wires and cables from the transfer case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > wires and cables from the transfer case

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-14-2002, 01:42 AM   #1
cladinshadow

wires and cables from the transfer case

I know the speedometer runs from the transfer case, but i have some other electrical plug that's right next to the speedo hole. What's it for? Is it essential to the performance of the transfer case?

Also, the vacuum from the transfer case goes to the axle or up to the engine then down to the axle? My shop manual is about 0 help with all of this, so any i can get here is much appreciated.

"Oh, thank god. It's some sort of rescue toaster."
cladinshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2002, 09:11 AM   #2
glenzx

Someone will probably be able to really clarify this... but in my OLD '84 wagoneer, there was a mess of vacuum tubing for the T-Case. the whole system for shifting between 2WD and 4WD was vacuum powered. It went like this: MAnifold vacuum supply to switch in truck, from switch to T-Case and then from T-Case to front axle. The tubing was actually connected to shift 'motors'; one on the T-case and one at the front axle differential. Throw in a few extra crossover tubes and a check valve or two, and that was how the old vacuum system worked. It all had to be in perfect condition to operate, sometimes if I had a leak it would shift the T-Case but not the front differential! Worse, If the shift motor on the T-Case wasn't adjusted just right, the T-Case may not be in 2WD completely causing damage to the internal parts....same with shifting to 4WD... that was such a pain in the ***, getting iy all dialed in though...
I guess I am surprised that there is any vacuum connection at such a late model Cherokee.... is just a vent tube? Like on an automatic transmission or some diff's?? The wiring may be for the back-up switch, usually 1 or 2 wires....
Hope this helps or triggers a more helpful response!
glenzx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.