XJ IRO long arms on a 3" lift - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 78 Old 11-26-2016, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Easley
Posts: 48
Also just put plexiglass in the passengers rear quarter since I flopped it s few weeks back at Gulches ORV lol

Attached Thumbnails
image_1480174042195.jpg   image_1480174085040.jpg  
Thejeepnewbie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 78 Old 11-26-2016, 09:51 AM
S8NNG8
Web Wheeler
 
S8NNG8's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena
Posts: 9,570
Maybe Wrangler taillights would tuck up higher. Then a stubby rear bumper and you're all clear.

D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline  
post #63 of 78 Old 11-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler
 
Timo_90xj's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Posts: 8,565
When I flipped my XJ the rear quarter windows were just fine


1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline  
 
post #64 of 78 Old 11-27-2016, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Easley
Posts: 48
Dang dude lol yeah quarter glass was fine it looks like :joy: But yeah I'm trying to decide if I only wanna stretch it an inch or two of if I wanna swap the leaf springs and stretch it 5-6" and make up a traction bar for the axle wrap
Thejeepnewbie is offline  
post #65 of 78 Old 12-13-2016, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Easley
Posts: 48
So I'm about to slide the rear axle back, only gonna move it about an inch and a half at the moment, I wonder if I'd still have enough slip yoke spline engagement to drive it home and to my local driveline shop for a longer driveshaft? Just a question
Thejeepnewbie is offline  
post #66 of 78 Old 12-13-2016, 05:49 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler
 
bluejunior's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 6,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejeepnewbie View Post
So I'm about to slide the rear axle back, only gonna move it about an inch and a half at the moment, I wonder if I'd still have enough slip yoke spline engagement to drive it home and to my local driveline shop for a longer driveshaft? Just a question
My quick answer? No clue. My suggestion? Mark the shaft's current position with a grease pen (or simimilar) and pull it out. You'll know exactly how much you have to work with.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bluejunior is online now  
post #67 of 78 Old 12-14-2016, 04:18 AM
RedJeepster1
Low and Slow
 
RedJeepster1's Avatar
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: East Haddam
Posts: 1,887
Garage
If you can find a rear driveshaft out if a 4 cylinder you may not need to get a custom one made.

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Red XJ w/ 350k+, AW4, NP231, Locked Rear, HD Crown Leafs, trimmed to fit 33's, soon to be a donor
2000 Silver XJ, Drivetrain from the Red XJ, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's <=== In the works
RedJeepster1 is offline  
post #68 of 78 Old 12-14-2016, 06:31 AM
S8NNG8
Web Wheeler
 
S8NNG8's Avatar
1995 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Helena
Posts: 9,570
Iirc the rear driveline on a 5spd is longer. But there too, a 4cyl 5spd would likely be even longer than a 4.0 5spd. And be sure the splines match.

D3<!L!>3D
S8NNG8 is offline  
post #69 of 78 Old 12-19-2016, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Easley
Posts: 48
Alright I'll look into that! Ready to get this buttoned up so I can get back out wheeling!
RedJeepster1 likes this.
Thejeepnewbie is offline  
post #70 of 78 Old 03-18-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Easley
Posts: 48
So.... Guys I'm back! Got the jeep together after the stretch, found out the rear drive shaft out of a 5.2 v8 ZJ is perfect length for what I need, it bolted right up and haven't had any problem with it after the first wheeling trip... Didn't do anything crazy yet! But only the be short lived... I now has a ripped unibody, the whole drivers front at the steering box is ripped loose, would barely turn to make it into my shop... So I have ruffstuff frame stiffeners, shock mounts for the rear... Iron Rock offroad steering box spacer, and extended rear brake line... So I'm hoping by the end of next weekend I will be able to drive it to work on Monday and get it out of the shop for the first real time in about 3 months! Also seem to have what I believe to be a stuck valve in cylinder 2 bc it has no compression, but has fuel and spark, sounds like it's misfiring horribly... It's never ending right now... But it's still been a hell of a project, also still have the 37s on a stock locked d30/c8.25 haha no problems yet
Attached Thumbnails
image_1489897858568.jpg  
Thejeepnewbie is offline  
post #71 of 78 Old 03-18-2017, 10:52 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler
 
bluejunior's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 6,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejeepnewbie View Post
So.... Guys I'm back! Got the jeep together after the stretch, found out the rear drive shaft out of a 5.2 v8 ZJ is perfect length for what I need, it bolted right up and haven't had any problem with it after the first wheeling trip... Didn't do anything crazy yet! But only the be short lived... I now has a ripped unibody, the whole drivers front at the steering box is ripped loose, would barely turn to make it into my shop... So I have ruffstuff frame stiffeners, shock mounts for the rear... Iron Rock offroad steering box spacer, and extended rear brake line... So I'm hoping by the end of next weekend I will be able to drive it to work on Monday and get it out of the shop for the first real time in about 3 months! Also seem to have what I believe to be a stuck valve in cylinder 2 bc it has no compression, but has fuel and spark, sounds like it's misfiring horribly... It's never ending right now... But it's still been a hell of a project, also still have the 37s on a stock locked d30/c8.25 haha no problems yet
If you're really worries about that area after the repair, take a look at ironmanfab.com. best steering box brace design I've seen for an XJ, even has an option to add more support to the sector shaft with a large bearing attached to the brace.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bluejunior is online now  
post #72 of 78 Old 03-22-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Easley
Posts: 48
I was looking at that! Might end up doing that, but I'm also having to do some more engine work now on top of this, plus not to mention that I swapped a motor in a few months back, so deciding if I wanna swap the whole engine or just swap the head lol plus my daily just got wrecked the other week, wasn't my fault but still a set back on top of a set back on top of a set back lol I must say I'm loving how the jeep is turning out so far, it's just coming together really slow
Attached Thumbnails
image_1490192916428.jpg  
Thejeepnewbie is offline  
post #73 of 78 Old 03-22-2017, 01:21 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler
 
bluejunior's Avatar
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas
Posts: 6,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejeepnewbie View Post
I was looking at that! Might end up doing that, but I'm also having to do some more engine work now on top of this, plus not to mention that I swapped a motor in a few months back, so deciding if I wanna swap the whole engine or just swap the head lol plus my daily just got wrecked the other week, wasn't my fault but still a set back on top of a set back on top of a set back lol I must say I'm loving how the jeep is turning out so far, it's just coming together really slow
You've gone bigger faster than a lot of us and it looks great, don't let the setbacks get you down!

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bluejunior is online now  
post #74 of 78 Old 03-22-2017, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Easley
Posts: 48
Thanks, yeah I started moving forward really quick after I bought a daily driver, since then my jeep has been basically sitting in the shop while I'm slowly putting in work on it, the only time it was ever pulled out was to put it on the trailer and take it to our local badass ORV park, then I drove it to oreilly auto parts the other week and after I pulled out I noticed my steering wheel was cocked to the side a lot, only t get home and realize my unibody was ripped all the way thru at the steering box, it's been parked and torn apart ever since, got some stuff from ruffstuff specialties on the way, along with an IRO steering box spacer and extended brake line for the rear since the stretch! I'm still in disbelief that I found a driveshaft in my local junk yard that fit perfect with no mods at all!
Thejeepnewbie is offline  
post #75 of 78 Old 03-22-2017, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Easley
Posts: 48
Here is a picture of one of the larger rips in the unibody
Attached Thumbnails
image_1490233019795.jpg  
Thejeepnewbie is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome