Won't stay running - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Won't stay running

Jeep Wrangler Hurricane Flat Fender Flare Kits for 2007-208.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 03-03-2008, 05:02 AM   #1
jagates
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Won't stay running

My battery died the other day so I put the charger on over night. Now my Jeep won’t start unless I put the gas pedal to the floor. And then it won’t stay running unless I keep my foot on the accelerator slightly. If I let off the accelerator it dies immediately.

99 Cherokee Classic with 4.0l automatic.

Any ideas on what the problem might be. Thanks.

jagates is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
murrayman23
1987 XJ Cherokee 

This might be a fuel problem. If you have to put your foot on the pedal to start it your basically letting in more gas into the engine therefore .....there is not enough gas getting to your engine. Check the fuel filter, sending unit and lines.
[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Blue"] [SIZE="3"][COLOR="Lime"][COLOR="White"]"Rusty"[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE] 1987 Jeep Cherokee XJ. 4.0L. 4X4. NP242. 3.5" RE superflex kit. RE Twin Tube Shocks. Rancho RS5000 Steering Stabilizer. Cragar soft 8's. 31" BFGoodrich A/T KO. Warrior Products Rock Crawler Bumper. Cobra CB. Firestik Firefly antenna. KC Daylighters.[COLOR="Black"]Half Herculined[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Half Navy blue[/COLOR] [/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
murrayman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 05:32 AM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

The relationship of the dead battery to the new starting symptom may be more than a coincidence.

If you never had this starting problem UNTIL just after your battery died and was charged, then I would have your electrical system (battery/alternator) checked. Your XJ engine doesn't like it when available voltage is low. Have the battery load tested and then get a meter and put a lead on each post of your battery. At high idle, you should have approximately 14.4 volts. If your elec. system checks out, then you can start chasing other stuff but simple stuff first.....
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2008, 06:17 AM   #4
jagates
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
The relationship of the dead battery to the new starting symptom may be more than a coincidence.

If you never had this starting problem UNTIL just after your battery died and was charged, then I would have your electrical system (battery/alternator) checked. Your XJ engine doesn't like it when available voltage is low. Have the battery load tested and then get a meter and put a lead on each post of your battery. At high idle, you should have approximately 14.4 volts. If your elec. system checks out, then you can start chasing other stuff but simple stuff first.....
Thanks, I was suspecting the battery or alternator also. I'm going to try a different battery first when I get home from work. Then the alternator. Then on to the fuel system if neither or those is it.
Unread 03-04-2008, 05:03 AM   #5
jagates
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Changed the battery, problem solved. Runs fine now. Weird how it had enough juice to start but not stay running once started.
Unread 03-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #6
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

You'd be surprised how often you can run into strange problems due to low battery voltage. And yea, your battery can definitely have enough to crank the engine but be tweeked enough to create driveability problems. Glad to hear you are back on the road with a simple battery replacement!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Habib66
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have a similar problem now where i left my lights on which drained my battery. I tried jumping the car and it would turn over but the engine would not fire up unless i gave it gas to keep it running. Ounce i took my foot off the gas it would die. I have an 1/8th of gas in my tank. after about the 6th attempt i noticed a small amount of white smoke so i stopped.

it could be a dead batter that doesnt have enough juice
or im thinking since the battery died it knocked off the computer system, becasue it is not idleing

what should i do?

thanks
Habib66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I would recharge the battery fully then have it load tested. If the battery tests okay run the jeep for a bit, and let the computer relearn the idle settings. My guess is that the battery will fail the load test though.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2009, 11:15 PM   #9
Habib66
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I let the battery charge and it was reading 12v while it was off. I turned the car on and when it turned over i gassed it to 2-3 rpm. I then slowly manualy let it idel at 1-2 rpm for about 5 minutes. I then turned off the car and when i turned it back on everythin was fine. I think it was the computer that just got knocked off.
Habib66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.