1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 78 Old 03-26-2016, 02:51 PM
shooptube
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by S8NNG8 View Post

You may as well cut them off for aesthetic purposes. If you were ever gonna put it back to short arm just buy some HD brackets and be better off.
True true. Good man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

Vaginal condoms. I wheel a minivan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 78 Old 10-27-2016, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Been a while, but I'm back after working on the jeep some more, it's now 3" long armed, locked front and rear and sitting on 37x14 bias iroks, been wheeling the hell out of it, broke one d30 shaft u-joint, got new shafts and put the spicer 5-760x u-joints in and have yet to have a problem, so basically I've done everything that the forum says can't be done, steering is next on the list
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
post #48 of 78 Old 10-27-2016, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I also just got finished with swapping another 4.0 in after I lost a piston in the last one with 240k on it, got a shifter from RADesigns to control my shifts for my AW4 and I had too much fun in 1st gear on rev limiter lol but it's all good again, still more to come
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

post #49 of 78 Old 10-27-2016, 10:45 AM
RedJeepster1
Low and Slow

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Glad it's been working out for you. I am looking into finally going to long arms on my XJ but have been considering going higher... Most of the trails I run are very rutted out and rocky and I think the extra height will help. I am currently sitting at 1.5" on 33's. You running skid plates to help with the fact that you are as low as you are? Looks like your rocker panels have been taking a beating.

How much up travel do you have in the rear? I am getting about 5" currently and my 33's hit the front, top, and rear of the fender at the same time with the cut and fold. I imagine your getting a litte less up travel with 37's at only 3".

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Red XJ w/ 350k+, AW4, NP231, Locked Rear, HD Crown Leafs, trimmed to fit 33's, soon to be a donor
2000 Silver XJ, Drivetrain from the Red XJ, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's <=== In the works
post #50 of 78 Old 10-27-2016, 11:31 AM
S8NNG8
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Good job bud. Glad to hear you're pleased with the end result. Idk how many folks are gonna follow in your footsteps, but you have proven it can be done and end up somewhat functional. Do the long arms hit the frame rail on uptravel?

D3<!L!>3D
post #51 of 78 Old 10-27-2016, 12:49 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Good job bud. Glad to hear you're pleased with the end result. Idk how many folks are gonna follow in your footsteps, but you have proven it can be done and end up somewhat functional. Do the long arms hit the frame rail on uptravel?
I've been toying with the idea for awhile and started following this when it popped up. I'd likely go for a 3 or 4 link instead of a radius arm though. CavFab most likely.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #52 of 78 Old 10-27-2016, 01:25 PM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
IIRC it was about 10 years ago when an (ex?) forum member KTMracer went the low COG route with wider axles, running 37s and IIRC something like 2"-3" lift height. Everyone at the time was saying he is stupid and it can't be done ... "you need at least 8" of lift for 37s"

I built my XJ around 4" true lift height, long arms and 35s. I could've done it on 3" lift. IMO, something like JK Rubi axle swap + 37s and ~3" lift for an XJ would be pretty ideal. Preferrably 3-link front + dbl. tri. 4-link rear.

To the OP: I would not expect your front axle to survive too long with the 37s, but with good luck it may work for awhile. I would start saving for a D44 swap.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #53 of 78 Old 10-27-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepster1 View Post
Glad it's been working out for you. I am looking into finally going to long arms on my XJ but have been considering going higher... Most of the trails I run are very rutted out and rocky and I think the extra height will help. I am currently sitting at 1.5" on 33's. You running skid plates to help with the fact that you are as low as you are? Looks like your rocker panels have been taking a beating.

