Xj is giving me a run for my money. crank no fire, replaced cps and and other things. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Xj is giving me a run for my money. crank no fire, replaced cps and and other things.

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Barbdaman
1989 XJ Cherokee 

89 Renix XJ, refused to start,replaced numerous parts.

So about a week ago, she ran fine. drove it about 30 or 40 miles and parked her. three hours later i went to start her up, she turns over, I pull the lights. she dies.

From that point on all she did was crank, no fire. Then came back the next day, battery almost dead, weak crank, charged the lady for an hour, just crank, sometimes she would pop or act like she was trying to fire but nothing, until i kept hitting the gas and when she finally did, she stuck at 3 grand. wouldn't drop down, didn't lower the idle, hell sometimes if i gave her gas she would increase the rpms and stick there and to top all the confusion off when she was sticking at 3 grand if I turned on the lights or depressed the brake to engage a gear, she would die immediately. (wtf right?)

Two days prior to the great breakdown I realised the vacum on my regulator was leaking gas and so I decided that this was more than likely a FPR issue. replaced that, same problem, no luck, infact just a crank, not turn over at that point.

So then I start searching the forums, replaced my CPS (what a pain in the ***.) and then replaced my cap and rotor, she has relatively new plugs in her. but she is killing the battery, it is a brand new interstate battery and I took it to get tested yesterday, that was more dead than an american idol contestants career.

So eventhough I believe my alternator is probably going bad, I have a different good battery I throw in her and still the same situation, and I'm aware even if an alternator is bad it won't stop the car from turning over with a fresh battery.

for kicks and gigs, I bought new pos/neg bat cables to have fresh ones. I'm a loss boys. any ideas?

*EDIT* Went and cleaned Idle Air control module, it was covered with a fine layer of oil however, connectors were clean. Going to tamped with my throttle position sensor next. BUT I realized that my intake manifold air temp sensor has snapped at the base, so it's loose, just sitting on the piece of metal that seperates it from the pulley line on the opposite side of the metal, I threw some zip ties on it to kind of make it more stable for the moment. any more ideas? especially since the intake manifold are temp sensor is kinnnndda broken :/

Last edited by Barbdaman; 01-24-2012 at 04:08 PM..
Barbdaman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Barbdaman
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Nope turns out i was cleaning the sensor. not the intake. hmm..I opened up the air intake and cleaned the cylinder that opens and closes for air though. a little oil. but i have not opened up the air control module yet.
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Have you cleaned ALL of your grounds? Bad grounds are EXTREMELY common on renix XJs. Notable ones: Pass side of engine block at the dipstick bolt, rear of head on the driver side, firewall right above the head ground, driver side shock tower (right in front of the bottle), under dash below the headlight switch.

For the hell of it, take a multimeter and test resistance from the TPS (center pin I think) to the ground side of the battery. If it's over .1 ohm it can cause issues.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
Barbdaman
1989 XJ Cherokee 

at this point, it's worth a try. today she wanted to turn over, if she did It inolved me feathering the gas pedal, if I could i could keep her going by tapping the gas but it was a rough and popping situation, sometimes it acted like it wanted to idle for a second before dying.

but yea, at times she would crank and them seem to making a screeching/lock up noise and then go back to cranking again., all the other wires and connection are covered in oil and debree, I switched out all the relays to be safe, and when I took off the throttle sensor and cleaned the oil off, that first crank was a fine start and then died. had quite of bit of white smoke trying to come out when i was giving her tons of gas to keep her alive.

Just not quite sure sire. What role would the ignition could that runs the line to the distributor play in all of this btw?
Unread 01-25-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

The cheapest fix for the most common issue is only "worth a try"? Dude. Get yer scrubbing mitts on and have at it, them come back and tell us what's up. Bring an ohms reading too.

If you have oil everywhere your breathers on top of the valve cover are probably borked too. Make sure the back one flows freely to the intake and the front flows freely to the air box. Bet ya money your airfilter is covered in snotty oil...

Your ignition coil is probably fine if it wants to start even the smallest bit while cold. Feel free to unplug and replug it though to freshen the connections.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 01-25-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
Barbdaman
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Ran out in the rain just now, cleaned all connection on passer side behind battey, begain to take off throttle manifole air intake sesor. my hands slacked of because of the whole rain an freecing wether.

Interstate is going to love me returning a seconeday battey that has gone deal

any ides on how to rekivealternator to be tested. it looks like two screw, not a little of room, but can eone eone. bleh, o mnt issure.
Unread 01-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Barbdaman
1989 XJ Cherokee 

lol I meant to ask how to take off the alternator. i was texting on my phone with swype. just look past the typos.

but yea, yesterday she turned over but to keep her going i had to keep feathering the gas, but then..if i let off. she dies.. :/

I did replace the oil filter, the pressure hose was weak coming from the air intake box. but btw..I think i snapped the cold air intake sensor...how big of a problem could that be. I zip tied her down but...iuunno.
Unread 01-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Alternator is easy. There's a bolt visible from under the jeep, and another one a bit above that. Swapped mine two weeks ago. Upgrade your alternator power cable while you're under there. Stock is incredibly weak.

Quote:
Bleed or Quit.
Unread 01-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #9
Barbdaman
1989 XJ Cherokee 

After talking with a local jeep fanatic. He gave me some good tips. since it cranks and wants to turn over, but it is draining the battery it doesn't necessarily mean it is a faulty alternator. cranking the engine is the most draining part on a battery and if the engine isn't running and doesn't give the alternator time to charge and put volts back into the battery of course it's going to kill the battery.

as far as cranking and me having to pump the gas for it to start to keep it running means that there is probably and issue with the engine not getting the proper amount of fuel. I'm going to buy a fuel pressure tester today and hook it to the fuel rain to see how much pressure the pump is throwing into the rail. when I replaced the o-ring on the quick disconnect on the rear end of the fuel rail the first o-ring wasn't the right size and I've been told gas should spray from that fitting if not sealed right. However, every time I tried to crank the jeep with the wrong size o-ring the gas would merely drip a constant flow to the ground when if properly pressurized by a working fuel pump that gas should spray everywhere, not drip out of the fitting.

Prettymuch I need to find out what the pressure should be when i attach the Fuel pressure gauge to the rail and determine if my fuel pump has gone out or not. if anyone knows please feel free to post, in the meantime im going to get to searching on appropriate pressure on the rail and how to remove a fuel pump on an 89 cherokee 4.0 renix.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.