WJ brake knuckle conversion on 99 XJ poss. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > WJ brake knuckle conversion on 99 XJ poss.

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-18-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

WJ brake knuckle conversion on 99 XJ poss.

So I am thinking about not lifting this summer and instead focus more on safety/features of the XJ instead. One of them that I have been brainstorming is improving the D30. I posted a while back about whether a D30 was worth sinking money into and most people agreed it was. Well as a result, I am thinking about doing the '03 WJ Knuckle/Brake Swap on greenmachine.

Here is what I have had bookmarked for like a year:

XJ Cherokee Conversion to WJ Front Brakes & Steering

I really like this idea a lot. According to car-part, the front axle assy is pretty common around here and can be had for as little as $300. There are a lot of '99 and '00 around but if I want an '03+ caliper set, there's an '04 for $450 at the beach for sale. I guess I would also need the master and the booster along with the prop valve off a WJ too.

I wanted to ask around and see if there were many folks who had done this to 97+ XJs and what yalls opinion is on this matter. Maybe I should save my money and put it towards something else. I do want to say that I will prob have to do a rotor pad change soon within the next year regardless....figured I might as well upgrade, right?

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
justanotherjpr

It seems well reported, but I am not sure where you could source the bearing spacer you would need, besides having a local machine shop cut it out. You should not need the the booster or prop valve from the WJ.

Personally, I am pretty satisfied with my stock front brakes and rear disc conversion. I think you'd be pretty happy if you did the WJ conversion on the front, just make sure you get something to improve braking out back too - you don't want it all in the front.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #3
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

JKS sells the necessary hub spacer just for this swap

heres the simplest write up

XJ Buildup III - Page 9 - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I'm just doing this swap to my 1990 XJ.. the only "special" thing you really need is the spacer and also re-doing your steering.

While doing the conversion, I'd strongly suggest to consider running OTK cross-over steering. You can also do "y-link" OTK steering like many do (using ie. 1-ton GM TREs, can't remember the part numbers now though). Parts are easily available. What you need to do in that case is either invest in a correct-sized reamer and carefully do the job yourself, or take the knuckles to a machine shop. It is a good idea anyways for a shop to do it, since welding the spacers to the cast knuckles isn't what everyone can do.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 08:10 AM   #5
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
It seems well reported, but I am not sure where you could source the bearing spacer you would need, besides having a local machine shop cut it out. You should not need the the booster or prop valve from the WJ.

Personally, I am pretty satisfied with my stock front brakes and rear disc conversion. I think you'd be pretty happy if you did the WJ conversion on the front, just make sure you get something to improve braking out back too - you don't want it all in the front.
i'm still planning on swapping in a disc'd D44 this summer. I still need to get in touch with my friend and go over and pull his D35 brakes. I will try to get on top of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
JKS sells the necessary hub spacer just for this swap

heres the simplest write up

XJ Buildup III - Page 9 - NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association
Thanks for the info and link, it is looking more and more doable as I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
I'm just doing this swap to my 1990 XJ.. the only "special" thing you really need is the spacer and also re-doing your steering.

While doing the conversion, I'd strongly suggest to consider running OTK cross-over steering. You can also do "y-link" OTK steering like many do (using ie. 1-ton GM TREs, can't remember the part numbers now though). Parts are easily available. What you need to do in that case is either invest in a correct-sized reamer and carefully do the job yourself, or take the knuckles to a machine shop. It is a good idea anyways for a shop to do it, since welding the spacers to the cast knuckles isn't what everyone can do.
I would definitely try to run some different steering on this set-up most likely OTK. It seems that is the standard swap protocol anyways.

Thanks guys. I think what I'm going to do is look for a cheap-o '99-'00 WJ Front axle and just buy new '03+ calipers. I need to replace the BJs anyway so it makes since to upgrade to new hardware while I'm at it.

Gettin me excited!

Thank You Hooligan!!!

Unread 05-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
robojeep
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I've been thinking of doing this too!

for 96+ xjs, don't you already have a dual diaphram booster, and isn't it the same that is in the WJ? I seem to remember reading that, you might save some coin there if you don't need to swap it.

One other thing I've been thinking about: is all of the spacing issues a result of trying to maintain a 5x4.5 bolt pattern? I wonder: if you're getting nearly a whole axle assembly, could you just use everything (knuckles, hubs, rotors, etc) and switch to a 5x5.5 pattern? I haven't read enough to determine if the spacing problem is only because of the XJ/TJ hubs being used and if the WJ hubs fix that, just purely a guess.

obviously you'd no longer match the back, but if you're swapping the rear as well... or another way to look at it, it might be cheaper to get two different sets of tires
robojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

the spacing is so that the knuckle rotates properly with the u-joints in the axle. it realigns them to prevent binding. so they are necessary.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
robojeep
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
the spacing is so that the knuckle rotates properly with the u-joints in the axle. it realigns them to prevent binding. so they are necessary.
right, but will the WJ hubs correct the spacing also?

I suppose I could just look up the numbers, but I need to head to work
Unread 05-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojeep View Post
right, but will the WJ hubs correct the spacing also?

I suppose I could just look up the numbers, but I need to head to work
WJ hubs are the wrong bolt pattern - don't know if they'd provide the right spacing or not.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
robojeep
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
WJ hubs are the wrong bolt pattern - don't know if they'd provide the right spacing or not.
yeah, but what if you don't care about bolt pattern?

did a quick search, found this: Jeeps "R" Us - Have you climbed a rock today?

looks like he just used all WJ parts (no spacers) and then had the hubs+rotors drilled+studded to get 5x4.5 pattern. Assuming he's right in his measurements (and some spec checking would tell you) then it looks like this swap is really easy if you don't need 5x4.5, just use everything from the knuckle out from a WJ
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
escapeartist
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So, have you looked into this anymore? If so do you, or anyone else know will a 15X8 wheel clear this, or does this mod require a larger diameter wheel?
Unread 06-03-2010, 07:14 PM   #12
robojeep
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Stock XJ rims will not fit, there are some 15x8 rims that will. It sounds like though you'll need to shave some of the caliper. Some let the caliper "self clearance" from the wheel, so it sounds like it's not a super tight fit.

I have no personal experience with this though, just stuff I've gleamed while web wheelin'
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapeartist View Post
So, have you looked into this anymore? If so do you, or anyone else know will a 15X8 wheel clear this, or does this mod require a larger diameter wheel?
Well I know that the guy in the link in the first post was running canyons IIRC so I think that a 15x8 wheel would clear it. FWIW, I plan on running my Soft 8's with the new set-up although I would prob be better off running 16s.

FWIW I put this on hold till I get my AC fixed.

Thank You Hooligan!!!

Unread 06-03-2010, 10:06 PM   #14
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Something to look at when it comes time to do your steering:
Full Steering Kits

Just sharing

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #15
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod_hooligan View Post
Something to look at when it comes time to do your steering:
Full Steering Kits

Just sharing
That's a household name for true jeepers...no need to mention on my thread haha...If I can afford them, I'd do it. we'll see

Thank You Hooligan!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.