Write Up: Replace the Turn Signal Switch on 97+ XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Write Up: Replace the Turn Signal Switch on 97+ XJ

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #1
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Write Up: Replace the Turn Signal Switch on 97+ XJ

How to Change the Turn Signal Switch: 1997 and up XJ
I didn't see a write-up on replacing the turn signal switch so I made one.

Symptoms:
My hazard lights would not work when the switch was activated.
When activating a left hand turn signal, the hazard flashers would go on.
On occasion, nothing would go on when the left turn signal was activated.

Solution:
Time for a new switch. This is a very common issue on 97+ XJ's. I got my switch from ebay for $40 shipped.

Tools:
T-15 Torx bit
Phillips screw driver

Time:
1 hour

Difficulty: Easy

If you have a tilt steering wheel, adjust the steering wheel to the top position.
Remove the 3 screws on the bottom of the plastic shroud with a Phillips screwdriver. Two are in front, one is way in the back on the ignition side.
Remove the bottom half of the plastic shroud.

If you have a tilt steering wheel, adjust the steering wheel to the bottom position.
Remove the top half of the plastic shroud.

Remove the 3 screws that hold the rubber dust guard using the T-15 Torx bit. There are two on top and one on the bottom (on the turn signal side of the column).

The tilt adjust lever blocks the removal of the turn signal switch so you will have to remove the cable from the adjster so that you can rotate the adjuster out of the way.

There are 2 electrical connectors, remove the top one first - I used a screw driver to depress the connector lock and pulled the top wiring harness out.

Then remove the bottom electrical connector. I had to move the turn signal switch towards the roof so that the wiring harness could be removed. In the picture - they red bracket prevents the yellow part of the wiring harness from pulling out completely. Raise the switch and the harness will clear the red portion of the other component.

Remove the old switch. Put in the new switch. Installation is exactly the reverse of removal.

the_weirdo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
firehawk
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Perfect timing with the write up. My 2000 turn signal switch is hanging up on right turns. It won't shut off all the way.
[B][COLOR="Sienna"]A lot of parts that cost a lot of money[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR="DimGray"]xjTalk.com[/COLOR][/B]
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
TPI Monte SS
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Nice writeup!

'06 Infiniti G35x - coupe front springs, tint, FX35 18's, hitch for the bike rack.

'03 KJ Limited -WifesJeep- 3.7, Auto, NP 242, '06 Limited 17's. 50K original miles.
TPI Monte SS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2008, 12:00 PM   #4
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

kind of a similar question...my hazard lights, if i dont push the switch back and then over only one side of my turn signals will go on, if i push back on the switch then all four will work, is this something that could fix that as well?

edit, i read more about what you said at the top, but my symptoms are opposite of yours...haha
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
mortalenema
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice writeup. If balloo doesn't sticky this, shoot him a PM. This should be in the Tech/FAQ.
mortalenema is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #6
Agent 000
Secret Agent Man

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Excellent writeup...will be replacing the switch on my XJ tomorrow.

Chili Pepper Red 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Agent 000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
Agent 000
Secret Agent Man

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just finished installing my new switch. I would recommend that you take off the upper and lower dash covers as well (left them on when I disassembed the column covers...very hard to get the column covers off; took the dash covers off, made reassembly much easier). Only skinned one knuckle in the process, but well worth it to have a fully functioning turn signal switch again.

Chili Pepper Red 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Agent 000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
davis61381

Does this also apply for the Wiper stalk switch, or do we need to remove the steering wheel.
davis61381 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 06:07 PM   #9
jacobomb
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just replaced the switch and combination flasher in my "00 xj and everything is working fine now except that when i open my door the front blinkers/dash lights flash for about 15 seconds after i close the door. could this be the security system? any ideas on how to solve this?
jacobomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
jacobomb
2000 XJ Cherokee 

the whiper and signal switches use the same steps for replacement.
jacobomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Good writeup

if this ever happens to me in the future, I know where to look

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-31-2009, 07:45 PM   #12
mpd8488

I've done it a few times and I've managed without taking the cable off of the tilt lever, though I'm sure that doing so makes it much easier.
mpd8488 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
99FormulaM6
2007 WK 

Good write up!

Only thing I think you should add is:

When removing the lower shroud, you have to pop off the black plastic on the ignition.

I just took it all apart yesterday and I didn't realize that it just popped off and I spent like 20 minutes trying to work around it, until I pulled so hard bc I was so pissed off, that it finally popped off on its own. After that, it was smooth sailing

How To: Differential pinion mount/bushing replacement for WK/XK
99FormulaM6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
tjorbust
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Can someone add in a pic of this part so when 'm ordering one from the tards at the parts store I dont get the wrong thing? My 97TJ doesnt have any turn signals at all right now and I've ruled out the fuses and put in a new relay.
tjorbust is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2009, 02:56 PM   #15
amgqmp1

Here's a link to what the assembly looks like (from RockAuto): http://info.rockauto.com/getimage/ge...tex/1S1814.jpg

I did this last winter in a '98 TJ. I remember it being much easier with the wheel tilted all the way down.
amgqmp1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.