there. You will also get a feel for what kind of gearing you will want if you want to go bigger. I am running 3.5" and 31's on stock 3.55 gearing and I have noticed a loss in power from the tire increase. I plan on lifting my jeep again and going to a bigger tire so 4.56 gears are in my future. Not saying that you need that low of gearing but you will get the feel of what you want. I am happy with what my jeep will go through but I have bigger plans and more difficult wheeling ahead of me.

Its your jeep and you can do what you want, we are just trying to get you to understand that lifting and gearing is a complicated business.
__________________
1997 XJ Sport
6.5" with 31's
Built to CRAWL
BUILD THREAD

-ZACK
Muddy97Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #14
flexyxj
Registered User
2009 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sioux Falls,SD
Posts: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy97Cherokee View Post
One you get up over 3.5 you are going to pay a considerable more amount of cash for kits. You start getting into territories that you don't want to mess with as a beginner also. If you have experience then why not. To fit 32's you will need at least 4" to clear without any kind of trimming. With less lift you will have to trim the fenders. 3" and 31's are perfect fit what you are wanting. Check out the non tech forum to look at lifts and tire set ups and also use Google. You will find that 3" is the main starting point for most xj owners.

And if you are wanting to run 32's, you will most definitely need to regear to gain all of your lost power back.

My $.02 is get a 3" kit and 31"s and see where you want to go with your jeep from there. You will also get a feel for what kind of gearing you will want if you want to go bigger. I am running 3.5" and 31's on stock 3.55 gearing and I have noticed a loss in power from the tire increase. I plan on lifting my jeep again and going to a bigger tire so 4.56 gears are in my future. Not saying that you need that low of gearing but you will get the feel of what you want. I am happy with what my jeep will go through but I have bigger plans and more difficult wheeling ahead of me.

Its your jeep and you can do what you want, we are just trying to get you to understand that lifting and gearing is a complicated business.
Lifting,bigger tires, and re-gearing can be very expensive and you can open a whole new can of worms like vibrations,alignment issues, and death wobble. if you have the mechanical ability and tools-go for it. If you're on a shoestring budget and are going to pay to have everything done-it will be very expensive. A 2" budget boost and tires with an alignment can be done fairly reasonable and without the issues I've described.....
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
AM92
Registered User
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Portland, Or
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexyxj View Post
Lifting,bigger tires, and re-gearing can be very expensive and you can open a whole new can of worms like vibrations,alignment issues, and death wobble. if you have the mechanical ability and tools-go for it. If you're on a shoestring budget and are going to pay to have everything done-it will be very expensive. A 2" budget boost and tires with an alignment can be done fairly reasonable and without the issues I've described.....
I have the budget boost Kit right now I like it but I want a little more lift I only spent 100.00 for the rear 2" blocks and front 2 in spacers in total
AM92 is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.