**Writeup** Installing Cruise Control In Your 97+ XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > **Writeup** Installing Cruise Control In Your 97+ XJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 11-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

**Writeup** Installing Cruise Control In Your 97+ XJ

This Writeup will try to explain how to install the cruise control setup in XJs not already equipped with cruise control.

The same steps can be used for removing the cruise control setup from the donor XJ.

Tools Needed
  • 5/16" Deep Socket
  • Torx Bits
  • Steering Wheel Puller

Parts Needed from a donor XJ
  • Vaccum Actuator (located on passenger side fender behing battery)
  • Cable Setup that runs from the actuator to the TB
  • Clock Spring from an XJ with the switches (airbag can not be deployed from donor)
  • Both Switches from steering wheel

DISCONNECT THE GROUND WIRE AND HOT WIRE FROM THE BATTERY FOR AT LEAST 30 MINS BEFORE BEGINNING WORK

1) Remove the above parts from the donor XJ
**Switches vary from 97-98 and 99-01**
2) Attach the actuator to the passenger side of the engine compartment. The actuator attaches with three 5/16" bolts. The holes are already in the side of the fender. (Jeep was nice enough to do that for us.)

3) Run the actuator cable around the back side of the cooling bottle. The cable is secured using one of the coolant bottle support bolts

4) Squeeze the plastic mount through the center hole of the cable mounting bracket (noted byORANGE BOX). The cable will mount on the knob on the throttle body bracket between the throttle cable and the other cable closest to the throttle body (noted by the RED BOX.

5) Move into the cabin of the jeep. Remove the Airbag by removing the two 5/16" bolts from the backside of the steering wheel.

6) Using your torx screwdriver remove the two torx head screws from the back side of the "blank" switches (where your new switches will mount)

7) Remove the airbag pack and the "blank" switches. Unplug the wiring going to the air bag.

8) Using the steering wheel puller (which you can rent from any auto parts place) follow the instructions for the puller. Screw the supplied bolts into the two holes on the steering wheel. using the correct sized socket, tighten the shaft until the steering wheel pops off the shaft. The steering wheel should only mounton the shaft one way.

here is how the steering wheel puller should mount.

here is what it will look like without a steering wheel

9) With the steering wheel removed remove the plastic cover along the bottom of the ignition so you can get to the wiring of the clock spring. Unplug all wiring going to the clock spring.

10) Pull out the stock clockspring and replace it with the new clockspring with the wiring for the switches.

Make sure you put the new clockspring in the same way the old one came out.

11) Remount the steering wheel and slide the wiring through the steering wheel. To remount the wheel just slide it over the shaft and tighten down the wheel as tight as you can.

Make sure you put the plastic shield in behind the steering wheel (between the wheel and the clockspring, otherwise you will have to take the wheel back off to put this cover on, ask me how i know lol

12) Attach the wiring to each switch, the longer wires go to the left side of the wheel (the switch that says ON-OFF and Set) the shorter of the wires go to the right.

13) Using the torx screw from before attach the switches to each side.

Your steering wheel should look like this at this point

14) Reattach the airbag pack to the center of the wheel the exact same way it came out. Reuse the same 5/16" bolts. When you are done you should have a wheel that looks like this

You should be all set. reattach the battery cables start the jeep from the passenger side to ensure the airbag doesnt accidentaly deploy for any freak reason. Hit the on button on the switch and a green "Cruise" should light up at the top left of the dash.

Hope this helps someone out at some point

-Brendan

post up any questions you may have and i will do my best to answer them

4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
justanotherjpr
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Great write up. Glad to see it's a lot easier than I thought!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
JayBanion
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You dont have to hook anything up in the engine compartment besides the cable from the vacumn canister? No vacumn lines any of that?
Unread 11-20-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
basso4735
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I want this so bad. Good writeup....its gonna be hard for me to find the airbag though.

Red 97 XJ Sport 5 Speed - Lifted 3" - Sound system - C4X4 Tow Hooks - Hella 500s
Black 96 XJ Classic - Stocker on 31s - SOLD
basso4735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

the airbag is the same, its the clock spring you will need to find

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
Unread 11-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #6
Sc00ter
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well done! I am in the process of doing the same thing. Had everything installed and voila- nothing. After several trips to the JY and replacing everything several times, I stumbled on an article stating that the steering wheel buttons are different between the years. I have a 00XJ but have two sets of 97 buttons. I also have a pile of clocksprings along with a second actuator. All of which I will not need after I can find a 00 set of buttons and make my system work. Will put the parts up here for sale as soon as I get it working.

When removing the clock spring I also found it helpful to remove the top plastic half of the steering column. The clock spring has two clips that hold it in place (one on the top and one on the bottom). The top one breaks off easily unless it is carefully unhooked from the top. Don't ask how I know. The clip is accessible with a small screwdriver.
Sc00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
alexrule123
What's a c-clip?

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc00ter View Post
When removing the clock spring I also found it helpful to remove the top plastic half of the steering column. The clock spring has two clips that hold it in place (one on the top and one on the bottom). The top one breaks off easily unless it is carefully unhooked from the top. Don't ask how I know. The clip is accessible with a small screwdriver.
I ordered a new clockspring a few years ago and even that one had a broken clip on it from when it broke off during shipping. Those clips are really weak but you can still install it with a broken clip.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 07:21 PM   #8
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc00ter View Post
Well done! I am in the process of doing the same thing. Had everything installed and voila- nothing. After several trips to the JY and replacing everything several times, I stumbled on an article stating that the steering wheel buttons are different between the years. I have a 00XJ but have two sets of 97 buttons. I also have a pile of clocksprings along with a second actuator. All of which I will not need after I can find a 00 set of buttons and make my system work. Will put the parts up here for sale as soon as I get it working.

I had the same problem. The switches in those pictures are the ones from 97-98. Today i replaced them with the newer model switches and it works like a charm.

I have a buddy on NAXJA who is going to be looking for a clock sprint, actuator, and cable. PM me a price and ill send the info his way

Unread 11-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #9
Sc00ter
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
I ordered a new clockspring a few years ago and even that one had a broken clip on it from when it broke off during shipping. Those clips are really weak but you can still install it with a broken clip.
I was hoping that was the case. Out of the ones that I have removed (some several times) two broke the top clip.
Unread 11-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #10
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

hey scooter, your PMs are full. i was gonna PM you the guys email address

Unread 11-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
Sc00ter
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Holy crap that sounds like a personal problem!

will take care of it!
Unread 11-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #12
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Brendan, U da man!

I will be doing this and will start looking for a 99-01 donor vehicle right now. Great heads up on the difference between 97-98 and the 99-01 models. Glad you got all the kinks ironed out and came back to share the experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
tdavidk76
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I bought a kit off of ebay for my '01. It works but when climbing hills it will not kick down to the passing gear. If i push on the accelerator it will kick down and if I remove my foot from the accelerator the cruise will hold the cruise just will not make it hold speed while climbing. Anyone one know how to fix this?
Unread 11-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
skyway0018746
2000 XJ Cherokee 

yeah cant help ya but i know its a pain on the hills . its more set up for flat driving.
btw what the difference on the two switches 97-98 and 99-01
Unread 11-21-2009, 05:47 PM   #15
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

absolutely nothing physically. the internals must be different, in those pictures i have the 97-98 switches installed and it didnt work. a NAXJA member mailed me 99-01 switches i plugged them in and viola it worked

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.