Which will provide better flex. IRO 3-link vs Treks Y-link? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Which will provide better flex. IRO 3-link vs Treks Y-link?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 04-18-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Which will provide better flex. IRO 3-link vs Treks Y-link?

Like the title states, I was very interested in buying an IRO 6.5" LA 3-link but I'm looking for quality in the long run. Would I be better off buying the Y-link through treks or would the 3-link IRO hold its weight?

I've read a good amount so far but seeking more opinions on this exact question.

Edit: My largest concern would be the fact IRO is considering going to only adjustable LAs, though they haven't yet. Where as Treks Y-link is adjustable.

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Jeep89JV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Vassago
2001 XJ Cherokee 

flex depends on a lot more than what LA's to pick

MY BUILD THREAD: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/...lding-1575841/

My Photography Paul Lehr's Flickr
Vassago is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Assuming you were to use the same components with both of the LAs...I understand its not all on the arms.

[I][B]My Build Thread:[/B][/I][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/broke-kid-build-96-xj-1007038/[/url]

[B][I]New Mexico Driving Rules...[/I][/B][LIST][*]As a general rule, the vehicle most in need of a significant amount of bodywork (for which the driver is most likely uninsured) always has the right of way.[*]Never use directional signals when changing lanes. They only serve to give away your next move, causing most NM drivers to speed up and not let you in. In fact, use of directional signals within most large NM city limits is actual illegal.[*]NM law states that at least 50% of all paved surfaces within the state must be under construction at any one time. In all construction zones, at least half of the available lanes must be closed, regardless of whether any actual construction is be accomplished or not. Construction signs shall be regularly repositioned in order to warn drivers about upcoming lane closures immediately after they pass the last exit before traffic backups.
[*]Driving through constructions zones with upcoming lane closures is a popular game in NM. Itís called the "speed up and pass as many cars as you can, then see how close to the lane closure you can squeeze back into traffic before hitting any of the orange construction barrels" game.[/LIST]
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
Crunch
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Have you looked at the RK X-factor three link? I had this set up on my TJ. Was AWESOME. Out flexed the radius set ups others in my group had. Is super beefy to. Just throwing that option at ya.
Traded for my XJ - '98 ZJ was pretty and built at one time- Hp30, 8.8 and 5" lift and other stuff.
Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
Have you looked at the RK X-factor three link? I had this set up on my TJ. Was AWESOME. Out flexed the radius set ups others in my group had. Is super beefy to. Just throwing that option at ya.
Yes though its quite expensive considering if you are buying the Treks setup you also get good armor from their belly pan.

Unread 04-19-2010, 12:04 AM   #6
xjhavens
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Depends on what kind of money you want to spend. I've heard nothing but good things about both. I'd go with the treks, the selling point is the belly pan. Oh and the iro is not a 3 link, its a radius arm just like the treks. And non-adjustble arms a good if you are 100% you'll never have to move anything a 1/4 inch..ever!
xjhavens is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #7
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjhavens View Post
Depends on what kind of money you want to spend. I've heard nothing but good things about both. I'd go with the treks, the selling point is the belly pan. Oh and the iro is not a 3 link, its a radius arm just like the treks. And non-adjustble arms a good if you are 100% you'll never have to move anything a 1/4 inch..ever!
This is my dilemma. I have heard nothing but good things from both as well. Though for the money i'll be spending and plan on this being one of the final bolt ons for my suspension i'll be doing, I would like to not go the wrong route in the long run.

Unread 04-19-2010, 12:26 AM   #8
Starboard M

For a bolt on front suspension of a Cherokee, both will flex the same.

Most long arms, regardless of 3, 4 or radius arms will flex the same. Other factors such as shocks, brake lines and trackbar become the limiting factor.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:43 AM   #9
Muddeprived

IRO's will flex better. The 3-link setup doesn't have the binding that radius setups have.

By the way, if you call IRO, you can get the option for adjustable arms instead of fixed.

IRON ROCK OFF ROAD: XJ Critical Path Long Arm Upgrade

They have the option for the upgrade kit but I don't see it listed for the long arm complete kit but I'm sure you can get em to send you adjustables if you want em.
Flux Capacitor Heat Machine
Muddeprived is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:23 AM   #10
3fifty

The IRO kit is not a 3 link. The IRO Y Link Radius arms scare the poop out of me. The caster adjuster bracket that scares the hell out of me.

IRO is big in the WJ world and I run their track bar on my XJ but you couldnt pay me to run those links.

Run the TNT and when you get to buggy status build a 3 link.
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fifty View Post
The IRO kit is not a 3 link. The IRO Y Link Radius arms scare the poop out of me. The caster adjuster bracket that scares the hell out of me.

IRO is big in the WJ world and I run their track bar on my XJ but you couldnt pay me to run those links.

It's not?

Quote:
NOW HIGHER CLEARANCE AND BETTER TIRE CLEARANCE! We use an exclusive, non-binding, 3 link setup that has a pair of front long arms that will flex more than you thought possible. You WILL NOT bend these long arms as they are made from 5/16" wall DOM tubing. The bushings at the unibody are greasable super-flex joints that pivot to give as much suspension travel as your shocks will allow. We combine that with factory style rubber bushings at the axle for superior road noise and vibration dampening. As always, this kit is 100% bolt on! NO WELDING and only minor drilling is required for installation. No adjustment is necessary in any part except for our unique caster adjustment bracket that allows 7.5į of adjustability; plenty for any lift height from 4.5-8"!!
It attaches to 3 spots on the axle, making it a 3-link but you can call it a radius setup if you wish cuz it's somewhat similar.

I've heard nothing but good feedback from xj owners running this kit. There doesn't seem to be any issue with the caster brackets and if you are iffy about em then you can just ask em to give you adjustable arms instead.
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:19 AM   #12
3fifty

A 3 link would have 3 separate links.

It is Y link radius arm setup with an upper y link removed.

Its identical to the TNT setup minus the upper on one side.

IRO
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #13
Jeep89JV
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fifty View Post

The caster adjust bracket scares many including myself, though with a thread over on NAXJA for IRO customers so far, with over 125 replies not a single person has complained or had an issue with it yet.

Unread 04-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
Starboard M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
It's not?

It attaches to 3 spots on the axle, making it a 3-link but you can call it a radius setup if you wish cuz it's somewhat similar.

I've heard nothing but good feedback from xj owners running this kit. There doesn't seem to be any issue with the caster brackets and if you are iffy about em then you can just ask em to give you adjustable arms instead.
It is a radius arm. By your logic, the Treks radius arm is a 4 link, you think that looks anything like the stock style suspension?

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2010, 01:39 PM   #15
Muddeprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starboard M View Post
It is a radius arm. By your logic, the Treks radius arm is a 4 link, you think that looks anything like the stock style suspension?
Then someone outta tell Iron Rock Off road to stop calling their kit a 3-link. Until that happens, I'll continue calling it a 3-link.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.