*Writeup*-Installing C-Rok Inner Steering Support Brace - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > *Writeup*-Installing C-Rok Inner Steering Support Brace

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 01-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

*Writeup*-Installing C-Rok Inner Steering Support Brace

Total Time For Install - 1 hour 30 minutes approx.

Installed on - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport

Tools Used - 16mm socket and ratchet, 22mm socket

Materials Needed - C-Rok support brace, 3 steering box bolts, 1 - 9/16" Grade 8 nylock nut and bolt, 3 - 5/8" dia. spacers

Notes: I did not take the tire off to do this project. With my tirmmed fenders and lift, it was no problem to get to the bolts.

Here is what the kit came with, (minus the bolts, so just the spacer and the metal cylindrical spacers, not pictured)

1) Here is what I started with:

Remove the three steering box bolts. CAREFULLY, otherwise they will snap and it will make this project much longer. Ask me how i know!

2) Once bolts are taken off, pop off the spacer that sits between the unibody and steering box

Here is the differnce, the C-Rok is just pure beef compared to stock

3)
Once all three bolts are in order to get the spacers in, you must drill out the three holes. I used about a 1/2" bit to ream out the bumper bracket and steering box bolts just enough to tap the spacers in with a mallet or hammer.

4) Slide the steering box bolts back through the sleeves and mount the spacer on the inside of the "frame". Put the 9/16" bolt through as well.

5) Tighten the steering box bolts first, going around a couple times to insure they are tight. APPLY lock-tight to all the steering box bolts

6) Finally tighten the 9/16" bolt completely.

7) You are done! GO back and tighten the bolts daily for the first week to make sure they are completly tight.

Overall the process isnt too bad at all. The steering feels much more complete and solid. Especially with AJs bumper mounts on the outside.

4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Nice write up, but does the brace mount on the inside?

Not bad!
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

it mounts on the inner part of the frame rail. in between the steering box and the unibody, in place of that silver spacer pictured above
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
praetorian
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice writeup! Does anyone know what the three steering box bolts are supposed to be torqued to per factory specs?
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Are the steering box bolts supposed to be torqued to factory specs?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.