XJ broken piston skirt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ broken piston skirt

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 04-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
jreitz1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

XJ broken piston skirt

The tapered part of my piston skirt broke off of the #6 piston on my 2000 xj. The skirt is in about 5 or 6 chunks from getting caught up in the crank counterweight (judging by the nicks). Im not sure how many tiny pieces there are.

The jeep has just over 100,000 miles on it. After the skirt broke, I drove it for about 15-20 miles (both highway and city) and parked it. As far as i can tell, it didn't do any damage to the cylinder walls. My oil temp and pressure was still within limits. And it didnt seem to have any power loss.

My Question is- Do i have any options besides a entire rebuild?

jreitz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Assuming you've never had the head replaced, if you're going to have the head and block ripped apart to remove any metal pices you might as well replace the head before it does grenade (known 0331 head casting issue) and get yourself a new valvetrain up top with a better head for strength and reliability.

After that you have choices - if you know that you've damaged the crank you probably have scored some of the bearings with metal pieces. It may be fine with out doing a bearing job too, but who knows?

You could probably get a JY engine for 500 bucks and just swap the whole powerplant, but then you need to deal with coil pack conversion to distributor or finding a 02-04 TJ motor which will get you the better head and coil pack ingnition. Newer motor bigger price.

Good luck, but you're probably into $500+ in repairs and some time with wrenches.
Unread 05-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'd take a look at the bearings and if they are good then hone out the cylinder bore and throw in a new piston and rod. If it doesn't knock afterward or have low oil pressure then you should be fine. Run an engine cleaner, like Seafoam, Marvel Mystery Oil, or others, and use a quality filter such as Mobil 1 or Purolator PureOne. These are high efficiency and filter down to the smallest microns compared to other filters. Do a couple short oil change intervals to be sure.

How was this engine cared for? Overheated previously?

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #4
jreitz1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

the engine has never overheated since ive had it. it has al ways had a cold knock. im assuming it was piston slap, and i think thats what broke the skirt
jreitz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Flyordie
1985 XJ Cherokee 

If you don't want to spend bookoo money...

1. Drop the pan, pull the piston and rod and replace the piston and re-install
2. Get a magnetic oil pan plug (not a cheap one, get a strong *** magnet)
3. Run it for 100-200 miles or less w/e you prefer, pull the plug and check for metal particulates/shards ect... and replace oil filter and put in new oil.

Thats my best advice if you are on a limited budget.
Flyordie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine noise , knocking , piston skirt , rebuilding , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.