Windows, mirrors, locks problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Windows, mirrors, locks problem

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 12-25-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
NaPeer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Windows, mirrors, locks problem

Hi all, let me tell you my problem. I have a 2000 Cherokee which I love. Within a week after buying it, the passenger side window would intermittantly stop working when controlled by the passenger. Driver side control of that window would still work. Thought it might be the window lock switch going out. This issue would come and go. Then about a month later, the ability to operate any window from any door stopped, including driver side controls and window. Then the ablility to operate the power door locks from the driver side quit. The light on the driver side door switch is out. The passenger side door switch light is on and I can operate the door locks from that door panel. The keyless remote still operates the locks. In addition, I can not operate the mirrors from the driver side panel. No noise or clicking.

I am thnking that this is an electrical issue, a wire or wires broke or shorting out. I am not electrically savy so any help in getting started will help. Do I just perform a visual inspection of the wires and connections? Do I use a multimeter? What should I look for first? Thanks Jeep owners

NaPeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Agent 000
Secret Agent Man

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like your driver's side door switch assembly gave up the farm. The're not too hard to change out, had to change one out on my 2000 XJ before.

Chili Pepper Red 1998 Jeep Cherokee Classic
Agent 000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
OnTheFence

You'll need to open the door panel, and possibly remove that entire wiring harness.
It goes from the inside door, behind the speaker, and into the door boot, and plugs into the kick panel wiring harness clips.
If you can remove the entire wiring loom, it will be easy to test for continuity and butt splice the busted wires, if any.
Google around.
OnTheFence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
NaPeer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info on the harness. I'll pull it and check it out.
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
ConradThomaier
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just replaced the driver's door module in my 2000 Cherokee. Very easy to do. A Dorman DDM was $66.03 with shipping from Rock Auto. See http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...919&cc=1363384.

The new DDM has a working door lock safety button, so I undid the wiring bypass. I believe you'll need to re-program the remote door openers as they are programmed to work with "a" specific DDM.
ConradThomaier is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.