why you shaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > why you shaking

Black Rhino Off Road Wheels + Free ShippingThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 08-13-2012, 04:04 AM   #1
JONNYROCKET
2000 XJ Cherokee 

why you shaking

ok, so this is my first XJ well jeep period and im still learning about it.
im not a big mechanic and was looking for advice on how to get my xj to stop shaking at 50 mph ive been told bad shocks and or brakes and rotors. When doing 50-55mph and I go on the brake the shaking is twice as bad. its not the rotors because i've already replaced them along with the pads. i just put new shocks on and the shaking got worse. i have already rebalance the tires which made it better but after the shocks it was back to where i started. ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL BE HELPFUL. i've already put well over a k in parts because the previous owner was clueless about taking care of the jeep.

Last edited by JONNYROCKET; 08-13-2012 at 06:06 AM..
JONNYROCKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
ShaysXJnc

My xj did this when I had mis matched, un evenly worn tires. I have a 3 in lift and running 31s. I tried putting the most squared off ones up front, and still, awful death wobble between 46-48 mph. Started off as a sometimes thing and eventually it happened every time. Funny, but the more muddy the tires and rims were, the less wobble I got. Finally got a set of evenly worn tires and had an alignment done, and of course, balanced the tires as best as humanly possible... No more shaking to the point of a full on wobble, but it still has a small 'shimmy' that doesn't bother me at all.

Ps, When I took the old tires off, I hosed down my rims and got several pounds of mud off that was caked on, too.
ShaysXJnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
JONNYROCKET
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ya i got some uneven ware to the front tires but thats how they were when i got it,didnt know if that would be a factor since i balanced them to their current condition. ill check it out im gonna switch them to the back and see if there is a difference because the rear tires are practically new.
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:27 AM   #4
ShaysXJnc

My old, uneven tires were balanced, but because my alignment was off, the balance wasnt so much a problem as was the alignment was all out of wack.

If you have two good tires, why not try to find another pair of evenly worn tires and ditch the un even ones? I would bring it to an alignment place once you have four tires you feel comfortable using for a little while...that way you won't be incurring the cost of an alignment more than once in a short amount of time. Switching the tires you have now may by you some time, OR you may end up wearing those like-new tires unevenly, too.

Imo, don't let the death wobble go on for very long or risk more damage and more repair bills to other parts of your XJ. This will not just affect your tires
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:38 AM   #5
JONNYROCKET
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ya, im currently stationed in germany and getting the BFGoodRich at's takes awhile cause i get them from tirerack.com
ha i been meaning to get the alignment fix for about a week now ha takes a right turn with my wheel straight ahead
i kinda new that had some to do with it because my old saturn vue did the same thing but the hub assemblies were bad on the front
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #6
JONNYROCKET
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ok so now let me ask has anyone had all the front speakers go out and only the very back two work.
has an aftermarket radio installed was like this when i bought it .
im just considering this XJ my project/ full time jeep
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
ShaysXJnc

Just drive it at lower speeds for now
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
ShaysXJnc

I've had all sorts of wiring issues with different car stereos too... Seen some interesting wiring that people have done. Do your front speakers sometimes work and sometimes not or are they not at all working?
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
zachndorsett
1996 XJ Cherokee 

After installing my 3" lift from RC, i had lots of rear vibrations, did a TC drop about a 1/2" and that stopped that. Also my old tires were over inflated and pretty worn down, about 30% tread. I replaced them with some 32" bfgoodrich and aired them down to 20 psi and they run amazing. I drive it down the interstate at 70mph, around town, and gravel trails. Cant feel anything, i love them! But i still get the death wobble at about 50mph, thats because since the new lift and tires i have yet to get an alignment and now i need a balance, doing it today though so hope it helps!
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #10
JONNYROCKET
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaysXJnc View Post
I've had all sorts of wiring issues with different car stereos too... Seen some interesting wiring that people have done. Do your front speakers sometimes work and sometimes not or are they not at all working?
the previous owner said sometimes when you hit a bump they try to work and make a weird sound but that has yet to happen for me all four door speakers dont work im currently just using the rear speakers
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:29 AM   #11
ShaysXJnc

The same thing happened in my Yj, the speakers would go in and out. I took out the head unit and there were some wires barely connected, just hanging there. Plugged back in and presto, all speakers working. Probably an easy fix, even if it isn't that
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #12
ShaysXJnc

Or 'speaker' (singular) started working, lol...
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
JONNYROCKET
2000 XJ Cherokee 

ok well thats food for though ill check it out see if they work again

Tags
2000 , 2000 xj , cherokee , shaking , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.