XJ Heater Core Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Heater Core Replacement

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-02-2003, 10:15 AM   #1
tehlers2

XJ Heater Core Replacement

Hello all. I am having a problem with my 1993 XJ where steam is constantly coming out of my windshield defroster ducts which leads me to believe that my heater core is slightly leaking. Has anyone here replaced their own heater core. How difficult is it? Can someone give me a quick write-up on how to do it or give me some tips? Thanks!

tehlers2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2003, 12:39 PM   #2
ChrisinVA

You say 'steam'. Does it smell very strongly of antifreeze?

I had an Audi with a cracked/leaking heater core, and let me tell you, steaming antifreeze nearly made me throw up. If it doesn't smell like that, then it isn't the heater core.
Unread 09-02-2003, 10:09 PM   #3
bassicrob

Check your blower motor. Could be the solution to your "steam"
Proud Survivor of a Rollover!! :) Flip & Roll Club Member #2

[B]Daily Driver:[/B] 2006 Volvo S40
[URL=http://www.longislandjeepers.com/gallery/BassicRobs-93-XJ]PICS[/URL]
[url]www.photograph-ny.com[/url]
bassicrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2003, 08:26 PM   #4
Jeepxtreme
1998 ZJ 

Good luck...

More than likely it is your heater core that is leaking. What happens is when your thermostat opens, it sends the warm water to the heater core and causes a rush of steam. And no offense, but if you aren't even sure that it is the heater core, it's going to be a tough job....I just changed my heater core in my '86 Cherokee this past sunday. What i thought to be a rather minor project took me all day to do. The plastic box that encases the blower motor, the a/c condensor, and the heater core is located under the passenger side of the dash, and I do mean UNDER the dash! It goes from about the ashtray all the way to the passenger side door. There are five bolts that hold this unit in place which are located in the engine compartment on the firewall.(A few of them are in real dandy spots) All of the bolts have to be removed and the entire unit has to be taken out. It is by no means a fun or easy task...If perchance I ever have to change it again, I am selling the damn thing!!! If you do decide to tackle this project and you have any further questions, feel free to give me a yell and I will help out in any way I can.
Jeepxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.