Will installing a dropped pitman arm throw off my alignment? How bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Will installing a dropped pitman arm throw off my alignment? How bad?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 02-10-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Will installing a dropped pitman arm throw off my alignment? How bad?

I'm assuming it will screw with my toe-in? Or will it? I'm putting a ZJ pitman arm on the XJ...1"-ish drop.

And while I have you on the phone... the ZJ arm looks like it achieves it's drop just by having a steeper angle at the top... the mid section looks to be the same length, it's just a steeper angle where it bends up at the steering box end. I'm going on everyone's word that it's about a 1" drop... who's done a ZJ arm, and does it achieve about 1" of drop?

Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bump.... anyone?
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

yes it will mess with your toe and your steering wheel alignment. just think of it as lowering your suspension 1". it will have an effect, though not a major one. not sure about the ZJ arm in specific though

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #4
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990JEEPXJ View Post
yes it will mess with your toe and your steering wheel alignment. just think of it as lowering your suspension 1". it will have an effect, though not a major one. not sure about the ZJ arm in specific though
A drop pitman arm on a stock inverted Y steering XJ will barely affect toe.
It might turn your steering wheel some, but not much if any.

The pitman arm will lower the drag link, which you should keep parallel with your track bar.
Any small affect that has on your steering wheel being perfectly straight, can be changed by adjusting your drag link. Still, that should not affect toe.
Toe in/out is controlled by the tie rod.

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
yamazinger
1993 XJ Cherokee 

that diagram and explanation is how everyone should respond. so simple. thanks man!
yamazinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #6
ChicoXJ
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, it will toe the wheels out. How much depends on how much you are lifted.
ChicoXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicoXJ View Post
Yes, it will toe the wheels out. How much depends on how much you are lifted.
Well technically you're right.
His lift height will already have changed the angle of the drag link at the tie rod.
Since that angle is steeper, it will have toe'd in a real small amount.
I'm at 4" of lift, and have no noticeable change in toe. But I've never had mine on an alignment rack, only checked it with a tape.

Putting the DP arm in, will bring the top of the drag link back down, and flatten that angle back out, toe-ing it out some.
But we're talking about an amount that you could barely tell using most home alignment methods.
A rack would notice it sure, but it's gonna be a really small amount.

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks guys. I'm asking because I had it aligned by a shop after I did the lift...because on the last jeep I did it myself and that led to uneven tire wear

So I had it aligned, and now I'm going to change the pitman arm and I don't want to mess up what is currently perfect alignment. Maybe the guy that did it will throw it on the rack for me and check the toe after I do the pitman arm....

I'm only at 3.5" lift, but the Jeep is RHD...and I did a Iron Rock adjustable track bar, which comes with a 3/4" drop bracket. the RHD track bar has a bend in it to get it around the differential, and this bend in combination with the drop bracket makes the track bar contact my drag link when the wheels are turned at full-lock. I'm hoping the ZJ pitman arm will bring the drag link down enough to avoid the contact. It will also get me back closer to parallel with my track bar, since I dropped the track bar 3/4" and the Pitman arm is (In theory) a 1" drop.
Unread 02-12-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just finished the install... those things are ON there. Yeesh. Anyway I think it fixed my issue, and it rotated my steering wheel a full 180 degrees. More than ithought it could possibly move it. No biggie, but I am going to try to get the allignment guy to measure it. Im curious if it could have affected toe that much.
Unread 02-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
joshr1987

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pitman arm cannot affect toe. The toe is done by tie rod.
joshr1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

It is easy to fix the steering wheel by adjusting the drag-link. The toe is easily adjusted by turning the tierod, but if the shop will do it for free I would go that route.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2011, 06:16 PM   #12
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshr1987 View Post
Pitman arm cannot affect toe. The toe is done by tie rod.
If you look at the Y steering set-up the draglink is connected to the tierod and to the right side knuckle. Any difference in the drag link results in a difference in the toe setting.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
Unread 02-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah the steering wheel is no biggie, but I never thought it would move it that much...it's just a 1" drop. I posted this thread because the alignment guy said something about how it could throw off the toe-in and I didn't believe him... I'll take it in and see...

I could convince myself that if it moved the steering wheel alignment that much, all of the 'push' was on that end, and it didn't move the other end... I'm totally curious. The rack won't lie, I'll post up measurements when I get it to the shop. Might be Monday...
Unread 02-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #14
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The flatter the drag link gets the longer it will make the distance between the two front tires. I would assume the front would be toed out after the install.
Unread 02-12-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
joshr1987

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
If you look at the Y steering set-up the draglink is connected to the tierod and to the right side knuckle. Any difference in the drag link results in a difference in the toe setting.
Oh yeah, didnt think about the change in angle there
joshr1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.