Wiring for XJ Trailer Lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Wiring for XJ Trailer Lights

PANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thiFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #1
dirtydanzig
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wiring for XJ Trailer Lights

MY XJ didnt come with a towing package, so I've installed a hitch and just need to wire it up for lights. According to my research, they have both the clip in connectors to eliminate splicing, and they have the hard wire option which is cheaper but involves a tad more labor. My main question at this point is do the cherokees that already have a towing package installed from the factory, are they hard wired or have the plug in adapter? There are about 8 cherokees at the pull-a-part with towing packages so I was wondering if i could just go snag one off of those, or if i should skip it and buy a new one. Any recommendations?

dirtydanzig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #2
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydanzig View Post
MY XJ didnt come with a towing package, so I've installed a hitch and just need to wire it up for lights. According to my research, they have both the clip in connectors to eliminate splicing, and they have the hard wire option which is cheaper but involves a tad more labor. My main question at this point is do the cherokees that already have a towing package installed from the factory, are they hard wired or have the plug in adapter? There are about 8 cherokees at the pull-a-part with towing packages so I was wondering if i could just go snag one off of those, or if i should skip it and buy a new one. Any recommendations?
You might get lucky at the pick apart.

Go look under the left rear trim panel above the fender for the module you will need.

If you strike out you will have probably have to get one from Etrailer.com or some other source.

The XJ uses separate lights for brakes and turn signals, and trailers only use the one bulb for both. If you know your way around electronics there is a circuit you could build, but by the time you go do that you are better off just getting the converter.

BTW, you did not tell us about your ride or what you are pulling and how much weight it is going to be. If your truck is still stock, I suggest going with air bags to handle the extra weight. I have had very good luck with my set for the past 2 years.

Dave
dave564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2015, 12:19 PM   #3
dirtydanzig
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave564 View Post
You might get lucky at the pick apart.

Go look under the left rear trim panel above the fender for the module you will need.

If you strike out you will have probably have to get one from Etrailer.com or some other source.

The XJ uses separate lights for brakes and turn signals, and trailers only use the one bulb for both. If you know your way around electronics there is a circuit you could build, but by the time you go do that you are better off just getting the converter.

BTW, you did not tell us about your ride or what you are pulling and how much weight it is going to be. If your truck is still stock, I suggest going with air bags to handle the extra weight. I have had very good luck with my set for the past 2 years.

Dave
Sorry about that. I just have a mostly stock 99 xj sport and i'm only pulling a few hundred pounds. I'm moving from Birmingham, AL to New Orleans so I'm only really getting this all installed to pull a u-haul one way and that's really it, so i'm trying to keep the budget down and avoid renting a full sized truck. but yeah, ill basically be pulling a bed, desk, kitchen table and a bunch of boxes of clothes, etc. Nothing too heavy.
Unread 07-06-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

IIRC Uhaul actually sells install kits for wiring, they're really the best brick and mortar towing supply I've used. Or you can pick one up at larger parts stores.
Unread 07-06-2015, 01:26 PM   #5
jonsnw93
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I want to say I got one that plugs in on rockauto that was cheap. I didn't like the sound of splicing wires if I didn't have to
jonsnw93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
dirtydanzig
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I lucked up! Went back to pull-a-part and they just had a fresh 99 cherokee come in so snagged the harness plus a drive gear so I can finally get around to replacing that, and yeah for both total I only paid 6 bucks! Score.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.