XJ Bolt on Tube Fenders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Bolt on Tube Fenders

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 06-29-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

XJ Bolt on Tube Fenders

On April 27th I originally posted on another website my intentions to start a build project that I have been thinking about doing for a year:

Well I decided to pull the trigger on soon XJ tube fenders. I am gathering all the material I will need to complete my project. The rears will incorporate quarter guards with built in taillight boxes and the flares. The fronts will be built around a front fender guard that will include a fender flare to it. I was going to start the build this weekend, but some of the parts I needed to start were damaged in shipping and I am working on getting a replacement. I have wanted to do this project for a year but had other projects to finish first. I got a lot of inspiration from Brandons flares which pushed this project towards the top of my list. It was nice to see something simular to what I wanted to build and see it hold up to some actual use in Moab. I will keep you all posted.

By May 8th I had received all the materials I was waiting for and started my build:

Well here is an update on where the Jeep sits. I have installed and modified the rear quarter guards. I had to fabricate and add the front portion (dog leg) to both sides. I did this so it will be a true bolt on quarter guard with tube fenders. If you also notice the taillight boxes are part of the quarter guard also.

On the front fenders I have got the fender guards installed and started to trim the frenders to match.

Here are some pics:

Cruzin Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

The rear quarter guards are made by THOR4x4 and I am adding onto them with the permission of the owner, which I have talked to quit afew times. He built a set of tube fenders for the rear of his and sent me pictures of what he did so I could get some ideas. Sometimes it is just easier to start with someone elses part and work from there rather than reinventing the wheel.

The fronts came from Slickrock gear but I have had to modify them because they did not fit very well. If I could do it over again I would have made my own fronts. I had to go back and form the fronts to match the curve of the fender because of the fit. It will take a little work to get the finish right on these.

On May 13th I posted up some updated pictures of the build:

Here are some updated pictures:

Unread 06-29-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I bent the tubes out of 1.5" x .120 D.O.M. It was tough to get the two bend on the rear portion of the rear fenders right along with the front two bends on the front fenders. Notice there is no kinkin of the tube in those area's.

Unread 06-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

On may 18th I posted:

have the templates built for the metal skins and am in the process of making the skins. I do have the left side tacked up. Here are some updated pictures. Terry they should be ready to start paint prep soon. Let me know when you have time.

Unread 06-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I tacked welded the inner seem from the bottom. I figure I will just keep rotating around the vehicle to allow for cooling so as to not build up to much heat and warp the sheet metal. I figure we could run a very very small amount of filler to give it a very small transition. They fit very tight against the 3/16" body panel. I also figured it would be easy to grind the welds down on the outer sides and it should give it a nice transition into the tube.

Here are a few outside in the sun.

Unread 06-29-2007, 08:27 PM   #6
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I am in the process of finish welding them up and grinding them so there are no seems. My goal is to have no welds showing. They will be very clean looking and not rough.

Not to bad for welding these up side down in the wheel well:

Then they will be preped for paint and the paint scheme will match what I had previous. Orange on the body and Silver on the flares and below the lower body line.

View the Cruzin Illusion Rig here:
View Cruzin Illusion's Rig
(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:
XJ Bolt on Tube Fenders / XJ-8 Grille (Round Headlight Grille) / THOR 4x4 Quarter Guard Install / XJ Custom Bumper with Swing Down TIre Carrier / Custom Width HP44 Build and Tech /Cruzin Illusions XJ Roll Cage Pics / Cruzin Illusion Tube Door Build

Last edited by Cruzin Illusion; 07-09-2007 at 11:24 AM..
Unread 06-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

At this time they are at a friends (87xjco) body shop being final preped for paint. I am hoping by sometime mid next week we can have them ready to shoot. I will keep everyone posted on the progress through this thread. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Here a few of them being preped for paint:

Here is picture of smoothing out the seam with All Metal:

We used seam filler on the lower side to keep water from catching in the radius portion between the tube and the sheetmetal fender portion. I have heard a lot of TJ guys end up with rust in those areas and I Terry is trying to prevent that.

Unread 06-29-2007, 08:29 PM   #8
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

It has been a while but I thought I would share a few updated pictures. Here are some pictures of them in primer and with the silver paint on them. The orange and clear are being painted today. I am hoping that I will install them Monday or Tuesday. I want to thank Terry 87xjco and Jamie for the help on getting these preped and painted.

Unread 06-29-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

The paint is done and they came out awesome:

Thanks to Terry 87xjco and Jamie for the help on getting them finished up. Terry is a bodyshop manager and does awesome work.

Unread 06-29-2007, 08:31 PM   #10
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Here is the finished product:

Unread 06-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #11
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Unread 06-29-2007, 08:54 PM   #12
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Wow, that looks great. I wish I could fab like that.
Unread 06-29-2007, 09:18 PM   #13
Tom G
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks awesome!
-92' YJ 4.0L, SOA w/ 1.5" RE springs, 35"x12.50" X-Terrains, 8.8 w/ Detroit, D30 open, 4.88's, JB4X4 steering, AA SYE, Tom Woods rear driveshaft, Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers, TJ flares, Banks header, Wrangler dual battery system, Tuffy center console and glove box, Warn front bumper, Crypto-Crawler rear bumper, Herculined.
[url]www.cryptocrawlers.blogspot.com[/url]
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2007, 09:22 PM   #14
Stengah
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Those look really, really good. Might want to think about selling some on Ebay, I'm sure you'd sell quite a few of them. I hope you don't mind me asking, but do you fab for a living? Again, awesome job man.
Unread 06-29-2007, 09:28 PM   #15
Mage
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wah wah... Wow Dude!! thatz Incredible! It turn'd out... ShAh WeeT!
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.