Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Write Up: Replace the Turn Signal Switch on 97+ XJ

130K views 76 replies 60 participants last post by  Ralph77 
#1 ·
How to Change the Turn Signal Switch: 1997 and up XJ
I didn't see a write-up on replacing the turn signal switch so I made one.

Symptoms:
My hazard lights would not work when the switch was activated.
When activating a left hand turn signal, the hazard flashers would go on.
On occasion, nothing would go on when the left turn signal was activated.

Solution:
Time for a new switch. This is a very common issue on 97+ XJ's. I got my switch from ebay for $40 shipped.

Tools:
T-15 Torx bit
Phillips screw driver

Time:
1 hour

Difficulty: Easy

If you have a tilt steering wheel, adjust the steering wheel to the top position.
Remove the 3 screws on the bottom of the plastic shroud with a Phillips screwdriver. Two are in front, one is way in the back on the ignition side.
Remove the bottom half of the plastic shroud.

If you have a tilt steering wheel, adjust the steering wheel to the bottom position.
Remove the top half of the plastic shroud.

Remove the 3 screws that hold the rubber dust guard using the T-15 Torx bit. There are two on top and one on the bottom (on the turn signal side of the column).

The tilt adjust lever blocks the removal of the turn signal switch so you will have to remove the cable from the adjster so that you can rotate the adjuster out of the way.

There are 2 electrical connectors, remove the top one first - I used a screw driver to depress the connector lock and pulled the top wiring harness out.

Then remove the bottom electrical connector. I had to move the turn signal switch towards the roof so that the wiring harness could be removed. In the picture - they red bracket prevents the yellow part of the wiring harness from pulling out completely. Raise the switch and the harness will clear the red portion of the other component.

Remove the old switch. Put in the new switch. Installation is exactly the reverse of removal.

See less See more
#4 ·
kind of a similar question...my hazard lights, if i dont push the switch back and then over only one side of my turn signals will go on, if i push back on the switch then all four will work, is this something that could fix that as well?

edit, i read more about what you said at the top, but my symptoms are opposite of yours...haha

#7 ·
Just finished installing my new switch. I would recommend that you take off the upper and lower dash covers as well (left them on when I disassembed the column covers...very hard to get the column covers off; took the dash covers off, made reassembly much easier). Only skinned one knuckle in the process, but well worth it to have a fully functioning turn signal switch again.

#9 ·
I just replaced the switch and combination flasher in my "00 xj and everything is working fine now except that when i open my door the front blinkers/dash lights flash for about 15 seconds after i close the door. could this be the security system? any ideas on how to solve this?

#13 ·
Good write up!

Only thing I think you should add is:

When removing the lower shroud, you have to pop off the black plastic on the ignition.

I just took it all apart yesterday and I didn't realize that it just popped off and I spent like 20 minutes trying to work around it, until I pulled so hard bc I was so pissed off, that it finally popped off on its own. After that, it was smooth sailing

#16 · (Edited)
The only recommendation I would have is to get one from the stealership. I installed three aftermarket ones before I got one from Jeep. The aftermarket ones weren't cancelling properly. The one from Jeep was about the same price IIRC.

#18 ·
If I can't get something locally, I get tend to get it from RockAuto. They're great a parts company. I bought the cheapest one they had, and it worked fine while I had it. That being said, I just learned a hard lesson about buying cheap thermostats. If you can live with possibly having to do it twice, start with the cheap part. :)

For reference, I was replacing the factory module on a '98 TJ with 50K miles on it. I have to admit to being rather surprised that the factory module only made it 50K miles...but, I have no idea how crazy the previous owner was getting with the turn signals...maybe he sat in his driveway pretending to drive for hours on end or something. :teehee:

#19 · (Edited)
THANKS so much for this writeup - just got my switch from rockauto (where I always order, actually). Gotta love 5% off coupons they have posted up too, heh. Just google "rock auto coupon" and it'll be one of the first results, or sign up for their mailing list - which is also awesome cuz they post up closeouts. Got a pair of rotors for $10 a few months ago, and front pads for $5 LOL...brand name stuff too!

#20 · (Edited)
this writeup is spot on,very good it took somewhat less time(20 min.)good job!thanks.i also had to carry my first switch back to autozone for not canceling on left turns.it was a autozone duralast packaging.guess what?my replacement also from autozone(duralast packaging)had a big ole chrysler corp.pentastar embossed on the switch imagine that!the only difference was the second one had some grease on the switch where the canceling device is,it was lubricated.before you install one make sure its lubed.that is probbaly why they don't work rite

#21 · (Edited)
This worked great!!! I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport. Only difference was I did not have the bottom T15 screw. Also I was able to push the tilt lever toward the dash without having to remove the cable to get the switch out.

ps...I was able to get one T15 screw loose with a 7/16 allen, but in the end, I needed to stop at the store to get the T15 screw driver. Give the 7/16 a try but be very careful not to strip the screw.

Thanks Again!

#40 ·
This worked great!!! I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport. Only difference was I did not have the bottom T15 screw. Also I was able to push the tilt lever toward the dash without having to remove the cable to get the switch out.

ps...I was able to get one T15 screw loose with a 7/16 allen, but in the end, I needed to stop at the store to get the T15 screw driver. Give the 7/16 a try but be very careful not to strip the screw.

Thanks Again!
Thanks for the writeup.
did mine today and had no bottom screw either.
Chrysler made the job just difficult enough that the avg Joe would go to the Stealership.

#22 ·
I have the same issue with my jeep...lol.....turn the left turn signal on and my hazards lites flash....i had ppl coming up to me at stop lites asking me if i had problems and i was like wtf are u talking about...then 1 day i got out and looked for myself.....couldnt believe my eyes seeing that......nice write up on this...going to be my next project soon

#24 ·
"you have to pop off the black plastic on the ignition."

1. You don't have to remove the key cylinder? The black gizmo pops off?

2. After doing mine I now have a rubbing sound when I have the tilt steering wheel adjusted all the way up. Does not sound mechanical, sounds like a housing or shroud rubbing. Goes away if I pull the steering wheel towards me. Does not move hardly at all, just a tiny bit. But it stops rubbing on whatever is rubbing. Any ideas?

#26 ·
Thanks. I just always am hesitant about plastic parts that are suppose to pop off on a 1997 vehicle. Popping the starter switch solenoid out is easy.

Fixed rubbing sound. It was the small u-joint at bottom of column. Part of what I did was reattach/arrange the rubber like shroud around the steering column housing. It was keeping the steering column from going all the way up. Once positioned correctly the column was able to go up a bit further which then changed the angle enough on the u-joint that it started the rubbing sound. It was probably dry for some time. Cleaned and lubed the u-joint and now no rubbing sound.

I however just did the turn signal again. The one I bought, a Borg Warner one, and put in less than a week ago failed. The head lights/high beam function stopped working and lights would not come on unless holding the high beams on manually. I am finding folks who say bite the bullet and buy Mopar and you'll be happier in the long run might have a point.

New switch in, lights working fine, but gotta wonder if this new Borg Warner switch is going to fail too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.