Write Up: Replace the Turn Signal Switch on 97+ XJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Write Up: Replace the Turn Signal Switch on 97+ XJ

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #16
LeftOfCenterXJ
1988 XJ Cherokee 

The only recommendation I would have is to get one from the stealership. I installed three aftermarket ones before I got one from Jeep. The aftermarket ones weren't cancelling properly. The one from Jeep was about the same price IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
It makes your trolling more credible to be grammatically correct. Lets everyone know you're a legitimate troll, not just one of those poser trolls.

Last edited by LeftOfCenterXJ; 10-20-2009 at 01:46 PM..
LeftOfCenterXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 12:45 AM   #17
tjorbust
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have priced them. the cheapest is actually from that rockauto site. The second cheapest is oddly, the stealership. Sad times as the nearest one is 2 hours away. But thanks so much for the helpful notes!
tjorbust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 11:41 AM   #18
amgqmp1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjorbust View Post
I have priced them. the cheapest is actually from that rockauto site. The second cheapest is oddly, the stealership. Sad times as the nearest one is 2 hours away. But thanks so much for the helpful notes!
If I can't get something locally, I get tend to get it from RockAuto. They're great a parts company. I bought the cheapest one they had, and it worked fine while I had it. That being said, I just learned a hard lesson about buying cheap thermostats. If you can live with possibly having to do it twice, start with the cheap part.

For reference, I was replacing the factory module on a '98 TJ with 50K miles on it. I have to admit to being rather surprised that the factory module only made it 50K miles...but, I have no idea how crazy the previous owner was getting with the turn signals...maybe he sat in his driveway pretending to drive for hours on end or something.
amgqmp1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2009, 12:44 AM   #19
bennyblown2v

THANKS so much for this writeup - just got my switch from rockauto (where I always order, actually). Gotta love 5% off coupons they have posted up too, heh. Just google "rock auto coupon" and it'll be one of the first results, or sign up for their mailing list - which is also awesome cuz they post up closeouts. Got a pair of rotors for $10 a few months ago, and front pads for $5 LOL...brand name stuff too!

Last edited by bennyblown2v; 10-21-2009 at 01:02 AM..
bennyblown2v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #20
reddevils
1999 TJ Wrangler 

this writeup is spot on,very good it took somewhat less time(20 min.)good job!thanks.i also had to carry my first switch back to autozone for not canceling on left turns.it was a autozone duralast packaging.guess what?my replacement also from autozone(duralast packaging)had a big ole chrysler corp.pentastar embossed on the switch imagine that!the only difference was the second one had some grease on the switch where the canceling device is,it was lubricated.before you install one make sure its lubed.that is probbaly why they don't work rite

Last edited by reddevils; 11-22-2009 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: sp
reddevils is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #21
bufftrain
2000 FSJ Cherokee 

This worked great!!! I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport. Only difference was I did not have the bottom T15 screw. Also I was able to push the tilt lever toward the dash without having to remove the cable to get the switch out.

ps...I was able to get one T15 screw loose with a 7/16 allen, but in the end, I needed to stop at the store to get the T15 screw driver. Give the 7/16 a try but be very careful not to strip the screw.

Thanks Again!

Last edited by bufftrain; 11-30-2009 at 12:22 PM..
bufftrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 03:04 AM   #22
1997JeepXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same issue with my jeep...lol.....turn the left turn signal on and my hazards lites flash....i had ppl coming up to me at stop lites asking me if i had problems and i was like wtf are u talking about...then 1 day i got out and looked for myself.....couldnt believe my eyes seeing that......nice write up on this...going to be my next project soon

Engine : 4.0 Liter I6 - Transmission : Automatic

Color : Dark Green with Grey Interior
1997JeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2009, 03:55 PM   #23
reddevils
1999 TJ Wrangler 

my jeep is a wrangler,fix is the same
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #24
jsmiddleton4
1997 XJ Cherokee 

"you have to pop off the black plastic on the ignition."

1. You don't have to remove the key cylinder? The black gizmo pops off?

2. After doing mine I now have a rubbing sound when I have the tilt steering wheel adjusted all the way up. Does not sound mechanical, sounds like a housing or shroud rubbing. Goes away if I pull the steering wheel towards me. Does not move hardly at all, just a tiny bit. But it stops rubbing on whatever is rubbing. Any ideas?
jsmiddleton4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2009, 12:47 AM   #25
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmiddleton4 View Post
"you have to pop off the black plastic on the ignition."

1. You don't have to remove the key cylinder? The black gizmo pops off?

2. After doing mine I now have a rubbing sound when I have the tilt steering wheel adjusted all the way up. Does not sound mechanical, sounds like a housing or shroud rubbing. Goes away if I pull the steering wheel towards me. Does not move hardly at all, just a tiny bit. But it stops rubbing on whatever is rubbing. Any ideas?
1. Nope, the black part pops right off, no need to pull the key cylinder on 97+ XJs. Not sure about other models but I would bet it is the same.

2. No idea.
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #26
jsmiddleton4
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. I just always am hesitant about plastic parts that are suppose to pop off on a 1997 vehicle. Popping the starter switch solenoid out is easy.

Fixed rubbing sound. It was the small u-joint at bottom of column. Part of what I did was reattach/arrange the rubber like shroud around the steering column housing. It was keeping the steering column from going all the way up. Once positioned correctly the column was able to go up a bit further which then changed the angle enough on the u-joint that it started the rubbing sound. It was probably dry for some time. Cleaned and lubed the u-joint and now no rubbing sound.

I however just did the turn signal again. The one I bought, a Borg Warner one, and put in less than a week ago failed. The head lights/high beam function stopped working and lights would not come on unless holding the high beams on manually. I am finding folks who say bite the bullet and buy Mopar and you'll be happier in the long run might have a point.

New switch in, lights working fine, but gotta wonder if this new Borg Warner switch is going to fail too.
jsmiddleton4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2010, 11:09 AM   #27
xcraftllc
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks man, straight to the point. I can't believe how often these switches fail.
xcraftllc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #28
2000BB6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

just replaced mine and same problems, going to the dealer ship for the part. i bought an aftermarket one.
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #29
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

awesome write up, just did this with mine.
Gnl.Weirdness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2010, 02:01 PM   #30
2000BB6
2000 XJ Cherokee 

could it be that i need to replace my flasher? sorry to thread jack here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.