Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

wierd electrical problem

517 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  89laredoxj 
#1 ·
ok well i have a 89 cherokee laredo and two days ago i got this wied electrical problem... i turn the key to start it and nothing happens.. but with the key in the "run" position the only two things that will work are the locks and the headlights, nothing else.. no windows,horn,windshield wipers,radio or anything else.. and it also wont start or make any kind of noise when i turn the key. oh and the gauges wont "reset" when i turn the key either.. i have a new battery, alternator, starter bout a year ago. ive also checked all the fuses and made sure that the wire's from the battery to the starter and alternator weren't burnt and such... can anyone help me with this.. i would be greatly appreciated.. thanks

#2 ·
ok so i just spent 2 hours messing with stuff and havnt found out much.. but with the key in the "on" position i tested alot of stuff.. first i tested the starter.. it has power.. then alternator has power.. but the fuse block insde of the car has no power what so ever.. neither does the control module.. i tapped the starter and it started to crank but no start.. im starting to have bad feelings about the computer itself.. i ran a jumper wire from the postive terminal on the battery to the radio fuse slot (to roll the windows up) and everything worked.. but it still didnt make no noises when i tried to start it. also while i was down by the fuse block i looked at a wire that i ran from the electric fan to the fuse block..( just a temporary fix for the fan) but i noticed that it got pinched and it grounded out on the body.. so i figure this is the cause of the problem.. but what would i have blown?? please someone help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.