XJ IRO long arms on a 3" lift - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 78 Old 02-10-2016, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Alright so the long arms are here and I can't wait to jump on this over the weekend, got everything I need. Brakelines I installed last weekend, bumpstops will probably come tomorrow and start the LAs Friday night Into Saturday if I have to! I'm excited to see how this works out

Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 78 Old 02-14-2016, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

So I spent all weekend workin on this and all I have left is the bump stops, but I got it all put together and driving, I didn't get many pictures of the install but I definitely think this was well worth the expense just bc of the ride quality improvement and the flex has changed drastically! The install was pretty straight forward but it did push the front axle forward about an inch or so since the lift was so small, the upper control arms were a pain to get off and ended up having to cut the bolts off and part of my glove and finger haha but if you're thinking about doing this, idk about anything other than the IRO long arms but you will have to move some exhaust around since the passengers arm over laps the exhaust by about a half inch or more and all the stock mounts have to come off, so if you don't feel comfortable cutting things off and making your jeep a permanent long arm jeep I wouldn't try this, you take a chance of cutting them off and the long arms causing an issue and you won't be able to bolt the stock stuff back up! Any questions feel free to ask!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
post #33 of 78 Old 02-14-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here is a before and after shot of my jeep flexed out with the aftermarket short arms with Johnny joints and the bottom picture with the new long arms!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

post #34 of 78 Old 02-14-2016, 06:12 PM
TheBEATTIE
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Nice!!! So other than the exhaust and lca mounts everything else clears? If so IRO might be getting some of my money in the near future

1993 YJ - 2.5l, 5spd. Totaled, RIP
1999 XJ - 4.0l, 5spd, np231, d30, 8.25, rc 3", 33s
post #35 of 78 Old 02-15-2016, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

For the most part, but you will have to bumpstop to almost no up travel, it's not for a daily driver unless you're crazy like me lol I'm also not 100% sure the caser adjuster has enough adjustment so I just maxed it out till I take it to the alignment shop
post #36 of 78 Old 02-19-2016, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Alright so I've got two sets of shocks sitting around for this build, got them bc they were cheap and will help give me an idea about what imma like better with these long arms, I've got 2 sets of rustys Rx100s one is for a 4.5" lift and the other is for a 6" lift, I ran the 4.5" lift shocks in the before and after picture above, the 6" shocks I just put on tonight and will show tomorrow what it'll really do! They limit up travel very nicely, especially since I plan on running bigger tires, they will stop the axle at a very good point so I'm not running everything I can lol I'm new to the forums and I'm only 19 so I'm trying my nest to keep updating this post
post #37 of 78 Old 02-21-2016, 01:07 PM
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejeepnewbie View Post
Alright so I've got two sets of shocks sitting around for this build, got them bc they were cheap and will help give me an idea about what imma like better with these long arms, I've got 2 sets of rustys Rx100s one is for a 4.5" lift and the other is for a 6" lift, I ran the 4.5" lift shocks in the before and after picture above, the 6" shocks I just put on tonight and will show tomorrow what it'll really do! They limit up travel very nicely, especially since I plan on running bigger tires, they will stop the axle at a very good point so I'm not running everything I can lol I'm new to the forums and I'm only 19 so I'm trying my nest to keep updating this post
You should not be using your shocks as bumpstops. And no way you should be running shocks built for a 6" lift on a 3" lift unless you have moved the mounting points quite a bit. Get some hockey pucks to extend your bumpstops and save your shocks. Check out Bilstein short body shocks if you want to keep any sort of uptravel, or just raise the lower mounting point of a set of 3" lift shocks. If you want to save money, find some JK Rubicon shocks, which should be longer than your stockers.

I don't really see the point of running longarms with a 3" lift and 31's. Maybe a custom 3/4 link, but not the IRO half radius kit. Or maybe if you were stuffing 35's in there and needed a lot of travel, but you can't be going through anything super tough with that little clearance. But since you already did it, which is fine, just get a decent shock in the correct length.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
post #38 of 78 Old 02-21-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
You should not be using your shocks as bumpstops. And no way you should be running shocks built for a 6" lift on a 3" lift unless you have moved the mounting points quite a bit. Get some hockey pucks to extend your bumpstops and save your shocks. Check out Bilstein short body shocks if you want to keep any sort of uptravel, or just raise the lower mounting point of a set of 3" lift shocks. If you want to save money, find some JK Rubicon shocks, which should be longer than your stockers.

