Will i need new stearing stablizers if i put a three inch lift on my xj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Will i need new stearing stablizers if i put a three inch lift on my xj?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #1
chalivingston

Will i need new stearing stablizers if i put a three inch lift on my xj?

I've got a 99 Xj 4.0 with a stock suspension will I need new stabilizers if I lift it 3 inches?

chalivingston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nope. Unless the factory one isn't working properly.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 07-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
CitadelXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just remember if you go with bigger tires (33"+) or a lot of abusive trails you should either upgrade to an aftermarket steering stabilizer or be prepared to replace it every once in a while.
CitadelXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
ConnerXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You don't even really need a steering stabilizer. I'm running 3.5" of lift and 33's and my steering stabilizer snapped in two so I took it off and have been running fine without one for 3 months.

Flexin' cars for the stars and bars. 'Merica.
ConnerXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitadelXJ
Just remember if you go with bigger tires (33"+) or a lot of abusive trails you should either upgrade to an aftermarket steering stabilizer or be prepared to replace it every once in a while.
I don't run any stabilizer and it drives fine.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #6
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalivingston View Post
I've got a 99 Xj 4.0 with a stock suspension will I need new stabilizers if I lift it 3 inches?
There is only one steering stabilizer on an XJ, you certainly don't need two.

After lifting, what you need to do is remove the SS, do a proper front- end alignment, drive for a awile to make sure you don't get DW, only then install a new SS if you want to run one. If you plan to wheel your Jeep, I'd strongly consider swapping to stronger aftermarket stuff (or at least do a ZJ V8 tierod swap). Also make sure all steering and suspension components are in top notch condition. Loose/ worn parts in the front cause DW and other steering- related issues, which are not cured by an SS. You can run one if you want, it definitely won't hurt anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitadelXJ View Post
You don't necessarily even need a steering stabilizer if the steering is set up properly. It does help on certain aspects, but isn't necessary at all. I've been running two XJs on 35s with no SS, no DW, no other issues, and I run my ZJ on 32s with no SS - zero issues.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.