Wife wanted her XJ lifted - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-12-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
cgraefe

We've owned the XJ since Oct of 1998 and she wanted it lifted since we first got it. I procrastinated it at first because of the warranty, then later because I was being cheap. Since it never happened and she was never going to let me have it, I went ahead and picked up a 2017 Wrangler Unlimited, which the dealer lifted to fit 35's. So that left the 32's available for her XJ. Which meant that it needed a 4.5" Lift for them to fit, which helped the worn suspension.

My question is about the Drive Shafts, what mods should I do?

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-12-2017, 11:49 PM
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

if you aren't getting any vibes or shakes then drive it as it is also that's a lot of lift for 31s...
post #3 of 6 Old 07-13-2017, 04:55 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would not drive it very much as is, there is a risk of u-joint and transfer case wear or damage from the excessive drive line angles. The Cherokee will very likely need a Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) and a rear driveshaft to fit the SYE.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-13-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
cgraefe

I did notice a slight vibration when decelerating, which is what brought about my question. With 250k miles on the XJ, I'm not opposed to just replacing the Drive Shaft. It's never let us down and at this point I'll spend the money on it to keep the wife happy. Dropping $10k on it is still better than buying a $40-50k new vehicle.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-13-2017, 11:13 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Vibrations that were not present before the lift may be from worn u-joints, but a Cherokee lifted more 3 or so inches really needs an SYE to relieve the excessive drive line angles. Excessive angles will shorten the life of u-joints and shorten the life of the transfer case output shaft bearings. An SYE is low cost insurance. Most Cherokee owners buy the Advance Adapters style heavy duty SYE and then either have a custom double cardan drive shaft built, or find a good used XJ Cherokee front drive shaft to use with the SYE.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-14-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
cgraefe

So the SYE and replacement Drive Shaft have been ordered. Now I just have to wait for them to come in. Guess my wife can keep driving my Jeep until I get her's finished.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.