How much up travel do you have in the rear? I am getting about 5" currently and my 33's hit the front, top, and rear of the fender at the same time with the cut and fold. I imagine your getting a litte less up travel with 37's at only 3".
Yes they have taken a beatin pretty bad, I use my long arms and crossmember as my skid and I tell you, it's tough! Never had a single issue, I figure I'll use up my rocker panels then cut them out and replace them with 2x6 or whatever size it is people use for replacing those and for use as Rick sliders, now uptravel... The front stops perfectly for the 37s, leaves about an inch for tire clearance and full tuck, now the rear still needs some work but for now it has about 2" of uptravel and I'm still working on some bumpstops lol
post #54 of 78 Old 10-27-2016, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks! I personally love it and it turns heads big time on the trails at my local orv park! The long arms don't hit a single thing, now if you kept 3" lift shocks and kept stock bumpstops, they might but I have yet to have a clearance issue with them!
post #55 of 78 Old 10-27-2016, 04:17 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejeepnewbie View Post
Yes they have taken a beatin pretty bad, I use my long arms and crossmember as my skid and I tell you, it's tough! Never had a single issue, I figure I'll use up my rocker panels then cut them out and replace them with 2x6 or whatever size it is people use for replacing those and for use as Rick sliders, now uptravel... The front stops perfectly for the 37s, leaves about an inch for tire clearance and full tuck, now the rear still needs some work but for now it has about 2" of uptravel and I'm still working on some bumpstops lol
If I could fab better (or knew someone with access to a good shop) I'd replicate the Dirtbound u-bolt plate design for rear stops. Easy to adjust and should be plenty solid. They're just real proud of them (dirtbound is really proud of everything but their bumpers)

post #56 of 78 Old 10-27-2016, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
I've been toying with the idea for awhile and started following this when it popped up. I'd likely go for a 3 or 4 link instead of a radius arm though. CavFab most likely.
The radius arm setup works perfectly at 3" if you got enough caster adjustment, plus it stretches the front about 2" just bc of how long they are, so it worked out good for me running big tires! Plus it keeps my pinion in a perfect line with the front driveshaft
post #57 of 78 Old 10-27-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
IIRC it was about 10 years ago when an (ex?) forum member KTMracer went the low COG route with wider axles, running 37s and IIRC something like 2"-3" lift height. Everyone at the time was saying he is stupid and it can't be done ... "you need at least 8" of lift for 37s"

I built my XJ around 4" true lift height, long arms and 35s. I could've done it on 3" lift. IMO, something like JK Rubi axle swap + 37s and ~3" lift for an XJ would be pretty ideal. Preferrably 3-link front + dbl. tri. 4-link rear.

To the OP: I would not expect your front axle to survive too long with the 37s, but with good luck it may work for awhile. I would start saving for a D44 swap.
Yeah I've been thinking but I've got probably 20 trips under the d30s belt with the 37s and have yet to have a major issue, opened the diff up about a week ago to swap fluid and no cracks or chips, metal of any kind so I think for what it is, the d30 has been a damn tough axle
post #58 of 78 Old 10-27-2016, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
If I could fab better (or knew someone with access to a good shop) I'd replicate the Dirtbound u-bolt plate design for rear stops. Easy to adjust and should be plenty solid.
Yeah I'm slowing down in the jeep some cause I've got another project I'm working on and doing both is tough lol but bumpstops and steering is next
post #59 of 78 Old 10-27-2016, 04:31 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejeepnewbie View Post
The radius arm setup works perfectly at 3" if you got enough caster adjustment, plus it stretches the front about 2" just bc of how long they are, so it worked out good for me running big tires! Plus it keeps my pinion in a perfect line with the front driveshaft

It's not that I think it wouldn't work, it's just that I appreciate the added stability of true 3 or 4 link. I was cruising at 85 just to keep up with traffic this morning, the ride home has an even longer stretch like that. That's why I've kept my lift pretty low so far. Well that and the towing. It's just a matter of either A) boosting to ~4"-4.5" and using drop brackets to relevel with true 4-link or B) staying low and trying out a long arm. Honestly I don't ever want to go over 33's because I don't need them for what I do and I don't want to regear. So staying lower is more appealing on that front.

post #60 of 78 Old 11-26-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

So even more work has been getting done to the old Cherokee, it's now getting comp cut and stretched a few inches in the rear, got most of the metal out of the way just got to relocate the filler neck and what not and finish cutting and start replacing metal, ended up with carbon monoxide poisoning from driving the damn thing home but I'm over that and ready to start back on it
Attached Thumbnails
image_1480173796055.jpg   image_1480173818982.jpg   image_1480173849095.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.