XJ Blower Motor Resistor? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > XJ Blower Motor Resistor?

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #1
imtommorello

XJ Blower Motor Resistor?

i need a new blower motor resistor. i called the stealership just to see ho wmuch they have it for. they hold the resistors ransom for about 42 bucks.

does anyone know of another place that may have them for cheaper, or have them at all?

i think ive heard Napa, but the dude that works there told me he only has the entire motor.

i want to use my ac again...=(

imtommorello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #2
russkrs

if it is the resistor then your blower should still blow on high...
Unread 05-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've wondered if this is going out on my Jeep as well. Sometimes when I'm driving the blower will cut out for a few seconds or if I flip the AC on high it cuts out until I drop it to the slowest setting or turn it off then back on. It doesn't do it that often, but thought it may be the culprit and may need replacing if it happens more often. I had a '91 Dakota that when I purchased it, the blower didn't work at all. Did some research and found out the resister board are common to go out on the Dakota, but I didn't know if the Cherokees have this as a problem as well.
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 05:40 AM   #4
imtommorello

yeah exactly. my blower only blows on the HIGH setting. i've come to understand that this means the blower's resistor has blown out. does anyone know of some place that sells them for cheaper than the stealership?
imtommorello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2006, 06:13 AM   #5
russkrs

Ok... just making sure because you said "I want to use my AC again"... leading me to believe you can't use it... as in you have nothing from the blower.

Here is a tech link.... found in the stickies for you...
http://www.geocities.com/chmwatson/F...elink_fix.html

I am not 100% on if it will work for all years... but if not, $42 isn't that bad. Or be like me who has his blower hardwired to a switch, so I only have high and low as well.
Unread 05-12-2006, 07:49 AM   #6
JayIV
2004 WJ 

Well, if your blower motor resistor went out, there is a 90 percent chance that you will need to replace your blower motor as well because it is drawing to much power.

There are two ways a resistor can go out. The motor draws to much power and shorts one of the three coils on the resistor, often leaving you with only high because it completely bypasses the resistor. The other way is if the thermal fuse goes out. They can go out just because of age, wear etc. If its the resistor, its easy to replace. Check the link posted above for more info on that.

When I replaced mine, I couldn't find another place that sold the resistors, only the dealership. Also, rather than blowing another 40 dollar part, u should think about replacing the blower motor at the same time.

JC
Unread 05-25-2006, 10:16 AM   #7
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Update!!

Well, I flipped on the AC yesterday, the blower went for about 2 seconds then no more. Couldn't get it running the rest of the way home so tore into it and removed the risister. It was rusty looking so went to the dealership, was $30 dollars and some change after tax. Initially when I plugged it in nothing happened so I took it back (I told them I wanted to just try it and they were ok with that). I put the old one back in and after driving around some more, it suddenly stared blowing on 4 (hi) but no other speeds, a total sign the resister has bit the dust!! Even pulled the old one off and still had hi. The guy at the dealer said (as bigsurf75 said) it bypasses the resister when it konks out, so I put the new one in, put the 2 screws in, snugged it down and it works great. I'll put the rest together this evening but hopefully this will be a complete fix and no future wiring issues or blower problems (at least for another 6 years).

FYI the blower motor at the dealership is $210 and the parts guy said they have sold 3 to date?

Last edited by mhall02; 05-25-2006 at 11:03 AM..
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.