window regulators fix?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > window regulators fix??

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
queball1989
1999 XJ Cherokee 

window regulators fix??

my 99 xj only has one window that works (drivers side front)
it really doesn't bother me, because mine still works but I want to be able to put all my windows up and down.
Anybody got any suggestions about how to fix the regulators?

queball1989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

What exactly is wrong with your windows? Please describe the behavior.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
queball1989
1999 XJ Cherokee 

well the windows dont work period, dont go up or down, but you can hear the motor in the window working but they don't move at all. im thinking about just taking the parts out of my friends junked xj
Unread 01-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #4
darkstar06109
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cherokee window regulators are kind of a weird design, I work for a glass company and have seen alot of them. Have you taken the door panels off to see if the window is still connected to the regulator? If it is still connected its a good bet that the gear on the end of the motor is striped out and not moving the regulator up and down. I just had to replace my two front regulators. I managed to pick both of them up for $30 each. They are pretty easy to install just 3 or 4 10mm bolts if i remember correctly
darkstar06109 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
queball1989
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I know that the passanger side has been taken apart and rigged multiple times but I'm not sure if it's the regulator or not but I believe the gear is stripped
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to tell you this, but this is the worst design ever. It is the "regulator" the motor drives a flexible shaft that raises and lowers the window. There are repair kits available on ebay. But it depends on how yours is broken. If the plastic shaft has separated from the motor housing, I think you are sunk. I've seen them on ebay. OEM down here(PR)was close to 300 as I recall. Be very careful installing the new one, the shop here bent it too tight and broke the new one. He bought the second one.

Regards,

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
queball1989
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWELK View Post
Sorry to tell you this, but this is the worst design ever.
Haha yeah no kidding. I can't figure out why Jeep would want to use a part like that but it is what it is ill be sure to use caution putting the new ones in, but I'm just going to jack the parts for all the windows(hopefully) instead of spending 300 bucks on a part that's probably going to break anyway
Unread 01-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #8
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Check out:

http://www.steigerperformance.com/products/sp12001.html
Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #9
queball1989
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
thanks I'll definitely have to take a better look at them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.