Why is my steering geometry wrong? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Why is my steering geometry wrong?

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

First, a little bit of back story.

I've got a 96 cherokee country that I installed a 3" BB and hydro 7000 shocks on almost a year ago. Prior to the lift install I had 1 instance of death wobble happen on the highway at about 65mph. Shortly after the lift was installed I put a new track bar bushing in and did not have any DW issues until just recently.

Now the current issue.

I've had 2 DW outbreaks in the past 2 weeks. This provoked me to start looking around underneath. Only now do I notice that my axle is not centered from the lift. This I understand. But I'm not sure why my track bar and drag link are not perfectly parallel. If I understand it correctly, (which I may not) shouldn't those two remain parallel as long as nothing is changed about the mounting points? (I.e pitman arm drop, tb drop bracket)

I'm pretty sure I can chalk my dw up to a combination of poor alignment (apparent by horribly unevenly worn tires) and said unevenly worn tires and also I think my driver side caliper is sticking slightly.

Anyway, I attached a pic of my suspension geometry, maybe it's not as bad as it seems to me. someone set me straight if I'm wrong about anything here. Sorry for the crappy pic and thanks for your replies!

I added the arrows just because everything is so muddy and dirty it was hard to tell things apart haha

image-1827868023.jpg

macklamar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

At 3" of lift , your steering geometry is fine. After the lift, what did you do with/for the track bar to re-center the axle under the body ? Re-drill the axle side hole, lift kit bracket, aftermarket track bar, or nothing ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Nothing lol. I only just noticed it a week or two ago. I'm debating re drilling or just buying an adjustable tb right now.
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Get the axle correctly centered under the body. At about 2-3" of lift you should be considering an aftermarket adjustable track bar instead of a Band-Aid fix that may cause issues later on.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well here's an idea that I just recently started to formulate...

When I installed the new tb bushing, the hole was very wallowed out. So I drilled the hole out larger an used a larger bolt. Now I'm thinking of maybe cutting the whole axle side mount off and machining a new, heavier one and welding it back on in the right place.

Is this something people have done before?
Unread 08-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have had good results with simply plating the front side of the bracket with 1/4" steel welded on.

trackbarfix.jpg

Unread 08-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hm, well that is definitely something I'll consider doing. Thanks for the help.
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
I have had good results with simply plating the front side of the bracket with 1/4" steel welded on.
X2 for plating the bracket, I have seen multiple times where the lower trackbar bracket bolt hole has wallowed out and that can open a can of worms if you aren't prepared.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #9
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hey cj7-tim, I noticed reading in some other threads that you run (or at least ran) a double shear TB. Is there any merit to me looking into that setup? IRO's website makes it sound pretty appealing, but I realize that they are just trying to sell me a track bar lol. I DD my Cherokee but I do some semi-serious off roading whenever I get the chance.

It seems like a really good price for such a complete set up.
Unread 08-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I run the IRO double shear trackbar, and it's a very good option for a lifted vehicle.

The 0-5" has plenty of adjustment left where I sit ~5" and I can drive 75-80 mph w. ZERO DW.

I also run the IRO tie rod as the OEM is a toothpick compared to it - especially if you're running oversized tires.

I'm not an IRO fanboy, but I strongly endorse their trackbar setup.
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

IRO is just across town. They make very good parts, and they 4wheel what they build. Their DS track bar is one of the best, and I recommend them for any lifted Jeep.

Unread 08-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yea I think I'm gonna buy one of these this weekend...
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #13
macklamar
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just ordered one, as well as their steering stabilizer. Hoping to be able to put it on next weekend =)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.