XJ Diesel 2.5L VM Motor Questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Diesel 2.5L VM Motor Questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 05-07-2008, 06:27 AM   #1
TuboJeep

XJ Diesel 2.5L VM Motor Questions

hey all,

name is Mike, i live in Perth West OZ. Dads got a 99 XJ Cherokee with a 2.5L VM Turbo Diesel motor.

We've had the car for about 4yrs now and its been quiet good contrary to the general concensus of these motors being 'bogus' ie: overheating of Cyl Head no.4 etc. Its been quiet good generally - perhaps its the latest edition of that engine - we don't know.

Whats the general concensus here - from the guys in the US. We'd really appreciate some feedback...

also we've noticed like with any diesel - overtime it gets a bit louder, more knocking is heard etc... Do you guys know any good service procedures? can anyone guide me to a proper factory manual for these motors?

One thing we recently noticed: i moved a wire which seems to be connected to the 1st cylinder injector - and the car became quieter... what is that wire?

Sorry about the spill... hope to get some answers...

many thanks

Mike

TuboJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2008, 07:07 AM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I guess you won't get much answers or opinions from this forum, since Jeep never sold the VM diesel in USA as you propably know.

There are a few guys from UK that have the 2.5 diesel. I myself don't have much to comment on it 'cause I've only tested a few very briefly. It feels pretty good for the XJ, but is has certain drawbacks like you wrote.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2008, 07:13 AM   #3
Parky

I had the 2.8 in my Liberty, before I sold it. The engine itself was great, it was everything the bolted onto it that stunk. EGR valves, torque converters, the oil blow-by because of the egr caused premature failure in the turbo. And the final draw was an air leak in the fuel system that the dealer could never find that made the Jeep lurch at city speeds.
Colorado Jeep Member #12

Happy Jeeper
Parky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
MuckShifter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hi Mike,
If you're Dad's VM has been running trouble free for 4+yrs he's got a good one! What mileage by the way? Don't mess with no1 injector needle valve sensor wire & don't get it wet, ie: dont't pressure wash the engine (as I did) That sensor instructs the 'fly by wire' throttle system, mess with that and you'll get reduced power! (runs in limp mode)

A new one will cost you up to £200 - I was quoted over £300+ by my local bosch centre to replace the troublesum no1 injector

Mines a 98 & apart from a new clutch has been trouble free, 125,000miles & still going strong, touch wood..lol

Regards,
Doug
MuckShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
TuboJeep

hey all,

thanks for the comments.

Doug - thanks for the heads up on the needle valve sensor. Is it possible tho that the contacts are a bit loose on it? why would it stop making ticking noises when touched?

Dads XJ has done 240000kms (150000miles). So its doing quiet well i suppose. Its getting regular oil changes, we've just ordered a fuel filter from the US (waiting).

I'll take some pics and post them up.
Unread 05-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
MuckShifter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Can't really answer why the sensor wire should stop 'ticking' when moved - only thought is, if the insulation on the wire had rubbed through & was arcing out to earth/ground. Would have imagined if that was the case you'd have performence problems?

Is it cheaper to source parts like fuel filters, etc. In the States?
MuckShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2008, 04:35 AM   #7
TuboJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckShifter View Post
Can't really answer why the sensor wire should stop 'ticking' when moved - only thought is, if the insulation on the wire had rubbed through & was arcing out to earth/ground. Would have imagined if that was the case you'd have performence problems?

Is it cheaper to source parts like fuel filters, etc. In the States?
for us - some parts definatelly. If you pay $100-$200 from the states you're paying close to $300-$400 locally from the Jeep Dealer. Not everything but some bits.

Clockspring 'landed' cost us about $200 landed - here it was going between $350 and about $450 from different dealers.
Unread 10-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
RockyOne
2000 TJ Wrangler 

VM engine suggestions

Mike..I love driving with that engine. Amazing offroad. Remember we are pulling about a tonne less than 'cruisers,Patrols etc. Suggest you put a bottle of Wynns injection cleaner through it then give it a good run. Replace with a new one,the EGR valve as it can demolish a perfectly good engine..Apparently some guys just remove it and blank it off. I'm not game to try that one. Check all the water hoses..Bleed hose off the fuel filter/hand pump assy can require replacing if it gets hard to start. Mine only cost $22. Keep really good oil in rear diff a bearings run on actual axle (bad design) and any wear, you need an axle as well as the bearing.(I got my axle for half what they quoted,on the www) Shame they still don't make the XJ,as I'd have one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuboJeep View Post
hey all,

name is Mike, i live in Perth West OZ. Dads got a 99 XJ Cherokee with a 2.5L VM Turbo Diesel motor.

We've had the car for about 4yrs now and its been quiet good contrary to the general concensus of these motors being 'bogus' ie: overheating of Cyl Head no.4 etc. Its been quiet good generally - perhaps its the latest edition of that engine - we don't know.

Whats the general concensus here - from the guys in the US. We'd really appreciate some feedback...

also we've noticed like with any diesel - overtime it gets a bit louder, more knocking is heard etc... Do you guys know any good service procedures? can anyone guide me to a proper factory manual for these motors?

One thing we recently noticed: i moved a wire which seems to be connected to the 1st cylinder injector - and the car became quieter... what is that wire?

Sorry about the spill... hope to get some answers...

many thanks

Mike
RockyOne is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.