Won't Start-- Not Battery - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Won't Start-- Not Battery

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 08-17-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Goober_Rocks

Won't Start-- Not Battery

So my Jeep isn't starting at all right now. If I have a friend jump it, it starts and runs just fine. I've checked the battery and the cables with a voltmeter, and they are all fine. I assume the alternator is fine as the battery has a normal charge. Other ideas?

'03 Grand Cherokee
70,000 miles
Goober_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2005, 04:14 PM   #2
kg6mti
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It could still be your battery. If your battery isn't putting out enough amperage then it won't be able to start your engine. It is possible for the battery to display full or near full voltage but low amperage. I would recommend getting the battery tested. But your problem could also be your starter or the solenoid. Any good auto parts store should be able to test all these parts for you but you will have to remove them.

Good Luck!
Unread 08-17-2005, 04:16 PM   #3
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If it needs to be jumped to start it, that would point towards a bad battery. Sometimes, individual cells in the battery can go bad. The battery will still read 12v, but it won't put out the amperage to crank the engine.

Looks like someone beat me to it...
Unread 08-17-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
Boomhauer
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Mine had the same prob as yours. jump it and was good, but it would only hold a charge for about 6-8 hours. It was the battery. Hope this helps.
Boomhauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2005, 04:25 PM   #5
anony91xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mti
It could still be your battery. If your battery isn't putting out enough amperage then it won't be able to start your engine. It is possible for the battery to display full or near full voltage but low amperage. I would recommend getting the battery tested. But your problem could also be your starter or the solenoid. Any good auto parts store should be able to test all these parts for you but you will have to remove them.

Good Luck!
What he said. A voltmeter is effectively useless at testing batteries (automotive or otherwise) unless it can put a load on it.

Most national chain auto parts stores (AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys, etc) will test your battery, starter, and alternator for free. Go to one of those places and see what comes up, I bet it's a bad battery.

Not for nothing, but the terminal connectors are tight on the battery, right?
Unread 08-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #6
Goober_Rocks

Thanks everyone, just took a new battery. It started up just fine after that. I like the simple fixes.
Goober_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.