Worn steering box? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Worn steering box?

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
xjman4life
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Worn steering box?

So I have some brand new tires and I got an alignment and everything was in spec. I double checked all of my replaceable parts up front. Recently I had to park the jeep because I am getting slight cupping, feather edged wear on my passenger front tire. It is only noticeable because the outside tread blocks are siped and it catches my finger as I run it over the block. I double checked the play in all my TRE's and my BJ's and I'm puzzled. The jeep is hard to keep on the road and wanders a lot. I also have a lot of steering wheel play but nothing at the wheels in reference to the TRE's. The only thing I found weird is when I push on the tire firmly at 3 and 9 o clock I can hear an audible clunk from the steering box.

IS this normal? The shop didn't even catch this when they aligned it a few weeks ago and I noticed it months ago but everyone said it was fine as long as it aligns fine. Well it is aligned and I am getting wear?

Any input?

xjman4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
kenC
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i had same issue on my old 99 i replaced box with a reman and it was fine
kenC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
xjman4life
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I took it to Merchants and they said the wear is from lack of rotating, little do they know, I've only put like 500 miles on them. They suggested replacing the box and quoted me at 485. I picked up a reman and already snapped 2 bolts...dammit. Back to the store I guess.
Unread 09-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #4
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yup... steering box. Mine is shot, need to replace it soon too. NOT looking forward to removing it.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
xjman4life
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I picked up a reman after debating what to do. The tire shop said the tire is wearing weird because I haven't rotated the tires, I haven't even out 500 miles on them. I broke the inner cast brace so I had to order a steel one from c-rok to replace that. Two of the bolts broke off in the box as well. Totally sucking so far.
Unread 09-04-2012, 02:37 AM   #6
GregB_00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am going to order that steel brace as well before I replace mine... good call there.

____=__=
l l ,[_____],
l---- L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
GregB_00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.