xj 87 rear lights replacement?!!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > xj 87 rear lights replacement?!!?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
elkas
1987 XJ Cherokee 

xj 87 rear lights replacement?!!?

hey guys,
i have an 87 xj. the light sockets for my tail lights have corroded real bad over time. i find it real hard to find replacement parts for these years online and have called the dealership and they don't carry those parts.
do you think you can point me to finding a replacement.. (even an LED conversion or anything, i'm starting to get pretty desperate).
those sockets look pretty common among early american cars.
do you maybe know any similar makes and models that would fit on....
thx!!

elkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

The light sockets used in that year model are Ford. With that being said, later model Jeep sockets will fit the tail lights; don't know about the front lights. I've currently got one '87 tail light assembly in the back of my '94, with the stock '94 sockets in it. The only modification I had to make was to "notch" the lower mounting hole, because they used a bolt that had to be completely removed to remove the light assembly in '87, while the newer ones have a fixed stud that the lower mounting tab just sits over. Hope this helps!

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
KF4SQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
elkas
1987 XJ Cherokee 

thx a lot man.
that's exactly what i wanted to find out.

Ford Lincoln Mercury Stop Tail & Turn Light Socket 8553
(three wire )
Ford Lincoln Mercury Stop Tail & Turn Light Socket 8551
(is the two wire)
if anyone is ever looking.

thx KF4SQB
Unread 09-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #4
elkas
1987 XJ Cherokee 

thx a lot dude!!!!!!! saved my ***!!!!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.