Wiring in fog lights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Wiring in fog lights

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 01-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
geewally9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Wiring in fog lights

Ok I know wiring fog lights in with the wires that come with it is easy, but what I'm wanting to do is wire it to the factory switch that is in my jeep. I'm assuming there will be a wire run from the switch to the fuse box, then from fuse box to the lights. My question is do I just ground the switch and ground the lights, then run only the power wire from switch, to one end of fusebox, out the other to the fog lights? I'm not a big fan of electrical stuff so as simple of an explaination as possible would be awesome. Maybe even a picture?

2001 XJ CRAPPY ABS (Sold)
1998 XJ RC 6.5. 31x10.5. (Sold)
(Current)1996 XJ 4.5 RE super-flex kit. 33x10.5 (Locked and loaded) All were DD
geewally9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Use your factory switch and add your own relay, fuse, and wires. The factory wires and relay if installed, result in less than full performance of your lamps.

Wire the fog lamps like this diagram -> Fog Light Wiring with Bosch Relay

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Bain98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

my xj didnt have the foglamps in it but it has the switch and all the wires so i hooked up a light to them and hit the switch and sure enough it works. just check in the front and see if you have the wires for them already. you might now have to do anything but hook up the lights and hit the switch..
Bain98xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #4
geewally9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok thanks. This is originally a SE so I dunno if it has the wires but I will def look.
2001 XJ CRAPPY ABS (Sold)
1998 XJ RC 6.5. 31x10.5. (Sold)
(Current)1996 XJ 4.5 RE super-flex kit. 33x10.5 (Locked and loaded) All were DD
geewally9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
RWMiracle2

I have a 1999 XJ Sport. I am going to add fog lamps. I was told by my friend that is a Jeep Tech at a dealership that I add the factory switch, add a relay in the fuse block under the hood. Hook up the lamps and we have fog lamps. Everyone is saying the wiring is useless. Why would it be usless if it is there and already ran???
-Rob-
I went home and there is no wiring in the fuse block under the hood to recieve a relay.

Last edited by RWMiracle2; 08-16-2013 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: tested my theory.
RWMiracle2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If your 1997-2001 XJ Cherokee left the Toledo Jeep factory with fog lamps, all the necessary wires and relays are present.

If your Jeep did not come with factory fog lamps, then fog lamps are not plugs and play, portions of the wire harness and the relay sockets are missing.

A genuine Jeep fog lamp switch can be used for installing fog/driving lamps, but you will need to install your own wires and relays to run the lamps.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
sirvs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

To expand a bit from Tim above.
I'm going through this with my 99 sport that did not come with factory lights.

It comes with the stock socket being the front bumper, the switch wiring, and wiring for 1 relay.
The stock wiring requires 2 relays to work properly. The second relay wiring is missing all together.

To be honest, I don't know exactly which wiring is missing, and I don't care. I'm using partial of the stock and new wiring to wire mine up. Single relay for the switch to control the lights. I don't want my highbeams involved.
sirvs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

MVL requires fog lamps to automatically disengage when the hi beams are on. I don't know why. In times of heavy fog/snow, you don't want the Hi's on maybe not even the normal lamps. But other times??? Don't know how strict your inspections and don't know about your local constabulary. That being said, you can buy LED lamps for the fogs. They're available in yellow and are quite bright. If you know someone who is good with wiring, they can be added to the flashers, as well as making them strobe. As they draw little current, stock wiring is more than sufficient.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #9
RWMiracle2

Factory fog lamp switch.

Ok so I got this info as far as the factory switch.
Black-ground
Violet-12v
Lt. Blue-goes to terminal 85 on a relay.
Orange-switch illumination.

With that being said. If I install the factory switch into the connector. I run my own wire from the light blue to terminal 85 on a relay. Is the rest of the wires in the fog lamp switch connector already installed. Or do I need to hack more wiring into a hot source and dash lights???
Unread 08-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
sirvs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You'll need to hack more. The two wires from the factory fog don't lead to the relays; they go right past it.
I started tracing it then got annoyed once they crossed the block through the bundle near the cowl.
Im just going to wire the lights to the relay in the factory fuse box and the light blue to the relay to control it. Ground and 12 volt can be found within the ruse box already. Inline fuse probably to the lights. Just in case.
When I go for inspection just pull the relay so they don't work and cover them. Depending on your state, if aux lights don't work then they don't inspect them.
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
RWMiracle2

So the black wire in the switch connector doesnt ground anywhere. The Violet isn't ran to a 12V source. And the Orange isn't ran into the dash lights yet???

As far as the outside I am going to use the wiring that came with my lamps. Bring them over to the relay I put under the hood to the 87 terminal. Ground the 86 terminal. Run a 12V source with a 20AMP inline fuse and bring that Light Blue wire from the switch on the inside to the 85 terminal.

I just didn't know if the other 3 wires in the factory harness went to where they needed to on the inside for the switch. The only wire that needs to go out to the relay is the Light Blue.
Unread 08-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
sirvs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

To be honest, I'm not sure it the wires from the switch are fully run. I've never put a voltmeter to it.

The 12v should be hot at all times though. With the accessories on that is.
I think the switch is run though just not the high beam side.
Unread 08-16-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I added factory fog lights to my '98 SE.
I replaced the switch in the dash. The wiring harness in the dash was plugged into a dummy holder in the non-fog-light switch assembly. I just transferred it over to the new switch.
I plugged a relay into the spot in the underhood PDC for the fog lights.
I cut the holes open in the air dam and mounted the lights.
Now came the fun....
The harness under the hood had the light blue wire that powers the fog lights BUT the harness behind the headlights did not. I got a harness from the donor car but the side marker lights didnt work - it must have been pinched in the accident, developing a fault. I was able to salvage the light blue wire from the donor harness and fish it into my plug under the air cleaner box. This effectively got power across the plug and to the fog lights. I then grounded the lights into the black ground wire in the harness.
Feeling smug, I hit the switch and absolutely nothing happened. Very humbling.
Eventually, and with the help of my mechanic, I got them working by grounding the relay in the PDC so it would draw in. I shoved an 18 gauge wire in the slot and then shoved the relay in. I grounded the other end to a mounting screw for the cruise control.
Someday I intend to get a good front end fog light harness and put it in. That should eliminate the need for my little jumper.
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.