Write Up: Replace the Turn Signal Switch on 97+ XJ - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Write Up: Replace the Turn Signal Switch on 97+ XJ

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #46
sbxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

different setup entirely up to '96

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
WJ HID Retrofit Pics
sbxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2012, 11:00 AM   #47
berger150
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Before you do anything be sure to check each bulb & the connection.
I nearly replaced my turn signal switch. But luckily my left front parking light went out. I went to replace it & found it wasn't put in correctly by the previous owner & once I replaced the bulb & put it in correctly. The alarm & signal staying on ..stopped. Have not had a problem since & that was over a year ago.
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #48
OnTheFence

Last 3 photos totally lost me.
I had no idea what he was even talking about.
No clue what I am even looking at.

Well, at least I know how to remove the cover. Ha
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #49
OnTheFence

Why do other threads say you need to pull the steering wheel?
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/turn...removal-94548/
Unread 12-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #50
stretch2187
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFence View Post
Why do other threads say you need to pull the steering wheel?
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/turn...removal-94548/
Looks like they're talking about pre-1996 models. I changed the turn signal switch on my 1999 XJ in 15 minutes following the instructions on this thread. (No pulling the steering wheel was required.)
stretch2187 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #51
SKINUM
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Easy swap on my 05LJ. The only part that confused me for a second was that I needed to remove my wiper switch & place it in the new unit. I assumed both the signal & wiper switch would come in one unit.

I guess it would've helped if I had noticed there was only one lever on the unit when it was delivered. :>)
SKINUM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 07:49 PM   #52
DrewzillaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I just did this. Excellent write-up!
DrewzillaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #53
blablathingy
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This is awesome!

Thank you for this - it's exactly what I need to do on my jeep. Will be my first car repair ever. But your tutorial looks great - think I can do it.
blablathingy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #54
OnTheFence

I just ordered one for $30 off Ebay.
Unread 05-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #55
Gelertazreal

My stalk broke of yesterday..half way home...so right now no turning lights or wipers.

Would this be tge same kind of deal with the 91XJ ?
Gelertazreal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #56
bobbo_xj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

There are definately subpar multifunction switches out there. I replaced ones from an 01 xj and a chysler T&C within 18 months. Found luck buying from NAPA. I believe they still sell a good one under the echlin name.
Unread 06-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #57
MDchanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdsport View Post
I am a "take apart" person and have developed a method to completely disassemble these switches and recondition them. I love to do detailede work and these were a challenge to me a couple of years ago. There are a lot of internal parts and the reassembly is a little tricky, but if you are careful, it can be done.
My time is abour 1 1/2 hours to do one of these.

I am currently doing this for a local shop with 100% success.

If anyone would like a rebuild, please let me know.

Also, I would consider buying your old one to keep in stock.

Instead of throwing your old one away, I could get you $10 plus shipping for your old one....help defray the cost of a new one.
These will easily fit into a USPS Priority Mail soft envelope...$4.95 anywhere.

Email me at: pjb7@live.com for info.

Thanks,
Paul
Thank you, Paul, for letting me know that it is possible to "rebuild" (actually just clean up) these switches. If I hadn't known that "someone" had gotten one back together, just one time, I would have given up and bought a new one.

In my case, my "new" 2000 Cherokee showed three symptoms:
  • Right turn signal was sluggish - would "fast flash" a few times before settling in to a normal flash rate,
  • 4-Way flashers would flash only the Left signal indicator (turning the directional switch to signal right would make both flash), and
  • 4-Way flashers would only flash the Left outside signals (turning the directional switch to signal right would add the Right Rear to the Left signals, but the Right Front would never come on).

I removed the old switch (quite easy, really, but, oh boy, all the dirt and dog hair that were jammed into that rubber gaiter...), took it inside, and took it apart.
Like everything, taking it apart was very easy. It would be a bit harder to figure out where all those little parts that flew out were supposed to go.

Inside, the majority of the contacts were green with corrosion.
I cleaned all the old (and green) grease off of them with some lacquer thinner, then gave them a good scrub with a Dremel with a tiny wire brush attachment 'till they shined, then cleaned the grease I'd dredged up off of them again with more lacquer thinner. When I was done, all was shiny.
I coated it with a nice, slippery grease (I like heavy-duty clear red grease-gun grease because a thin film is very slippery, and I avoid dielectric grease because it insulates, and I'd rather not introduce an additional potential bit of resistance to the circuit).

Now began the conundrum of how to reassemble.

It seemed obvious at first (doesn't it always?), but the first three times I put it together, I got it wrong.
I finally figured out the trick, and got it on time #5.

I did not take pictures, but the trick is to assemble everything into the black half (the half with the plug receptacle - the side that faces toward the front of the car), except for the signal lever. This includes
  • the 4-way slider (which has the 4-way tab on top),
  • the directional signal slider (which interlocks with it, just below it), and
  • the little contact slider for the high beams, which would seem to need to hang on the end of the signal lever, but does not.
The little high beam slider should be set as high in its groove as it can be, so you can grab it with the end of the signal light lever when you mate the two switch halves.
The directional and 4-way sliders should be set toward the right of their travel.

Assemble the signal lever to the white side:
  • The large, heavy spring fits into the curved groove in the surface of the lever base that faces the white plastic case half (faces the driver when seated in the car) and acts to return the signal light lever to center after you signal right or left.
  • The long, thin spring goes on the two posts with tabs on their tops (which hold the spring in place), and goes through the space in the signal lever base that lies between the two posts.
Get the lever assembled to the white half and the other parts assembled to the black half, then slowly introduce the two halves.

The offset pin on the lever has to go into the groove in the signal light slider (which was white on my switch), then you have to come in a bit sideways to grab the slot of the highbeam slider with the tab at the end of the signal light lever. Once you grab it, you can press the switch halves straight together, giving the signal light detent finger a bit of a nudge with the end of a screwdriver, to get it to snap into its spot, and then install the four screws.

Getting this switch together is about as complicated as it sounds, though doing it wrong four times in a row can really help you to get it right.
I figure if you read this first, you may get it on the second or third try .

Good luck, and thanks for this thread - it was very helpful to me, and I hope that this post gives back just a little bit.

- Eric
MDchanic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2013, 03:56 AM   #58
hdsport
2008 WK 

GREAT.
Can't beat fixing something yourself and get the satisfaction of doing it.
Thanks for sharing this with us.
Paul
In God We Trust
hdsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #59
ChasUGC

Thank you very much for this FIY information. The turn signal on my '97 Wrangler Sport was constantly sticking. The switch just wouldn't disconnect after a turn most of the time.
It was very irritating, especially while trying to listen to music. I just replaced it with the help of this article, in less than an hour. I also painted the shroud covering it. And, I used a little clear coat over the labels so they wouldn't rub off. Now, it looks great and functions perfectly.
Thank you for this article.

Fondest Jeep Memory: I was on the 710 freeway during a flood. Cars and Trucks were stuck in a flooded under pass. The water was at least three feet high. People were standing outside of their cars waving me off, saying that I would get stuck. I just smiled, put my Jeep into 4-wheel drive, and drove right through it
without a hitch. I was so proud of my Jeep that day.
ChasUGC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2013, 07:04 PM   #60
bingles
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Great write up. Replaced this switch in my 2000 today and works like a charm. Thanks!
bingles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.