Wits end for a different reason... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Wits end for a different reason...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 10-20-2004, 11:29 PM   #1
k00laydrulz2k6

Wits end for a different reason...

My '88 cherokee has a few problems, one of the main ones being it misses on acceleration or when the engine is under any type of load. What could this be? It misses on the same cylinder all the time, but normally only when i am accelerating. When it began, i unplugged the ECM, then plugged it back in, and it went away for a while. It came back, and when i unplugged and re-connected the ECM, it was still there. I have to drive it like this to work and such, its the only vehicle i have. I've been through so many different diagnostic procedures with this, i've lost count. All i can really tell you is all cylinders are getting spark, and to the best of my knowledge, fuel. It doesnt seem to have any less power or torque than it did before. Could it be the Crankshaft position sensor? And is it bad to drive it like this? The other problem is, I have one of those oil leaks that seem to come from no where. It loses about a quart per week, and when i look from above, everything looks fine, with the average amount of dirt, and loose oil on top, but when i crawl underneath, its all over the front driveshaft, side of the block behind the exhaust manifold, oil pan, even as far back as the t-case. I'm ready to just ditch the engine, go buy a brand new long block, and use the distributor-less ignition on newer cherokees instead, but i need this to run untill i can get the $$ to do the swap. Thanks guys! Any help I can get is always appreciated, i mean it!

'88 Cherokee
2 Door 4x4
4.0 I6 Automatic Trans
210,000 miles and counting =D

k00laydrulz2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2004, 11:54 PM   #2
madrabbitt

have you swapped that plug with a diff one? try switching it out with the next one over and see what happens.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2004, 12:23 AM   #3
k00laydrulz2k6

Im not even sure which cylinder is misfiring. I had a guy with the title of "master mechanic" listen to it, and ride in it, and he sayd he didnt have the slightest clue as to what it could be =P
Unread 10-21-2004, 12:32 AM   #4
madrabbitt

hm. stick new plugs in it.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2004, 12:34 AM   #5
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Take the plugs out one at a time and look at them. Find the plug that looks different from the others and swap it out as well as replace the plug wire for that one.

Also check the dist and rotor and look for damage or build up on either of them.

I would take this time to replace the plugs, wires, and cap/rotor.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2004, 12:37 AM   #6
k00laydrulz2k6

will do, I need to run to Murray's for more oil anyways =P. If its not the plugs, anybody have any other suggestions?
Unread 10-21-2004, 12:39 AM   #7
k00laydrulz2k6

And i actually just replaced the distributor, cap, rotor, and plug wires not too long ago, and began swapping the old equipment back on to make sure it wasnt something related to the new items, and of course, i got nothing from it
Unread 10-21-2004, 03:22 AM   #8
Somthor

im clueless. i jsut know for the longest time i had a flat pedal and i did all sorts of things to improve it and i think ever scince the first day I owned it I actualy had a small crack or leak inbettween cylinders 5 and 6.

didnt use oil idled like crap until i put the MSd box on it, probalby would have ran on for yers longer except i ran some seafoam throguht it and drove the thing about 20 miles in 3rd gear at 4300rpm

Last year of the AMC. Modified
9 inch K&N cone filter and air tube
MSD 6A ignition and SSII blaster coil
improved thermostate houseing and fan relay switch
92 OEM cooling upgrade
4 gauge wiring upgrade
4.6L stroker engine
58mm TB and 1" spacer
24lb injectors
and for that extra power an Momo shifter knob
blue wagoneer club member #1
Somthor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2004, 07:51 AM   #9
drwambo

The other thing to check is compression on each cyl. If you've got a leaky valve or ring, it won't fire even with fuel and spark.
Regarding the oil leak, I'm jeep mechanic (yet) but it sounds like a rear main seal to me.

Good luck...
drwambo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2004, 02:53 PM   #10
k00laydrulz2k6

Alright, ill start going through and replacing everything untill it works right =P.. I'll be sure to let you guys know what i find.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.