XJ Leans To The Side - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Leans To The Side

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
xj-jake
1999 XJ Cherokee 

XJ Leans To The Side

99 XJ 6" long arm lift kit. It sits leaning to the passenger side around an inch and a half.. Coil Spring bad? Spring isolator? I've check and everything is in the right spot..

Unread 07-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

That's a pretty significant lean. I'd be tempted to swap springs left to right and see what happens.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
xj-jake
1999 XJ Cherokee 

New 6" lift springs on order, the correct ones for the lift not a 4" lift coil with a spacer. Oh the fun of deciphering someone elses work. I just bought this a few weeks ago so I'm still working out some kinks...
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You can get lift springs at pretty good prices on Amazon. I was very surprised. 5.5" coils shipped for 80 bucks. I bought them to replace 4" TJ (3" XJ) and a 2" spacer. That was my latest stage of lift, but at least I knew who was cobbling what

Good luck with the mystery build. Getting under there will help you figure out what else may have been done well, or not well at all.

If it's driving well and steering OK then you've at least got a decent platform. I know that I do good work to my own rig, but I also know there are some items that other folks would probably question.
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
freebird_78
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Weird. I have the EXACT same situation. Just picked mine up last week and have the passenger side down about 1 1/2". Ordered some new springs too. We'll see how that goes.

What brand lift is on there now?
freebird_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
NormO
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just bought my first Jeep an XJ (2001) 4 weeks ago, it's stock height and suspension (I suspect) but noticed while it's sitting in the garage it leans to the driver side, about 1/2 inch at the rear and a full inch up front. Could this be worn springs / shocks? I want to lift this rig a little, about 3 inches, but don't want to create more of an issue before knowing what the real problem is.

thanks for any help.

-Norm
NormO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #7
freebird_78
1997 XJ Cherokee 

One thing that I suspect effected mine was that my driver's side motor mount was basically non-existent, causing the motor to sit about 2" down on the drivers side. Seems like this would put more weight on the passenger side, perhaps causing some of the lean. I've replace the mounts and can't tell if it made any difference on the lean (still there), but I wonder if it prematurely weakened that spring.

Either way, I've got new coils on the way, and hopefully, judging by the spring rate, they'll be a little softer too.
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #8
xj-jake
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird_78 View Post
Weird. I have the EXACT same situation. Just picked mine up last week and have the passenger side down about 1 1/2". Ordered some new springs too. We'll see how that goes.

What brand lift is on there now?
It's the IRO Long Arm Kit. Kind of a funny story with how the build went before I got it but it is what it is. The guy did it all right with the trans case crossmember and custom drive shaft and what not. Springs are in the mail as we speak so I'll update when I get them installed.
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
xj-jake
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsucka View Post
You can get lift springs at pretty good prices on Amazon. I was very surprised. 5.5" coils shipped for 80 bucks. I bought them to replace 4" TJ (3" XJ) and a 2" spacer. That was my latest stage of lift, but at least I knew who was cobbling what

Good luck with the mystery build. Getting under there will help you figure out what else may have been done well, or not well at all.

If it's driving well and steering OK then you've at least got a decent platform. I know that I do good work to my own rig, but I also know there are some items that other folks would probably question.
It is a great platform I've been very happy with how the road manners are compared to my last jeep with the short arm lift. Everything I have done so far has been amazing, not busted bolts or stuck anything. The guy was an antiseize freak which I totally appreciate. I gotta get this spring situation cured then put some wheel joints in and it should be pretty squared away for now.
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
xj-jake
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Springs showed up in 1 day. Rock on I will be switching them out tonight with a full report tomorrow morning.
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #11
freebird_78
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Perhaps I missed it, but what 6" springs did you go with?
Unread 07-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #12
xj-jake
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird_78 View Post
Perhaps I missed it, but what 6" springs did you go with?
Iron Rock Offroad. Support the local businesses. Springs in last night in 45 minutes and cured the problem. Less than half inch difference from left to right side.
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #13
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

That's more like it.
How do the springs that came out look side by side, same height?

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
freebird_78
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Got my springs in this evening. I too will have them on tomorrow and will report.
Unread 07-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #15
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

My jeep also leans. Always has, old springs and new.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.