XJ Clutch fan replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Clutch fan replacement

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 02-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
Bmjames24
1996 XJ Cherokee 

XJ Clutch fan replacement

Okay so I've been doing a bit of driving in the jeep lately, I have an exhaust on my jeep, and it has come to my attention that I seriously hate the sound of the clutch fan being so loud that I can barely hear my exhaust. What I have set in mind is getting the electric fan/radiator combo. I have little to no knowledge on how much it takes to cool the jeep. I do know that the I6 4.0l HO likes to run hot (200). I absolutely hate the sound of the clutch fan. Please help me out guys give me some awesome knowledge!

Bmjames24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 08:38 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

The e-fan swap is going to be noisier than a mechanical fan...all that on, off, on ,off. Then there's the CFM question. Is it enough, is the hype about plenty of air flow true...or?

So, you'd rather listen to your exhaust than a fan?? I have a ZJ HD fan on my XJ and my MJ and there are so many OTHER noises I don't even notice it. As far as airflow...it's a frikken hurricane under my hood. I've heard that the fan is noisy on some XJ's but...really?? I know I have exhaust...but I don't want to hear it...or ABOUT it.
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
Bmjames24
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I am a man of exhaust notes, what can i say. haha I just seriously hate the drowning noise from the clutch fan when it over powers the sound of my exhaust. I've had friends say that when i accelerate all they can hear is the clutch fan have a pretty loud exhaust. IDK maybe its just me being a young man but I seriously like my exhaust note.
Unread 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
lazyxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmjames24 View Post
I absolutely hate the sound of the clutch fan. Please help me out guys give me some awesome knowledge!
You are not by any chance running a ZJ clutch?
Tried that and the constant noise drove me to remove it after only a couple of months, plus I saw a drop in freeway mileage.
The new XJ clutch, in comparison, only engages on hot summers day or on long climbs, the times you would expect it to.
You just might new a new clutch.
It's tough to beat the Factory cooling when it is operating correctly.
2001 Sport, 4" lift, 33 X 10.50 KOs, R.E. DB, R.E.-UCA, JKS-LCA, ACOS, 8.25-4.56-TruTrac, SYE, D-30 E-locker w/alloy shafts, Hidden M8000 winch, Vanco front and ZJ rear disc brakes, Lots of armor, Towing baseplate. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/c...7603770130683/
lazyxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
The new XJ clutch, in comparison, only engages on hot summers day
The fan clutch doesn't just suddenly "kick on". It operates on a percentage basis with RPM' s. It's always turning, just at a different rate.
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #7
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If it's a stock XJ fan clutch in good condition and coolant temps are ok, constant fan roar ain't normal.
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Mine never "roars", but, it's always turning. It's just turning faster when the engine is warmer. When it's up to temp it puts out more CFM than when cold. It puts out a @#&% load of air when hot, as I believe it's supposed to do.

It certainly doesn't drown out the sound of all the other noises going on. Maybe I need a glaspak or a cherry bomb. The chicks would love that. I may even get lucky.
Unread 02-19-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
Bmjames24
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Right well I've done a bit of looking around and did a test to see if the clutch is bad on it. And in fact it is. I can easily spin it with my hand and it will turn not for long but say about 1/8 of a turn after a easy push. So now my question is should I go out and get a new clutch paired with new fan blades or should the fan blades not be an issue because they do not have such a great effect as the clutch itself. I've had a buddy in his Durango slap a new clutch on his and you can't even tell its there. (His sounded like a jet going down the road. You could easily hear it over his true dual exhaust)
Unread 02-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #10
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyxj View Post
You are not by any chance running a ZJ clutch?
Tried that and the constant noise drove me to remove it after only a couple of months, plus I saw a drop in freeway mileage.
The new XJ clutch, in comparison, only engages on hot summers day or on long climbs, the times you would expect it to.
You just might new a new clutch.
It's tough to beat the Factory cooling when it is operating correctly.
This. My fan only roars for a few seconds after just starting the jeep on a 100* day. Otherwise I don't notice it is there. I think a new clutch will solve your problem, you do not need new fan blades unless they are damaged.

BE AWARE:

The Autozone computer system is wrong. Any Cherokee after 1992 has the larger, louder ZJ clutch listed as the correct part. If you buy it from Autozone tell them you need one for a 1992 4.0L Cherokee in order to get the correct part. I told them they have the wrong one listed for 1993-2001 XJs but they didn't seem to care.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

What's wrong with the ZJ fan clutch? I can sit in a traffic jam on a 100* day with the A/C on full blast and not go above 210. Or, I can go wheeling on that same 100* day with the A/C on and not overheat.

Plus, the fan gives it character!
Unread 02-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #12
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
The fan clutch doesn't just suddenly "kick on". It operates on a percentage basis with RPM' s. It's always turning, just at a different rate.

Actually, it does pretty much "kick on" if its working right and is the correct, original equipment type XJ fan clutch. When it senses that the air temp is hot enough, it will gradually increase its coupling over a period of 5-10 seconds so that you DO, in effect, hear the fan "come on" as it starts to spin much faster as the clutch slips less. That's how it SHOULD work. Cheap aftermarket fan clutches without a thermal sensor work the way you describe. Just slipping about the same all the time, and varying with engine speed.

If you're hearing the fan ALL the time and its that loud, then I suspect someone swapped on one of the cheap parts-store "non-thermal" type clutches. They are ridiculously loud, and also make fuel economy much worse. I would not go all-electric. The beauty of the XJ cooling system, to me, is that it has both belt-driven and electric fans. Best of both worlds.
2001 Cherokee Sport automatic 4x2 (sold)
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
clutch fan , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.