Will start but dies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Will start but dies

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear

Unread 01-04-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
88Cherokee904
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Will start but dies

i have an 88 Cherokee 2.5 4cyl 4 speed. i have replaced pump filter completely cleared out and cleaned the injector, throttle body and vacuum lines. i have replaced the coil and distributor as well as spark plugs. replaced isa motor. have checked all sensors and they read correctly on resistance. cannot find anywhere to check the codes. i have tried the ignition trick but i only have, a shift light emission maintenance light (which i read up on and have been told its a 1-way trip sensor on exhaust set for 88k which i can disconnect to turn off light) and a seat belt light. i have taken apart cluster and replaced bulbs and still nothing. i cannot locate the ecm if i even have one.

after replacing pump she will start and run but still wants to die out like there is no fuel, occasionally backfiring. that was when i cleaned the fuel pressure regulator and injector. it seemed to fix the problem. i drove 60 miles and im back to square 1 and she wont even start now. this morning i cleaned the egr valve in a hope of fixing the backfire problem (was careful not to get fluids or the carbon buildup inside) as well as checked the spark plugs (which i didnt install) and the plug for cyl 1 wasnt even gapped. put her back together and wont start at all anymore.

i have been told as well that i may have wrong spark plugs. currently auto-lite (been told made for fords) and have been advised to use acdelco.

i have tried all i know and need some experienced advice.

88Cherokee904 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 05:48 AM   #2
88Cherokee904
1988 XJ Cherokee 

i have put in new champion spark plugs and still nothing. i have been advised of control module or ecu having a short can cause my problem. but i have checked module at advance andthey said it was good. however i cannot find anywere to check the computer. is it possible to have a short in the control module beneath coil and it still read fine on a tester?
Unread 01-06-2011, 06:21 AM   #3
88Cherokee904
1988 XJ Cherokee 

---bump--- i need any answers advice. c-mon gurus
Unread 01-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

With any no-start, gotta determine what part of the starting equation you are missing.

Spark + fuel + compression + air = START.

1. Check for spark. Pull a plug, keep it attached to the plug wire, place the plug electrode near a good engine ground, have a buddy crank the engine while you watch. You are looking for a strong, blue, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark, which may not be strong enough to start the engine.

2. If spark checks out, try spraying a small amount of starting fluid or a splash of gas into the intake. If the engine starts and runs momentarily with this technique, you have just verified a fuel delivery problem.

Post back what you find and we can go from there.............
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
88Cherokee904
1988 XJ Cherokee 

i have already checked the fuel situation. she gets fuel for sure. i will check the plugs asap but i live fifty miles away from where she died.

whenever she stalls shep spits out just enough oil to be noticed out valve cover between cyl one and two. which is odd to me considering i put in a new valve cover two months (5k) ago. could this be a compression problem or something i have to search for internally.

i didnt mention that when the stalling first began to occur the pcv hiss' while the motor is running. i checked everything in corelation to that and nothing seems abnormal.

the last time i got her to start was with the throttle body to open air. idk if that matters at all though because that was only time i tried and it worked.

will have info on spark by this weekend hopefully.
also when i took out the autolite plugs there was too much buildup and scoring on the plugs, especially #2, they only had less than 200miles on em (4-6hr) of running time. i cecked it out and the closest guese i have is preignition when comparing to plug replacemet diagrams.
Unread 01-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
88Cherokee904
1988 XJ Cherokee 

[QUOTE=tjwalker;10737209]With any no-start, gotta determine what part of the starting equation you are missing.

Spark + fuel + compression + air = START.

1. Check for spark. Pull a plug, keep it attached to the plug wire, place the plug electrode near a good engine ground, have a buddy crank the engine while you watch.

no spark. new coil and decently new undamaged wires. module tested fine at store. ECM maybe?
Unread 01-08-2011, 07:56 PM   #7
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Have you tested the crankshaft position sensor?
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #8
88Cherokee904
1988 XJ Cherokee 

yup. read out fine
Unread 06-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #9
88Cherokee904
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I have got it running back t normal now, for about 10k miles. she still sputters every other time i start her up and want to die out no matter how long i let her warm up unles i get her up to speed the problem persists like she loses power alltogether no matter how much throttle i put into it the she jumps to life again.

new pump filter rebuilt throttle body, new injector, new vaccume lines. only thing i can think of is cps but it checks fine. but idk because my control module tested fine and that was my problem all along with this beast in the first place. last oil change a plastic wire wrap was hanging half burnt on the exhaust on passenger side of tranny and i dont quite know what it went to.

any advice? thanks.

Tags
emmision , fuel , stalls , wont start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.