I went to start my 1990 XJ Limited this morning, and nothing. I mean absolutely nothing. No lights, no horn, nothin. It's dead. No juice at all from the battery, an dit was just driven last night with no problems.
So I get out my battery charger and hook it up. Lots of pretty sparks, and the amp meter on the charger SPIKES
stays there for a couple seconds, and then the built-in safety in the charger cuts it off.
First thought is it looks like there's a SERIOUS short somewhere that drained the battery and is still shorting out, causing the huge draw when I hook up the charger.
So I disconnected the negative (ground) cable from the battery. I hooked the charger back up to the battery, negative to the negative post and positive to the positive cable (which was still hooked up). Exactly the same thing happened. Pretty sparks, spikes amp meter for a couple seconds, then automatic cut-off.
I was already late for work so I couldn't mess with it any more, but as I'm thinking about it, it doesn't make sense. If it's a short, with my ground cable disconnected from the battery and not touching anything, how is it completing the circuit from the positive charger cable to the negative battery post without the ground cable? It is the battery itself that's fried?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.