Write Up: Replace the Turn Signal Switch on 97+ XJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Write Up: Replace the Turn Signal Switch on 97+ XJ

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 03-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #31
mortalenema
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000BB6 View Post
could it be that i need to replace my flasher? sorry to thread jack here
If your turn signals still work, but get stuck every once in a while, it probably is the flasher. It's worth checking anyway.

mortalenema is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2010, 12:27 AM   #32
NoSoupFoYou
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ok my problem is this, turn signals both work, for about 10-12 flashes, then go solid. Either side. Same with the hazards, go solid shortly after it's turned on. For everyday driving they seem fine, unless I sit at a long light, then they go solid. Sound like a flasher, or this commen signal switch problem? 2000XJ
Unread 08-19-2010, 11:25 AM   #33
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Whenever I turn on my blinker, I push the stalk down and it'll blink a few time then shuts off even when the stalk is pushed down in the "on" position. Think it's the switch?
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. It’s a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, we’re a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #34
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

i second swaggers..this has been happening on mine too. any thoughts? this just started after i put in my LED tails but now im back to stock lights and its still happening.
Unread 11-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #35
regent

Thanks for posting this, great write up, just changed mine out, hazards were coming on with the left turn signal. For some reason my 2000 didn't have the bottom bracket on the turn signal dust cover.
Unread 03-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #36
Superfly3176
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Question regarding this.

2005 Wrangler X

My turn signals went out. Noticed my brake lights aren't working, or hazards for that matter is this a symptom of the turn signal switch as well? I'd like to know before I ebay one thanks.
Superfly3176 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #37
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure if this has been posted or not. But instead of spending 100 bucks on new signal multiswitches there are a few vehicles that share the same switch.

Late 90's TJ's, of course late 90's XJ's - but if your locations are anything like mine, there arent alot of jeeps in the pick n pull yards.... SOOO do the next best thing! Go find one of the many hundred Dodge Neons your junk yards are bound to be chock full of - at least the yards up here are.

Any late 90's neon has the exact same signal light switch as 97+ cherokees.

I pulled one today from a 99 neon to replace the one in my 99 XJ - works perfect, same Chrysler model #s and everything.
410440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #38
KME
1999 FSJ Cherokee 

Turn Signals

Thank you for the instructions, they were easy to understand, I was having the problem with the turn signals not working, and my Father changed out the turn signal assembly, and after that I still had the same problem. My turn signal didn't turn off anyway after I completed a turn, so it got fixed anyway.

It turned out that my flasher was the part that was malfunctioning. My hazard lights worked, but the turn signals would only work a little, or not at all. He replaced the flasher, which is inside the dash- underneath the headlight knob on the left hand side. My father thought that they were on seperate flashers, but it turned out that the hazard lights and the turn signals are the same. You can locate it if you hear it clicking when you have the dash apart.
KME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2011, 03:29 PM   #39
Zaduka31
1983 CJ7 

I will be changing mine tonight
Zaduka31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #40
sbxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufftrain View Post
This worked great!!! I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport. Only difference was I did not have the bottom T15 screw. Also I was able to push the tilt lever toward the dash without having to remove the cable to get the switch out.

ps...I was able to get one T15 screw loose with a 7/16 allen, but in the end, I needed to stop at the store to get the T15 screw driver. Give the 7/16 a try but be very careful not to strip the screw.

Thanks Again!
Thanks for the writeup.
did mine today and had no bottom screw either.
Chrysler made the job just difficult enough that the avg Joe would go to the Stealership.

'99 WJ Laredo, 4.0L with HID Retrofit
WJ HID Retrofit Pics
sbxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #41
paragrunt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for this write up! Mission accomplished, I just put in my new switch. I can honestly say that I just learned something new today.
paragrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 11:06 PM   #42
mftrader
1997 TJ Wrangler 

New turn signal switch but won't automatically turn off

Changed mine out tonite. Although the small white lever that resets the turn signal was broke it still stays on after turning. After further inspection there is a white plastic ring around the steering column that looks like a tab is broken off. So there is nothing tripping the new turn signal switch. Does anyone know what this part is called and how to replace it?
mftrader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #43
hdsport
2008 WK 

Recondition switch

I am a "take apart" person and have developed a method to completely disassemble these switches and recondition them. I love to do detailede work and these were a challenge to me a couple of years ago. There are a lot of internal parts and the reassembly is a little tricky, but if you are careful, it can be done.
My time is abour 1 1/2 hours to do one of these.

I am currently doing this for a local shop with 100% success.

If anyone would like a rebuild, please let me know.

Also, I would consider buying your old one to keep in stock.

Instead of throwing your old one away, I could get you $10 plus shipping for your old one....help defray the cost of a new one.
These will easily fit into a USPS Priority Mail soft envelope...$4.95 anywhere.

Email me at: pjb7@live.com for info.

Thanks,
Paul
In God We Trust
hdsport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2012, 11:23 PM   #44
dernt

I just replaced this switch, and I don't see how it can be done without removing the upper and lower dash panels along with the lower steel panel. I wrestled without removing the panels and finally decided I would end up breaking something in reassembly if I didn't take off the dash panels. I wish I would have just removed the dash panels from the beginning. Much easier to do that way.
dernt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #45
classxj
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Will this work on a 90?
classxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.