WJ brake knuckle conversion on 99 XJ poss. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > WJ brake knuckle conversion on 99 XJ poss.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #16
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Question.

Haven't seen mention of the master cylinder.

When you start running WJ front brakes and ZJ rear disc brakes do you need a different master cylinder (like the WJ), or does the XJ one work fine?

Oh, and my last question. How do you buy rotors? Do you just buy WJ rotors and then have them drilled out to the XJ bolt pattern or are they already the same?

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #17
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I'm running the stock MC on my ZJ, no issues. Some people swap in WJ master cylinder, it requires you to fab a 1/4" spacer for the firewall (which I believe is a non-issue to you ).

WJ rotors are different from XJ/ZJ/TJ, drill the rotors to accept 5 x 4.5. I used a drill press and an old unit hub spindle (with the spindle cut off/ studs whacked out) as guide.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #18
thechefinman

Man that was one hell of a write up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
JKS sells the necessary hub spacer just for this swap

heres the simplest write up

XJ Buildup III - Page 9 - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association
thechefinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #19
thechefinman

I have a question about this build... I am new to the jeep world and love mine very much. I want to do this build because of the extra stopping power that it would get and there is a killer deal that I came across for 99-02 oem still in the box calipers. I have read both threads only to find that both individuals used spacers and re-drilled wj rotors (which I am fine with doing). I think my main confusion is where or when they start talking about the spacers. Is there aftermarket spacers that you can buy? Is there a more proper fitting hub (in actuality what hub needs to be used) that a person can use or does that hub have to be milled? If this mod comes down to milling that's gonna have to be a bust for me unfortunately. Also does this mod require a minimum rim size. I think I read that somewhere I just cant remember where.
thechefinman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:04 AM   #20
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
JKS makes the 1/4" weld-on hub spacer, it's been mentioned on this thread as well. About 15 bucks a piece or so. You can use stock XJ unit hubs on the WJ knuckles, no machining required. That's why you're buying the 1/4" hub spacer (aligns u-joints in relation to balljoints).

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.