I don't really see the point of running longarms with a 3" lift and 31's. Maybe a custom 3/4 link, but not the IRO half radius kit. Or maybe if you were stuffing 35's in there and needed a lot of travel, but you can't be going through anything super tough with that little clearance. But since you already did it, which is fine, just get a decent shock in the correct length.
The shocks give me a few inches up travel and as I stated previously I plan on running bigger tires! They ride fine on the road and don't bottom out I've bump and speed bumps, I've got extended bumpstops and soon to have hockey pucks going in, I plan on running 33s or 35s, I'm keeping it as low as it can go plus I can still twist it up like a lift twice my size so I think I'm going in a great direction but I understand everybody has their opinion and I respect that! But thanks to all the guys helping me! I was jus about to hop on and see what everybody's input would be for running 35s? I got a D30/8.25 Locked/Locked and I've got some steering upgrades and gears to do if I go with 35s
post #39 of 78 Old 02-22-2016, 01:08 PM
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

After running a 3" lift and 32's for a while, I learned that I needed a lot more ground clearance in the pointy east coast rocks. Went to a 4.5" lift, then needed more axle clearance, so I went to 35" tires. Cut a lot of fender, bumpstopped, and I thought it was a perfect setup. Still very low COG and stable, but plenty of clearance on the trails. I feel you will be very limited by your belly clearance and uptravel. Keeping the big tires out of your fenders means bumpstopping for very little uptravel, which means leaning the jeep over a lot more.

As far as the tires go, my advice is to upgrade everything you possibly can before going to 35s. I'm talking beefy steering, new unit bearings, better brakes pads and rotors, fix your drums or upgrade to rear disc brakes, and definitely gears/lockers/shafts. Upgrade anything you can to prevent trail breakage and repairs. Some guys will wing it and don't mind fixing stuff on the trails. I hated it, just a waste of time when I could be wheeling.

Gears for 35s should be 4.56 or 4.88. Get a good installer and a full case locker and beefy diff cover on the front will keep your gears intact. Aftermarket shafts and good u-joints on the front are almost a must. I ran an ARB and RCV's in the front axle for full beef. Still broke the ring gear from a bad install.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit
post #40 of 78 Old 03-23-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

My first wheeling trip with the long arms was a big success! Even on 31s, 33s will be coming soon enough, just waiting on the right set! But my flex is crazy and stays very stable on off camber situations!
Attached Thumbnails
image_1458785721669.jpg   image_1458785828340.jpg  
post #41 of 78 Old 03-23-2016, 10:03 PM
RedJeepster1
Low and Slow

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Glad to hear that you are happy with the outcome. I think a lot of people will be glad that this is successfully documented somewhere now.

88 YJ with a 4.6l stroker, AX-15, NP231, 2.5" lift, 4.10's and 33's
2000 Red XJ w/ 350k+, AW4, NP231, Locked Rear, HD Crown Leafs, trimmed to fit 33's, soon to be a donor
2000 Silver XJ, Drivetrain from the Red XJ, Stiffened, IRO leafs, RE coils, custom 3 link, WJ knuckles, 35's <=== In the works
post #42 of 78 Old 03-23-2016, 10:37 PM
shooptube
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepster1 View Post
Glad to hear that you are happy with the outcome. I think a lot of people will be glad that this is successfully documented somewhere now.
The IRO long arms upgrade is what I plan to do after I get out of boot camp. Stoaked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

Vaginal condoms. I wheel a minivan.
post #43 of 78 Old 03-26-2016, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Thejeepnewbie
1997 XJ Cherokee 

It's easy during this project to get in over your head, it took a little bit of doing and about a full week to get set up completely, also the LCA brackets get in the way at 3" so those have to be cut off or bent out if the way, so more than likely the jeep will never be short armed again if you ever got rid of it or something, I'm waiting to buy a new daily driver then the tires and all are coming in shortly after, I'm just glad I finally got that it is possible out here on the forum!
post #44 of 78 Old 03-26-2016, 12:27 PM
shooptube
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejeepnewbie View Post
It's easy during this project to get in over your head, it took a little bit of doing and about a full week to get set up completely, also the LCA brackets get in the way at 3" so those have to be cut off or bent out if the way, so more than likely the jeep will never be short armed again if you ever got rid of it or something, I'm waiting to buy a new daily driver then the tires and all are coming in shortly after, I'm just glad I finally got that it is possible out here on the forum!
Well I am currently sitting at 4.5 and will probably go a little higher so I may not need to cut the LCA brackets off. Anyways congrats at your success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

Vaginal condoms. I wheel a minivan.
post #45 of 78 Old 03-26-2016, 02:18 PM
S8NNG8
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooptube View Post

Well I am currently sitting at 4.5 and will probably go a little higher so I may not need to cut the LCA brackets off. Anyways congrats at your success.
You may as well cut them off for aesthetic purposes. If you were ever gonna put it back to short arm just buy some HD brackets and be better off.

D3<!L!>3D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.