Why is my Transmission mount like this?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Why is my Transmission mount like this??

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 12-10-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Why is my Transmission mount like this??

So, My problem has been a rough rattle/ vibration at about 1800 RPM's Mostly in 3rd gear. (Automatic).
Can't figure out that the heck is going on. So I tossed it in to 4x4 just for the heck of it. and it got worse. Really worse, so I took it back to the house and up on the ramps and started looking. Then I noticed this. I have had problems with a stripped bolt on one side of the mount and know that it was resting on the cross-member before. Now for some reason its about 3/4" above the support.
How can it do that??
I looked at the motor mounts, but they seem fine, What on earth could make this ride this high off of the support? I figure that its riding high and hitting the body and causing the vibration of the cab. Maybe even causing the knock sensor to adjust the way the motor runs.
Any thoughts??

jeep-12.10.12-001.jpg  
ad-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

here is one from the other side
jeep-12.10.12-003.jpg  
Unread 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The transmission mount appears to have failed and needs replacement. New motor mounts would also be a good idea.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You should also find and fix the source of that tranny fluid leak.
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Enough fluid has leaked out to make the tranny lighter, and it floated up!

Sorry... couldn't resist. Your mount is shot, as mentioned. Don't know how it "exploded" out like that, but it is holding everything up.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #6
BigByrd47119
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yikes, at least they are fairly easy to replace. As said, check engine mounts at a minimum, replace to be on the safe side.
BigByrd47119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #7
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Tranny mount is clearly shot. You can very well see it's cracked. You can find them at rockauto for WAY cheaper than the part store. I paid like 30 bucks for the tranny and 2 motor mounts.

The leak is coming from the gasket, looks like.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, i know it needs replaced. And yes my 24 yr old jeep is leaking.
Thanks.
The question is, Why is it sitting so far above the support bar?
It is my logic that the motor and the tranny are bolted together. They both are held in place by two motor mounts and one (this one) tranny mount. The the two drive lines. Agreed?
So what of those 5 points would make the tranny rise and ride 3/4" above this support?? I think that gravity would keep it down on the cross member. So either the side in the drive shaft is locked up somehow but will not correct its self or the motor mounts are so shot that the whole thing has jumped up on something and is also lot correcting its self. But if that were the case wouldn't the tranny still weight its self down to the cross member? When i had to put a bolt back into the tranny at this support a couple of months ago, it was sitting down on it.
Just can not figure out why it is riding like this.
I am so sick of working on this thing that it is parked for now.
Unread 12-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

XJ trannys have residual anti gravity powers coming from the dark side of the force

I think you're asking yourself too many questions. You won't know how high it's supposed to be until you find yourself raising the transmission to make room for the new mount. I gained about an inch when I changed mine; didn't know it was that low.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

The tranny and motor bolted together makes a "unit"... one big piece. The unit is held in place by two motor mounts and one tranny mount. Three points only. Remove those three points and the whole shebang hits the ground. Your rubber tranny mount appears to be making contact with the crossmember. How can it sit lower when it is resting on the crossmember? I don't know what a new mount looks like. I just got my first-ever Cherokee, but logic says it can't go any lower than where you are now.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Unread 12-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #11
ad-man
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Well i finally got time last weekend and took the mount off. I took it to the parts store to make sure they gave me the right one. As it turns out, that is the way it is supposed to look. Guess i just thought it was flat before. So now i have at least removed that from the list of possible causes for this heep running as it ad as it is.
Unread 12-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #12
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad-man View Post
Well i finally got time last weekend and took the mount off. I took it to the parts store to make sure they gave me the right one. As it turns out, that is the way it is supposed to look. Guess i just thought it was flat before. So now i have at least removed that from the list of possible causes for this heep running as it ad as it is.
Any progress is good progress! Congrats on eliminating one concern.

Unread 12-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
RLE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I had a bad oil leak (rear seal in the transmission was bad) that I let go for awhile, just kept filling it. Then one day the trans mount rotted out and the tranny would hop around when in a high torque situation. The driveshaft u-joint would clack against the floor pan. I don't know for a fact that the oil rotted out the mount but it sure didn't do it any good.
RLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.