You have a short circuit somewhere. The blown fuses and the sounds from the hatch are your proof. You will have to use a volts/ohms multimeter to check the wires or physically inspect the wires for chafed/burnt insulation, pinched/cut wires, or any other faults that would cause a short circuit.
If you have a trailer light adapter, removing that would be my first step.
Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......
Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.