Windshield wiper problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Windshield wiper problems

NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-17-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
Mugzz819
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Windshield wiper problems

Hey all, sorry for another wiper thread, I've searched and searched but I'm not sure what step to take next. I'm a new cherokee owner but I've got 2 wranglers so I'm not new to the jeep world. My cherokee is a 96, country edition. When I bought it the wipers didn't work at all, only the washer fluid worked, but they gave me $300 off the price to take it as is. After doing research on here I found a guy parting one out and managed to get the circuit breaker, intermittant module and wiper motor for $20. I figured might as well buy all 3 at once for that price. Anyway, tried the circuit breaker first, then the module and neither fixed it so I threw in the motor and hi and low worked fine but not intermittant but I really didn't care enough at that point to dig deeper. Then one night I hop in, turn the jeep on and the windshield wipers randomly turned on and parked halfway up the windshield. They still work on high and low but won't park, the just stay in the middle of the windshield. It doesn't matter what position they're in when I turn them off, they always stop at the same place. I tried taking the intermittant module out and plugging the harnesses into each other with no change. I'm wondering if I should try another module or if it's time to start looking at wiring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Mugzz819 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
scott_jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The intermittent issue is pretty common, if you've replaced the motor and intermittant module then the last piece is the stalk. They run about $45-80 on rockauto.

For the parking issue, try removing the wipers and looking at the bushings. There is a thread on here where someone got some generic bushings from the Help section of a local parts store and popped them in. I don't think they were as bad as yours sound though.

edit: Here's the thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/w...s-jeep-268354/
scott_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

The parking function is controlled by a switch in the transmission for the wiper motor assembly.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Jeff View Post
The parking function is controlled by a switch in the transmission for the wiper motor assembly.
The technical name is the parking Paul, not to be confused with the parking John, Parking George or the more rare, Parking Ringo.
Mighty Thor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Mugzz819
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, is it possible to just replace the Paul or should I replace the whole motor with one from the JY? I do still have the old motor, I'm thinking if it's easy enough I could just try to change out the switch. What exactly am I looking for inside the motor? Thanks for all the help!
Unread 02-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Mighty Thor
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugzz819 View Post
Ok, is it possible to just replace the Paul or should I replace the whole motor with one from the JY? I do still have the old motor, I'm thinking if it's easy enough I could just try to change out the switch. What exactly am I looking for inside the motor? Thanks for all the help!
Dude, that was a joke. Paul, George, John, Ringo get it?

I have not done the wipers on a jeep, but on many others so.... it sounds like your wiper motor is functioning properly since it stops in the same place every time. I just sounds like your linkage is off, maybe 180 degrees out or so. Might want to cycle the wipers and when it stops, pull the crank off the motor and install it with the wipers in the proper park position.
Mighty Thor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Mugzz819
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, here's the update. I got tired of the wipers being halfway up the windshield so I started just pushing them down manually. Randomly, after pushing them down twice, everything works perfectly now. They park correctly and the intermittant works perfectly, which it hasn't done since I've owned it. I don't know if pushing them reset something or what, I guess it's just a Jeep thing lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.