Wierd Speaker Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Wierd Speaker Issue

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 09-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
dmlacrosse42
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wierd Speaker Issue

OK, so i have a 2000 jeep cherokee limited, and ive had an issue with the drivers side front speaker a few months after i bought it. I did some research and found that this isnt an uncommon issue. It usually resolved itself just by opening and closing the door a few times, and it would be back in working order. This week, it cut out again, and the usual trick of opening and closing the driver door didnt fix it. I looked at the wires, and from what ive heard, the green wire is the ground wire which most likely frayed. I got my fingers on it and felt inward towards the head unit and it broke right there. I grabbed some wire i had laying around, and just temporarily grounded it to a bolt on the inside of the door where the hinge is. Now heres my issue......the speaker is half as loud as the rest, AND when i turn the power on in the car, only the two rear speakers work. I have to open my drivers door and slam it, and then both front speakers work. The front right plays fine, but the front left doesn't. Id like to fix this rather than paying a nice penny. I know for a fact it isn't the speaker because i just replaced it. Any tips?

dmlacrosse42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I hope you didn't ground a speaker wire to the body.......... that is not how the system works. All neg speaker wires MUST return to the head unit itself only. Run a new pair of wires to the speaker if you want it to work, that flex point is bad on wires to
Unread 09-13-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
JeepFreak1982
1998 ZJ 

Open the door and remove the rubber boot from the door and body. Slide it into the body or door and fix the broken wires. Im sure you will find more than one. The XJ door boot wiring is terrible.
JeepFreak1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
NJXJ91
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I just ran completely new wires from the deck to the head unit. A little time consuming but now I dont have to worry about any of that
NJXJ91 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
dmlacrosse42
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ok, now its a stock head unit. how do i get behind it so i can run a new wire to the door
dmlacrosse42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #6
JeepFreak1982
1998 ZJ 

The speaker wires are not the only wires that crack. They all do and every one of em is a problem. Last XJ i fixed had 9 broken wires and 4 more that were broken 1/2 way through. That was just the drivers door.
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
cake
2001 XJ Cherokee 

when i installed speakers and a head unit i found quite a bit of broken wires. the good news is that I now have working front speakers. the bad news is now i know how much of a pain in the *** its going to be to fix the rear window, and side view mirror.
cake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
JeepFreak1982
1998 ZJ 

The Jeep i mentioned above came in with all sorts of problems. Keyless problems, power lock problems, power window problems, all caused by the broken wires in the drivers door boot. If you are having power window problems or power mirror problems you may very well have the same issues.

Tags
cherokee , speakers , wiring , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.