XJ Heater Core Replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-02-2003, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
tehlers2

XJ Heater Core Replacement

Hello all. I am having a problem with my 1993 XJ where steam is constantly coming out of my windshield defroster ducts which leads me to believe that my heater core is slightly leaking. Has anyone here replaced their own heater core. How difficult is it? Can someone give me a quick write-up on how to do it or give me some tips? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-02-2003, 12:39 PM
ChrisinVA

You say 'steam'. Does it smell very strongly of antifreeze?

I had an Audi with a cracked/leaking heater core, and let me tell you, steaming antifreeze nearly made me throw up. If it doesn't smell like that, then it isn't the heater core.

94 XJ, 4.0/AW4/8.25/242. 145k miles, bought it in march of '02. Rusty's towhook on front, Hidden Hitch out back with shackle. Rebuilt AW4 in January, '03. Kumho MT's on AR767.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-02-2003, 10:09 PM
bassicrob

Check your blower motor. Could be the solution to your "steam"

J_ep '93 XJ Country w/ RE 3.5", OME shocks, 31x10.5 BFG AT/KO's on AR-767s, TW SYE and DS for NP-242 TC, XD9000i, K&N Cone, Flowmaster Delta 40
Proud Survivor of a Rollover!! :) Flip & Roll Club Member #2

Daily Driver: 2006 Volvo S40
PICS
www.photograph-ny.com
post #4 of 4 Old 09-10-2003, 08:26 PM
Jeepxtreme
1998 ZJ 

Exclamation Good luck...

More than likely it is your heater core that is leaking. What happens is when your thermostat opens, it sends the warm water to the heater core and causes a rush of steam. And no offense, but if you aren't even sure that it is the heater core, it's going to be a tough job....I just changed my heater core in my '86 Cherokee this past sunday. What i thought to be a rather minor project took me all day to do. The plastic box that encases the blower motor, the a/c condensor, and the heater core is located under the passenger side of the dash, and I do mean UNDER the dash! It goes from about the ashtray all the way to the passenger side door. There are five bolts that hold this unit in place which are located in the engine compartment on the firewall.(A few of them are in real dandy spots) All of the bolts have to be removed and the entire unit has to be taken out. It is by no means a fun or easy task...If perchance I ever have to change it again, I am selling the damn thing!!! If you do decide to tackle this project and you have any further questions, feel free to give me a yell and I will help out in any way I can.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.